U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if there is anyone here that lives in N. Davidson County and could give us information about the area. We are looking at that area but want to make sure it's right for us. We are looking at propery between Lexington and Welcome.

Also, I have been reading the threads on Yankee's and I'm concerned that we will make this move and hate it because no will will accept us because we are "Yankees."

Actually, we have lived in PA all our lives but never felt like we fit in here but always liked the South.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 112,302 times
I live in Davie County, which is adjacent to Davidson County. Don't worry about the Yankee thing...they are everywhere! I work in real estate and my partner is as Yankee as they come, he's from Long Island. We have a lot of people relocate here from the north and I have never heard one of them say they were uncomfortable being a former Yankee (you know you must become a Tarheel if you move here). Email me and let me know specific info you are looking for and maybe I can help.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,355 times
I will send you an email - we just moved there this month. So far, so good!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,785 times
Default Lexington, Nc

Hi...Read your post and just wanted to let you know that Lexington, Nc is a very nice Small town, although listed as a city. The people down here are very friendly and polite not like the people in NY or NJ. My partner and I bouhgt a house here last year and moved from So Jersey and aside missing family, DO NOT miss the north at all. Lexington is a great choice, eing thet it is in the 'Triad' area which means between High Point, Winston-Salem, and Greenboro. All which are quite large cities for the south. There are all the stores you were use to up north, super Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Macy's, JC Penney, Pier One, etc, etc. SO! come on down the south is great. Beautiful country and never a lack of things to do and places to visit...We will NEVER move back up north

Old 02-05-2007, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,784 times
Default Lexington is not for Northerners

My family and I moved to south Davidson county in 2003. We were tired of the northern winters and yearned for warm weather. We did a thorough search via the internet of school systems, crime rates, etc. and made a trip down to visit. Liked what we saw, housing prices were very affordable, along with property taxes.

We sold our home and made an offer on a house we had looked at during our visit. Everything fell into place and 6 weeks later we moved. I was able to arrange transfer within my company and immediately began work. My husband had a much harder time and was finally employed a month later.

It took several months before most of my coworkers became friendly. I was frequently called "Yankee" as was my husband. We were alarmed at the degree of segregation that surrounded the Lexington area. MY children had a very difficult time in school making friends and being accepted. It became so bad that the children begged to go back home. We did move back after the school year ended.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM

35 posts, read 51,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHME View Post
My family and I moved to south Davidson county in 2003. We were tired of the northern winters and yearned for warm weather. We did a thorough search via the internet of school systems, crime rates, etc. and made a trip down to visit. Liked what we saw, housing prices were very affordable, along with property taxes.

We sold our home and made an offer on a house we had looked at during our visit. Everything fell into place and 6 weeks later we moved. I was able to arrange transfer within my company and immediately began work. My husband had a much harder time and was finally employed a month later.

It took several months before most of my coworkers became friendly. I was frequently called "Yankee" as was my husband. We were alarmed at the degree of segregation that surrounded the Lexington area. MY children had a very difficult time in school making friends and being accepted. It became so bad that the children begged to go back home. We did move back after the school year ended.
How true- all us northerners always think the southerners where brought up right, are friendly,full of southern hospitality, where? I walk around with a smile and wave to many people in my area only to be met with scowls, hey i have financial prob.s and personal things goin on too, a Wave is free!!! Come on people,stop being so closed minded. I moved here to live in the country, not to have malls all around or trees cut down, so this "yankee "doesn't want to change the good, very beautiful area. Only our neighbors that are over 65 know how to act. Northerners take note- they are no more nicer in the south, people are miserable no matter where you are. You would think because at least we come from the east coast (the right coast as we call it) would be a little nicer. What gives?? I ain't going no where, i've spent some money here to enrich the housing market as well as retail economy, and there is not a job in sight for me or anyone else in lexington, no matter where you're from although- if you know someone and "are from around here", no matter how inept you are , that person does get the job b4 you, three months later the as is on the inernet again. Why do northerners accept southerners and it the opposite here? I am really trying to understand this attitude that has been passed down through generations.
I am American! This is my coutry.
God bless our troops, God bless America.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM

101 posts, read 313,735 times
I live in between Thomasville and Denton in Davidson County, and I moved from northern NY State to here in 2005. It was actually a whole lot more rural and less developed up there than it is here in NC, and things move at a faster pace here than what I was used to for the first 50 years of my life. One huge difference I've encountered is that my neighbors think it's sinful to mow the lawn on Sunday, some of them don't even cook on Sundays or spend money anywhere (restaurants or stores). Oh well, to each their own. You learn to adapt, or be miserable, your choice. The city of Lexington wouldn't be my first choice of a place to live, although there are tons of houses for sale there. Depends what you're looking for -- if you want to find the "perfect place", I'm afraid that doesn't exist.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:07 AM

201 posts, read 519,307 times
I live in N. Davidson Co and love it. I grew up in W/S though so I am southerner all the way. My husband moved here from TX but he grew up in Pittsburgh so he is a yankee I suppose! I can tell you one thing we "southerners" do not like is being referred to as stupid just because we grew up here. My thought is if "yanks" want to make fun of the people or culture here then they shouldn't move here!

I think that the problems mentioned above about ppl being rude in Davidson Co. could be due to a generational thing. I am pushing 50 and I have noticed that ppl under 30 don't seem to have the common courtesy and manners we all were brought up to live by. The poster who left after a year because of kids not adjusting, where your kids in high or middle school? Those are tough years no matter what state you are in. Also for the one who said they moved here to live with nicer people and be in a place full of southern hospitality. Well, look at all the northerners who have transplanted here! The "southern hospitality" is a bit watered down by skeptical yankees! LOL Just a thought, not trying to stir the pot.

I do agree with someone else above that you need a job lined up 1st! So many people move here and think how they will save money, better climate, etc...but sometimes fail to secure a job. The economy is depressed here just like so many other cities/states. So if you have a job where you are I do wonder why you are considering a move down here?

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and your family!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM

72 posts, read 164,238 times
Well I will ask a question since there seems to be some life on this thread! YEY! Can someone tell me about some of the townships around Lexington? We will be either relocating to Davie or Davidson within six months and schools are the number one priority. My kids are in elementary, but once we move we will not move again so I need good middle and high schools too. I hear a lot of good things about Arcadia, Welcome and I think it is Walburg? Also that the North DAvidson schools are better? Is there an area I should stay away from? Thank you!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 AM

231 posts, read 610,286 times
Ha. Townships. You must be from "up north."
Just kidding. We have "townships" here, but they've been essentially meaningless divisions of land for many decades. Everything here is cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro), towns (Lewisville, Midway) and unincorporated communities (Arcadia, Wallburg).

The areas you mention seem to be popular and the people I know who live there really like them. Not my cup o' tea, but if you're into exurban life then it might be up your alley... er, cul-de-sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point