Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

He certainly was a .. colorful ... public figure

Former Sheriff Gerald Hege Files to Run Again - WGHP (http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-hege-files-to-run-100209,0,4034248.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM

273 posts, read 950,199 times
His methods were certainly interesting, but you have to question if having a convicted felon as sheriff is the way to showcase of your county's law enforcement. The sheriff can't even OWN a firearm?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM

84 posts, read 216,899 times
They're about to amend the state constitution to prohibit clowns like Hege from being sheriff. Maybe he can run for dog catcher- suits his competence.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 AM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
I know a lot of critics dislike him but what he did for drug convictions was awesome. People were getting busted left and right as they drove thru Davidson County. I don't like the unethical things he himself fell prey to but overall he is good for the area.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM

84 posts, read 216,899 times
I often wonder how many of those convictions were legit. His most infamous stunt though was profiling the Democratic county commissioners after a meeting for DUI's. I remember that one in the Enterprise a few years ago- that's what turned me on him.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstal View Post
I often wonder how many of those convictions were legit. His most infamous stunt though was profiling the Democratic county commissioners after a meeting for DUI's. I remember that one in the Enterprise a few years ago- that's what turned me on him.
IMO, that's what contributed to his downfall. Everyone in Davidson county was okay with his tactics as long as those tactics were used on crooks by definition. When he started using these tactics on "law abiding citizens" the s**t hit the fan.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
This is in no way an endorsement of Hege; I think the man is an abomination. I can't believe that the law allows him to run for sheriff now, but for what it's worth... When we lived in W-S, my husband worked in Welcome. It was a 12 mile drive each way, most of it on US 52. He said that after Hege left office, there was noticeably less traffic enforcement (speeding, etc) on the Davidson County part of his drive.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM

273 posts, read 950,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
This is in no way an endorsement of Hege; I think the man is an abomination. I can't believe that the law allows him to run for sheriff now, but for what it's worth... When we lived in W-S, my husband worked in Welcome. It was a 12 mile drive each way, most of it on US 52. He said that after Hege left office, there was noticeably less traffic enforcement (speeding, etc) on the Davidson County part of his drive.
Personally, I feel traffic enforcement in no way shape or form should be considered law enforcement. Traffic cops have one duty, to produce revenue for the town/city/county/state they work for. The stretch of US-52 from W-S to 85, has no real reason for heavy patrol (light traffic, open 4 lane road with limited on/off ramps). I think once police/sheriff depts start to realize there's money to be had by putting a cop on an overpass for 2 shifts a day, they take away from actually benefiting the community they are working for. Being pulled over doesn't deter speeding, it just creates more of a traffic problem than before. Sorry for the hijack, but the true worth of Law enforcement is not how many cops you see on the side of the road running radar. And most drugs SHOULD be legalized-another topic I'm sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point