U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 PM

42 posts, read 90,223 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Greensboro area. My most important priority is the school situation.

I am flexible on the exact location. We could live anywhere in the Triad area based on schools. I would really like to have good public schools.

I have one child that will be entering 8th grade. She is advanced/honors/gifted in the liberal arts areas and I would like a high school for her that has IB program or plenty of honors/AP classes. She is also a competitive swimmer, so a good swim program is high on her list. She would like to swim competitively in high school as well.

I have another child that will be entering 5th grade. He has mild aspergers and at this time has no IEP or special accommodations in school. He is strongest in math, science and technology but struggles in language arts. I am really hoping to find a good magnet type school or pre-engineering type academy but a good strong math program at a minimum. He is also interested in golf and swimming.

We have a very active family with a strong interest in outside activities, politics and arts. We are fairly conservative with an artsy influence.

If we move to the area my husband will have a job. I work very part time for an author and would be able to continue my position from home. I could also easily get a teaching certificate and might consider returning to teaching in the future.

We would like a reasonable 3-4 bedroom house 2-3,000 square feet. I'm open to very cookie-cutter suburban or ecelctic older neighborhoods. The most important issue would be friends for the kids. We would like to rent a home for the first year but would need to be in a good area that we could buy and stay in the same school district.

We like to eat out, go to the movies, shop everything from small independent stores to the big box retailers. We are most interested in anything aquatic related. My children were mostly raised at the beach and in waterparks at Disney.

I prefer more city than rural but don't want city crime. I'd like to be near a university -- preferably with medical or research capabilities to help with behavioral issues related to my son's aspergers.

I would really appreciate any input. I have looked at school rating sites, but I would love to hear specifically from people with first hand experience. I've tried to be as specific as possible about "wants" but I'm likely a little more flexible than it comes across. My husband's job wants an answer right away.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

61 posts, read 149,451 times
Where would you be moving from?

It sounds like Grimsley might be a good fit for your older child. They have a great IB program and the school is often nationally ranked. It's also one of the few schools in the district that has its own pool for high school swimming. Grimsley also (or at least it used to) offers unique classes like Hebrew, so you might not necessarily have to live in it's zone for your children to go there. They would just have to take a class not offered anywhere else.

The city is just about to break ground on a new competitive aquatic center so your kids should have some great swimming facilities to look forward to. The Greensboro swim scene is very active. And I'm sure your kids will enjoy Emerald Pointe since you say you're an aquatic family.

In terms of accommodations for your younger child, you'll need to check with the school system (http://www.guilford.k12.nc.us/depts/EC/ec_home.htm - broken link) about which schools offer assistance. But I do know that there are schools that offer IEP. Aspergers, however mild, is in the autism family of disorders. And the school system just approved plans for two more autism wings at different schools. So there may be new opportunities for him to receive specialized attention but remain in traditional classes at the same time.

The UNCG area sounds like it might be a good fit for you, since you'd like to be near a university. Although, living directly adjacent to one isn't really necessary. Wake Forest, Duke, and UNC medical centers would all be within an hours drive.

Cookie cutter homes are more likely to be found in the outlying edges of the city and suburbs. So city life will probably require an older-ish home. But there are plenty of affordable options. A visit is really in order to get the lay of the land in terms of housing.

Best of luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM

42 posts, read 90,223 times
Thanks so much. I'm "slightly" familiar with the area. I grew up in Virginia Beach. My father has a home in Maggie Valley. I used to have in-laws in Charlotte, and I've been to Greensboro but not for a long, long time. Unfortunately, his job wants an answer immediately, so no time to make a quick trip. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM

61 posts, read 149,451 times
anything else in particular you'd like to know?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
I'm also considering a move to the Triad. Regarding redistricting, how often is it done? I'm coming from Pitt County (Greenville NC) and some of the busing issues were annoying. We just want to know where our daughter (4th grade in the fall) will be going to school, hopefully based on where the home we buy is located. It's frustrating when the attendance boundaries are changed every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point