U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,046 times

Advertisements

to cthegood

Thanks for the encouraging note. You're right about prices with regard to housing; right now it's our biggest expense. If we do decide to make the move I am hoping to live in a neighborhood that is "walkable".

I am very aware of the culture shock that lies ahead. I expect to rack up a lot of frequent flyer miles on Southwest. I also have a very good friend that lives in Nashville. She grew up in Walnut Creek and went to SF State. She misses the Bay Area, but she would never be able to own a house in SF like the one she bought in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

23 posts, read 47,802 times
my husband and i are originally from mill valley. we moved here 7 months ago after a 9 year stint in manhattan. WE LOVE IT in W-S. try to live in one of the historic districts such as ardmore, west end or buena vista, as the houses are unique and the neighbors super friendly. we have made tons of friends, eat out at great restaurants all the time and love the lifestyle here. FYI: because of all the universities in the area the community is erudite, well-traveled and thriving with great events.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,092,407 times
Fret not lest ye be fretted. You're actually lucky. You are about to move into one of the better educated sections of the country. I lived in Greensboro for over 20 years, am now in the country. Between Wake Forest U. , Duke U., UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Greensboro, N.C.A&T State University, N.C. Central University, N.C. State University, all of these bastions of Higher Learning are within 60 miles of my front door, the list also should include Elon, and Guilford college and every county, I think, has a community college. For racing trivia, you need to go to Charlotte, the worlds biggest truckstop, or, Martinsville, Va - a town with no industry, just one short track, that has NASCAR racing twice a year. The area here does have good barbecue, lots of theatre, movies, street festivals several times a year and, with the exception of August, usually moderate weather. Even the smaller towns in this area are prone to have coffee shops.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,046 times
Thanks for all the encouragement. My husband has been in W-S for the past month. Everything is on hold now; FIL passed away yesterday.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM

10,411 posts, read 19,520,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthegood View Post
It is also only 2 hours from Ashville, which is called "The San Francisco of the South."
Chapel Hill is much more "the San Francisco of the South" than Asheville is.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,954,538 times
I know that you are moving from San Francisco for family reasons...but Im curious...even with the housing bust..I would think housing would be now more affordable in that area with all the foreclosures and what not....All I can say is get ready for culture shock....Had two friends move here from San Diego the other from Denver during NC "BOOM" years....Did not work out for them...Could not find high paying jobs..and it was not enough diversity for them.Needless to say they ended up moving back and found good jobs....Go figure and are much happier. As a native..who's trying to relocate out west.....NC is not all conservative, but mostly conservative..... very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...Good Luck to ya.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 38,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph Hilldweller View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement. My husband has been in W-S for the past month. Everything is on hold now; FIL passed away yesterday.
Sorry to read that. Went through the same thing in April.

If you do decide to move here you will find the pace to be much slower but that's not always a bad thing. Traffic is ridiculoulsy light most times so it is easy to get anywhere (I live in Clemmons) within about 15 minutes. Coming from Atlanta and Chicago that is huge for me!
Nothing can compare to the fabulousness of SF in my opinion but this is a nice little town. If you get involved in the arts and theater scene downtown, there are some good things going on. There is a small but dedicated group of people here who are really trying to make downtown WS into a livable, vibrant area. I've seen progress in the 3 years that I've lived here. Krankie's coffee shop and its outdoor Tuesday Farmers Market (all local, mostly organic vendors!) have just the right amount of funk for someone like me who lives in the burbs but craves the urban environment. There is a new independent movie theatre right downtown that is surrounded by several small art galleries.
Sometimes I miss the seemingly unlimited activities in a big city but there are some real opportunities to get involved here. Its not perfect but there are much worse places you could live. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM

157 posts, read 570,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Chapel Hill is much more "the San Francisco of the South" than Asheville is.
That is a ridiculous statement to make considering Asheville is a city with tons of great energy, great art/shops, food, great views, and great vibe. Chapel Hill is a college town with one street. Come on dude! Not even close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point