Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

Can a tried and true liberal like myself find happiness in Winston Salem? Are there any former Californians out there that can prepare me for the transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph Hilldweller View Post
Can a tried and true liberal like myself find happiness in Winston Salem? Are there any former Californians out there that can prepare me for the transition?
Go to your local bookstore and ask for "Moving to North Carolina for Dummies," it is packed with valuable info on how to fit in with us bible thumpin', liberal hatin', cross burnin', ignoramouses.
Don't get out much do you?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
If you want to get along on NC you better know who Jimmy Johnson is. Not the one with the slicked back gray hair. Also there are no Major League baseball teams in NC so forget about wearing your Barry Bonds T shirts.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you want to get along on NC you better know who Jimmy Johnson is. Not the one with the slicked back gray hair. Also there are no Major League baseball teams in NC so forget about wearing your Barry Bonds T shirts.
Guessing you don't get out much either.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
I am from CA. Stick to the city and not the suburbs. I am outside of city limits and regret it most days. I am on our 4th year here and still adjusting.....

Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Are you being transferred for a job, or are you one of trillions who are flocking to NC because of a few "best places to live" articles in magazines, who think you're going to snap up a job here the moment you arrive, because you're so much more "sophisticated" than all of us local hicks?

NC is not SFO--but where is? It's also not "Deliverance", despite Hollywood's insistence on portraying us as such. You should never move anywhere without coming to visit the place first, however. Then you'll get a better feel for it.

Don't forget, NC was a Blue state in 2008...in case you weren't aware.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 AM

231 posts, read 713,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I've lived in the Triad nearly my entire life, and I have no clue who Jimmy Johnson is. I've gotten along just fine.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Are you being transferred for a job, or are you one of trillions who are flocking to NC because of a few "best places to live" articles in magazines, who think you're going to snap up a job here the moment you arrive, because you're so much more "sophisticated" than all of us local hicks?

NC is not SFO--but where is? It's also not "Deliverance", despite Hollywood's insistence on portraying us as such. You should never move anywhere without coming to visit the place first, however. Then you'll get a better feel for it.

Don't forget, NC was a Blue state in 2008...in case you weren't aware.
And Democrats routinely occupy the gubner's office.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 AM

62 posts, read 187,983 times
As you can already see from some of the post....that open-mindedness is not necessarily a hallmark around here as SOME (noticed that I said SOME, not all) people are so quick to make assumptions about others just for the simple reason that they might be "different" in some way. Youll probably also see more of this from some of the responses that will come up just from my reply alone.

Having said all that, my wife and I moved to the Winston-Salem area about 1 1/2 years ago from Sacramento and we are VERY happy here. We moved here for a job that I accepted with the VA. It's pretty much what is important to you and what are you looking for. We generally have found that people here (not to stereotype or overly generalize) are kind, considerate and very polite. The pace of life is slower, but we find that to be a good thing for us.

We sometimes miss going to Lake Tahoe, Napa and other places in Northern CA, BUT we have made it a point to explore the area and have found wonderful places (Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain, Boone, Asheville, and yes various wineries.etc....) here as well. There is something to be said about WHERE one lives, but one should not ignore that it is also WHAT you make it out to be.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 PM

525 posts, read 2,123,397 times
I was born in Lexington (Barbecue Capital!) and I've lived here my entire life and I have one question- Who's Jimmy Johnson?

Move to Greensboro instead. Lots of folks from all over the country here, and plenty of liberals. As was said, NC is not the place it is portrayed to be by the media and/or Hollywood. Plus, you're 1.5 hours to Charlotte or Raleigh, 2 hours to the mountains, 3 hours to the beach. It's lovely here, and real estate is dirt cheap compared to CA. I've moved a few folks from your state to ours and they're doing just fine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point