U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times

Advertisements

Opening night tonight after a long and very messy effort to build the new ballpark. I must say the park looks impressive, but I'm still not sold on the concept. For one, I really enjoyed going to Ernie Shore Field. You were very close to the action, and ticket prices were dirt cheap. It rarely sold out, so I never understood the need for a new facility.

Secondly, I didn't like the way the city was basically railroaded into putting up lots more money to finish the stadium. The city certainly shares the blame for not structuring the deal in a more advantageous manner, but after all that's happened I don't feel much affinity for the ownership of this team. I feel sorry for the players and coaches, as they did nothing to bring all this on, and they deserve our support. But it's going to take a while for me to warm up to this.

Third...ticket prices! The best and most expensive seats at Ernie Shore were around $7, and bleacher seats were $5, making for a really inexpensive evening out for a family. The least expensive Dash tickets (lawn seats, and no lawn chairs allowed) are $7, and tickets for an actual seat are $13, plus Ticketmaster's fee of $2.85. So a family of four will pay over $60 for tickets alone. Add $5 to park (you could easily park for free at Ernie Shore), and it's a rather expensive night out. I'm sure a lot of Warthog regulars will be priced out of this deal.

Sigh...I suppose this is progress, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Interesting. Guess they didn't take very many cues from Greensboro. We had $7 seats behind homeplate opening night, even though it rained bucket fulls in the 4th inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point