U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

Obviously many people have differing opinions however I just moved here from the Northeast with my family and we LOVE Greensboro. Coming to Clemmons comment about the schools is not exactly accurate. There are some fantastic Northwest GSO schools in the area and we are very happy with the options. You just have to look at it..Jefferson Elementary..while it doesn't get stellar ratings has been a FABULOUS school for our youngest and he will be moving on to Kernodle Middle which gets a rating of 10. We were able to move out of corporate housing and into a neighborhood so he can attend Kernodle and didn't spend a ton of money either. You obviously are going to get what you pay for in most cases and in ours we wanted the best schools. We have found Greensboro to be a wonderful place for our family full of all that we wanted ..culture, options, great schools and a wonderful mix of city and suburbs. I am very happy that we moved here. You just have to do some research, homework and get out there and see it for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

627 posts, read 1,863,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingtoClemmons View Post

We toured Grimsley (another "good" school) and were surprised at how "inner city" it was It did not seem safe. The middle schools that fed into it were not even an option for our children. They (Kiser Middle/ Aycock Middle) were VERY ghetto. Kids walking around like wanna -be gangsters It was sad.
(
I don't know what you mean by "inner city". Grimsley is in one of the best areas of Greensboro. Next to beautiful Lake Daniel park and the surrounding neighborhood is middle and upper class. Kiser is right next door.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
secret problem with greensboro?

it is boring. at least, i thought it was when i lived there. that's the "big secret", i reckon.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Oh my. You have no idea what color I am You can't play the Race Card with me, Sir

Here is a little secret for you: Even black people don't like their children to be exposed to certain things like ebonics, low riding pants (even with SMOD) and that attitude of "it's cool to be gangsta". This behavior was exuded by blacks and Eminem-type whites in many of the schools we visited. The teachers found this to be acceptable.

My children will be attending a school where there are black and white students We found a great one with more rural values and teachers that seem to be in control

how is that inner city? that is common in rural North Carolina.

in my experience, "Inner city" is a euphemism that yankees use when they talk about black people, because there are so few rural blacks outside of the south.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Oh my. You have no idea what color I am You can't play the Race Card with me, Sir

Here is a little secret for you: Even black people don't like their children to be exposed to certain things like ebonics, low riding pants (even with SMOD) and that attitude of "it's cool to be gangsta". This behavior was exuded by blacks and Eminem-type whites in many of the schools we visited. The teachers found this to be acceptable.

My children will be attending a school where there are black and white students We found a great one with more rural values and teachers that seem to be in control
Teachers have no jurisdiction over dress code, it is set by the school. There are some schools in the area that have a strict dress code.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM

10,515 posts, read 8,762,464 times
I just opened a reality page and searched. I didn't pay attention. Most of the homes were small (1500 ft^2) and newer (last 0-5 years) and on tiny lots. I have also lived in many cities - many in the US, a few in Europe and the middle east. I am now back in Copenhagen, Denmark, on the edge of retirement and thinking about going back to the US to be closer to my American-born children.

I was just struck by the prices compared to other cities in the region. I just put in a low search price.

Thanks for all your replies.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM

10,515 posts, read 8,762,464 times
I row; I sail; I am a hi-fi addict. I travel a lot. I am looking for a place where I won't freeze my ass off from November - March. I will spend the summers in my summer house in Denmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point