U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,926 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a 23 year old guy moving to Greensboro in a couple of weeks and I've been down to the area a bit checking out places. I've looked at a few private residences from craigslist, the typical complexes from apartmentfinder and apartmentratings, and a few extra places.

So far, The Lofts at Greensborough Court are the ones that appeal to me most. I've been talking to a lot of coworkers down here, and most say to avoid this area, but don't give any solid reasons. From what I can tell, there's very much to do around there. Is there some deep, dark, hidden reason why I shouldn't live there?

Also, unrelated, but does Time Warner Cable still have bandwidth caps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
I love these threads; people ask for comparisons/opinions about places they are moving to and don't bother to tell where they are moving from.
I'll play the vague game with you: Your co-workers comments may be just from ignorance.
Bandwith caps are common practice.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,926 times
heh. Yeah facepalm, etc.

I'm moving from outside of Philadelphia. Great area for nightlife/culture/live music. Looking for something similar in the Triad, I'll be working just south of the airport and don't want a commute longer than 30mins.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM

12 posts, read 26,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I love these threads; people ask for comparisons/opinions about places they are moving to and don't bother to tell where they are moving from.
I don't think where he is moving from is relevant. He was not asking for for comparisons.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingtoClemmons View Post
I don't think where he is moving from is relevant. He was not asking for for comparisons.
It was a general statement as I have read many threads where people were asking for comparisons/opinions on cost of living, etc without disclosing their current location.
Since the OP stated he couldn't get an explanation from his co-workers I felt his current location was relevent so as to try to determine whether they were using experience, hearsay, data, or some other info to come to their conclusions. The longer you hang out here you will start to notice the patterns.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpi_08 View Post
heh. Yeah facepalm, etc.

I'm moving from outside of Philadelphia. Great area for nightlife/culture/live music. Looking for something similar in the Triad, I'll be working just south of the airport and don't want a commute longer than 30mins.
I can't compare downtown Philly to Greensboro as I haven't been to Philly. However The Lofts will put you in the heart of the action. Downtown G'boro, albeit small, is a mixed bag of life. During the weekday it's all business with those who work there dining at the restuarants and so on. In the evening after the stores close its quiet with people mostly dining out. The weekend is when the nightlife kicks in as there are several bars as well as some nightclubs all within a few blocks of each other. The weekend days are calm and more relaxed, that's when us non-clubbers come out. On occasions downtown will host festivals or block parties.
Oh, there's a minor league baseball stadium also.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM

61 posts, read 149,451 times
How much were you looking to spend?

I've never heard anything but good things about Greensborough Court. It's in the middle of everything downtown, plus I think it offers resident parking in the rear (plus!). If your friends were telling you to avoid this area because of crime, I'd say don't listen to them. Downtown is probably one of the most patrolled areas. Plus the lofts are less than three blocks away from police headquarters and sheriff headquarters.

Commute shouldn't be a problem from downtown. It's a straight shot to the airport, either down Bryan Blvd or Hwy 29 to I-40, depending on what part of the airport you're working near.

Have you tried searching the classifieds?

I'd also recommend contacting Synerg. It's an organization dedicated solely to helping young professionals network and connect with each other and the city. I'm sure they could offer some tips. Plus it would be a great outlet to meet some new people here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point