Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM

16 posts, read 29,184 times

Advertisements

Well I have accepted the new job, company near the airport, I will be living in corporate apartments for the first few months. I am a Los Angeles transplant.

After that time I will be looking for a place to buy or rent but not sure if I want to buy a home, condo, townhouse, or just rent until I get a good feel and understanding of the area.

I like the idea of a buying a home but have grown tired of cutting grass and yard work so was thinking the townhouse would be a good option but would like to be in a walkable neighborhood, hopefully nears stores, and some other activities, city life.

If I went with a condo I would want a place where it was walkable meaning I could walk to restaurant's, stores, Starbucks, you know in the center of it all.

By the way, I am 50 years old, single, alive and moving to a city where I do not know anyone. Where are places to meet people, make friends, start living!

Suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 AM

61 posts, read 165,530 times
It seems like all the recent relocators are coming for jobs near the airport.

Can you provide more specifics (housing budget, etc.) What hobbies do you have? What kind of community involvement do you like, if any? Artsy or not? There are lots of ways to get involved and make friends, we just need a little more info to go on.

Welcome, btw.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 29,184 times
I have spent a fair amount of time looking at homes on line and it seems I would be happy in the $170,000 to $225000 range but if I spend less even better.

I have spent the last eight years traveling for work, mostly out of the U.S so I have had little time for hobbies but lover the outdoors. I really wish I could say I have hobbies but just have not had time for them but hope to find interest in something soon. I like water actives, fishing, Kayaking, hunting/target shooting hiking, I am open to just about anything I just need to try it!

Community involvement, I care about what is going on but I am not going to run for office.

Artsy, I am interested in silver smithing but have not trued it. I am good with my hands and would like to find a hobby where I could maybe sell what I make.

Don

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 AM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
I say go for the apts the company is providing and drive around the area and see what you like. You can't choose a home over the internet. W/S has some condo's near downtown that are within walking distance of restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops, etc... I am not that familiar with G'Boro and what they have to offer that is similar. I know the airport area itself is more rural.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway1 View Post
I have spent a fair amount of time looking at homes on line and it seems I would be happy in the $170,000 to $225000 range but if I spend less even better.

I have spent the last eight years traveling for work, mostly out of the U.S so I have had little time for hobbies but lover the outdoors. I really wish I could say I have hobbies but just have not had time for them but hope to find interest in something soon. I like water actives, fishing, Kayaking, hunting/target shooting hiking, I am open to just about anything I just need to try it!

Community involvement, I care about what is going on but I am not going to run for office.

Artsy, I am interested in silver smithing but have not trued it. I am good with my hands and would like to find a hobby where I could maybe sell what I make.

Don
Let me know if you need a recommendation for a great realtor! The guy who helped us buy our home is fabulous, some super awesome people, he and his wife.

I am looking into Kayaking again. Been on a 20 year hiatus! I found that the Great Outdoor Provision Company is a wonderful store located in the Friendly center. Their website also has links for kayaking enthusiasts, and several of the employees are active in outings. For your hunting supplies there's a Gander Mountain store at the Four Seasons Mall. I don't hunt, so I haven't been there.
Congratulations on your coming to Greensboro! It's quite a change from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point