U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 27,714 times

Advertisements

hey there
I moved from Greensboro about 18 mos ago and am heading back for a job in Lexington, NC. don't know anything about the lexington area....any thoughts? I have 2 children in elementary school - I read the NC report card and looked good for Lexington. I'd be willing to live in either Winston-Salem or Salisbury too. Went to Salisbury last weekend looking at places and it's a really pretty place.

I am looking at a place in Lexington this weekend. Want to know more about the town. I don't want to live too much out in the country and from what I've seen, Lexington seems that way but I didn't get to check it out too much.

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Are you going to rent or purchase a home?
Elementary school you will be ok but plan to move in the county preferably the northern end
by the time your kids reach high school for now you will be alright but who knows the high school
may turn around by the time your kids reach that age.
In downtown look between 2nd Avenue & 5th Avenue
Arbor Acres
Twin Acres
between I85 and highway 47
Greensboro Road St. Ext.
West Center Street Extension
all the best
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM

254 posts, read 825,335 times
Do not even consider Lexington public schools. Less-skilled students rarely have the opportunity to improve and there are not sufficient resources available for more gifted students to reach their full potential. But my views are based solely on statistics and the opinions of parents in Davidson County. I do not personally have kids in school there.
The city itself is very much still suffering under good ol' boy politics, as is the county to some extent. But the county is working more diligently than most similarly sized NC counties on the economic development front, and is having moderate success, despite substantial job loss in traditional sectors.
Living in Lexington isn't necessarily bad, unless you're more accustomed to an urban or suburban setting, or if you don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to reach civilization (or you don't mind eating BBQ every day and shopping only at Walmart and Food Lion). New businesses struggle to survive in Lexington, even more so than most areas. Very few shops and restaurants that have opened there over the past 5 years remain. The unemployment rate is appalling, as is the graduation rate from Lexington High.
Within the city, there are a couple of small clusters of quality, relatively inexpensive homes, and in the outer parts of the town are some cheaply constructed new developments, but most neighborhoods in the city are in decline.
Neighborhoods on the outskirts of Lexington typically further remove you from services/entertainment/shopping/food, with a couple of exceptions.
Salisbury has more choices from those categories, but is otherwise not much better or worse than Lexington.
If your desire is accessability to decent schools, reasonable taxes and closeness to your job in Lexington without being too far removed from amenities, then you may want to consider the Arcadia area in north Davidson County, near Midway and Welcome.

Last edited by cohaagen; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 PM

53 posts, read 250,265 times
We love Lexington, but we live near High Rock Lake, and our children attend Davidson County Schools. We are about 4 miles from any "civilization"; however, I find that quite nice. There have been no crimes n the 3 years I've been here in my area, my kids like the schools and are excelling (elementary & middle school). From what I know, Central Davidson High is not bad, so I'm not worried about their educational future. My oldest is in the Duke TIPS program and attending summer studies at a university, even though she's in middle school. We would never had known about it or pushed her in that direction without the school making it known to us.
No there aren't a lot of chain places, but there is plenty. We have grocery stores, a library, Belk, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, 2 Japanese places, lots of fast food, as well as plenty of other stores. Downtown is quite charming. Best of all, there is very little traffic. It is unusual to ever wait through more than one light cycle. Finch Park is great. Lots of other playgrounds too, but Finch Park is my favorite & there are trails where you can go to see a little waterfall & river. It has a lake too. The multi-cultural festival is this Sat. & is lots of fun.
It is much easier living here. Maybe there is no Toys-r-us or mall, but it's not like you need to go there a lot anyway. We have the movies, roller skating, and bowling at the Y. My kids have liked it here. It is not a hard drive to other places like the zoo & museums in Greensboro. I'd rather drive 35 minutes every once in awhile, instead of being stuck in traffic everyday just going on errands or back and forth from work. It is much better from when I've lived in cities.
I'd stay out of Salisbury if schools are a concern. Salisbury schools are not any better than Lexington City ones. Lots of gang problems are in Salisbury also, esp. around Long St. & the East Spencer area. I haven't seen many problems with gangs in Lexington. Although it is increasing and you'll see the graffiti at some places downtown.

Best of luck with the move. I hope you check out Davidson County/Lexington. It may be a bit rurl, but certainly not in the Boonies.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 AM

201 posts, read 519,191 times
I agree with Jason--if you want a more rural, family safe area, Davidson Co. is better than Salisbury. Salisbury is very small as a city and I haven't heard much about the schools. We live near Welcome/Arcadia area and I like it. It has grown tremendously in the last 7-8 years. Feels like country but very close to everything you need. Lexington city schools rough around the edges, Davidson Co schools better, especially northern and western areas. If you want nightlife, this isn't the area, but if your focus is safe family atmosphere, this is good choice.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
I also recommend the Arcadia area in N. Davidson County. Safe, good schools, low taxes, easy drive to W-S and Lexington.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,067 times
We moved to Winston-Salem two years ago and have really enjoyed it. We live on the Davidson County line near Arcadia and Welcome. My son attends North Davidson High School in Lexington. He has excelled in their accelerated program and will be attending NC State in the fall. We live on Friedberg Church Road and there is an elementary school right across the street. The Middle school is located behind the High School that my son attends. The only problem I have had is finding a job. My husband is military and drives to Greensboro every day. The employment opportunities are better in Greensboro if you wanted to make the drive every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point