U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,727 times

Advertisements

i have been reading post for days now and i get mixed feelings. my first concerns are crime and schools. i live in cleveland oh one of the highest crime cities in the u.s and schools are bad. i have a 2 and 4 yr old and dont want them to grow up here. i have heard the schools in greensboro have low test scores is this true? and crime is it high? my huband and i are looking to rent a 3bdr home until we get setteled and start looking to buy a home. any suggestion would help alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Greensboro has good and bad areas just like any other city, it all depends which part you plan to move to. As far as the schools go, I don't have kids.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM

69 posts, read 144,747 times
Guilford County has its ups & downs like anywhere, but I don't ever intend to move too far away. It's a great place to live. You can get an idea of schools & crime from the web, but I'm sure it's probably not as bad as it may seem on paper.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM

thanks i have looked at the school on the web and the crime but it doesnt really help me when i dont know what areas of town are nice to raise a family in. im looking at scores but have no idea where these schools are at in greensboro. they give me an address but thats not helping because i dont live there yet. so some suggestion of schools would be great! and then i can look at that particular schools score and reviews.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

779 posts, read 2,932,311 times
As far as education goes, unless you live in a Cambridge suburb in Massachusetts, I'm going to just go ahead and say youre child is going to need additional educational assistance in this country. Now have said that, there are better schools and worse schools.

I live in the NW section of Greensboro, which is considered probably the best quadrant of the town. Even in here, you are going to have good and bad neighbors, etc.

Some schools to look into that are public: Claxton Elementary, Jefferson Elementary, Jesse Wharton, General Greene, Adams Farm (SW). I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. I strongly recommend renting for 6 months and viewing neighborhoods in your spare time as much as possible. Ask people questions, take a tour of the elementary schools. Definitely! I personally would have chosen Claxton elementary school as our first choice, but we did find a nice home off Lawndale Ave and our daughter will be going to JW this Fall.

There are also some excellent charter schools to consider: Morehead elementary emphasizes skilled arts, such as violin, and they are public. There is a charter-public Montesorri as well, called Erwin.
If you want private: Canterbury, Caldwell and Greensboro Day School are all good choices.

Within our without these recommendations, you still need to visit and ask the questions that are important to you, such as test scores, PE, food and diet, teacher: student ratio, english and math/science competencies, safety of the campus. Title 1 schools sadly do not have nearly as many field trips or extra curricular activities, and I would avoid them if at all possible. Better to have a junkier house and a good/great school than the other way around!!!!! And even after that, expect to be involved in your child's education after school hours. Our daughter always does best in the things we've helped her with at home.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Shoot, gotta run for now, but check it out...I hope I can post more later!

Last edited by ibeg4sushi; 05-03-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 10,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
As far as education goes, unless you live in a Cambridge suburb in Massachusetts, I'm going to just go ahead and say youre child is going to need additional edcuational assistance in this country. Now have said that, there are better schools and worse schools.

I live in the NW section of Greensboro, which is considered probably the best quadrant of the town. Even in here, you are going to have good and bad neighbors, etc.

Some schools to look into that are public: Claxton Elementary, Jefferson Elementary, Jesse Wharton, General Greene, Adams Farm (SW). I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. I strongly recommend renting for 6 months and viewing neighborhoods in your spare time as much as possible. Ask people questions, take a tour of the elementary schools. Definitely! I personally would have chosen Claxton elementary school as our first choice, but we did find a nice home off Lawndale Ave and our daughter will be going to JW this Fall.

There are also some excellent charter schools to consider: Morehead elementary emphasizes skilled arts, such as violin, and they are public. There is a charter-public Montesorri as well, called Erwin.
If you want private: Canterbury, Caldwell and Greensboro Day School are all good choices.

Within our without these recommendations, you still need to visit and ask the questions that are important to you, such as test scores, PE, food and diet, teacher; student ratio, english and math/science competencies, safety of the campus. Title 1 schools sadly do not have nearly as many field trips or extra curricular activities, and I would avoid them if at all possible. Better to have a junkier house and a good/great school than the other way around!!!!! And even after that, expect to be involved in your child's education after school hours. Our daughter always does best in the things we've helped her with at home.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Shoot, gotta run for now, but check it out...I hope I can post more later!

Excellent post. JW? Which school is that?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM

779 posts, read 2,932,311 times
JW = Jesse Wharton (mentioned above). Sorry!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM

thank you so much this was a huge help since im unable to visit until the beginning of august i kind of wanted to have an idea of where to go!!!!!!!!!! thanks again such a huge help!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,465 times
Chonsey - I'm also thinking of moving to Greensboro from Cleveland...Feel free to send me a message and we can compare notes on Cleveland vs Greensboro.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,940 times
Sternberger Elementary received a 9 out of 10 on GreatSchools and Pearce Elementary received a 10 out of 10 on GreatSchools (the only elementary school in the city with a 10). Both are on the northwest side of town. Sternberger is in the Starmount Forest/Hamilton Forest area, and Pearce is further out in the area just north of Piedmont Triad Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point