Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM

137 posts, read 327,734 times

Advertisements

We live in California. My son is planning to apply to Univ. North Carolina School of Arts (Winston-Salem). Anyone have any comments on the school (he is interested in filmmaking)? How about the Winston-Salem area as far as being a good place for a college freshman to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Wow, I'm impressed that someone from California is considering traveling all the way here for film-making school. I suppose that says something about the school's reputation. Just curious, how did your son find out about our School of the Arts?

To address your questions, the school does have a great reputation, and it's a great resource for the area to enjoy the many (and often free) concerts, plays, art exhibits, and the guests artists and performers who are drawn there. Sorry I can't give you much info on student life, but I can tell you there's some amazing talent there.

Regarding Winston-Salem, I'd say it's definitely a good place for college students. There are plenty of things to do, but not too much, so perhaps they'll spend a little more time studying.
There are already lots of college students here at Wake Forest, Winston-Salem State, Salem College, etc., so I think you'll find W-S to be very accommodating toward students.

Good luck to your son!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks so much for the info - sounds encouraging! If my son wanted to experience some larger city life - say, on a weekend - would Charlotte be the place for him to go?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Yes, Charlotte is the closest "large" city. Winston-Salem is conveniently located for many things. You can be in the NC mountains in less than an hour, where you'll find lots of fun things to do like skiing, hiking, rafting, etc. The beach (and Wilmington's film studios) is about 3 hours away. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is about 1 1/2 hours, and Greensboro is only 20 minutes away. So there are lots of good road trip opportunities.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM

I forgot to answer your question: " Just curious, how did your son find out about our School of the Arts?" My son has done a lot of research and the school was recommended to him by several people. He has been interested in film for a long time and connects with others involved in filmmaking. NCUSA is at the top of the list for film schools for those "in the know." :>)

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

^ That's awesome. I know they're doing some great things at the film school, but I didn't realize it has such a good national rep.

Let us know if you have any more questions about the area!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
My daughter is a freshman, I mean, 1st years student, in the film school now.

The good news is that your son will have no problems dealing with larger cities on the weekend. The bad news is that they work pretty much every weekend so he won't be going very far or for very long, in fact they work pretty much all the time. This is not the 8 to 5 grind.

After dinner most nights they work on 3d and 4th year (they don't call them jrs and srs for some reason) students films, as well has have screenings several nights a week. Many weekends find they working on films "on location." My daughter is the production manager on a set this week. She is responsible for the whole thing, getting it right, and meeting her budget. They don't teach you that at a lot of great colleges, either.

The NCSA is extraordinarily highly regarded. The tentacles of the alumni network permeate the industry and many, many alumni are extremely loyal. I have asked on a number of occasions about jobs, and the lowest rate I ever heard was 85% have film jobs. When she was interested in Design and Production (tech theater) I was told consistently that all those graduating have jobs by Christmas.

Both the facilities and the profs appear to be first rate. They take academic courses in the morning, and film courses most of the afternoon. While my daughter has made A's, she has struggled, with Art History. She took a bunch of AP courses so she has credit for most of the academic requirements.

This school is not like a "regular" college. There will be a tremendous return on the investment in time and energy they put in, but it is not for the faint hearted or those only "kinda committed."

All 1st year students live on campus in dorms. And I think, but am not sure, that 2nd year live on campus, but some are in suites, not dorm rooms. The dorm rooms are ok, the floors, I think are coed, but there may be one girls only either dorm or floor, their are guys across the hall from my daughter. No worry about those two, however!

Just so you know, me daughter went to a summer session in high school. When we took her over, the parking lot was filled with cars from all over the US. I really saw more non-NC license plates than I did NC plates.

I hope you realize this, but I will offer nevertheless. The world of film and theater are different from the worlds of many of us. My training has been physics, then MBA, and the MEd. I have a military background. These people are different, not better or worse, but different. I understand that, and it is no issue for me. Not so sure about my wife but she is getting used to it. I have been on several orientation tours and have seen parents practically melt down. It is a different paradigm, but your son or daughter, if committed will find it right for them. I am not saying they are all wierdos (but of course there are some) but if you are from the formality of the business world, it will be different. Much different.

As my mother in law said, after watching my daughter's 10 minute film made during the high school summer session several years ago...."Well, at least she kept her clothes on." That pretty much sums it up.

Good luck to your son.

lln

Last edited by LLN; 05-06-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 AM

LLN: Thank you so very much for all of the valuable info about UNCSA! You really gave us a feel for what it might be like and we are so appreciative. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM

177 posts, read 432,067 times
WInston Salem is a beautiful City. It is fesrive and vibrant. Good restaurants and is very friendly. It has a small town feel but is indeed a large city.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM

236 posts, read 552,492 times
Winston-Salem is a good city for college students. There are many activities available, the traffic slows down to a crawl at about 6:00pm. Charlotte is one hour by train and about the same distant for Raleigh. Beaches are 3 to 4 hours away depending on how fast you drive. The transportation center is 100 W. 5th Street. I-40 is one of the easiest ways to get from west to east or east to north. If no activities are planned in Winston-Salem there is VA, South Carolina, New York, Philadephia, etc... I went back to California to visit my children and on business. It has not changed only has gotten worse (economy). I am glad I made the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point