U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 39,464 times

Advertisements

We are moving to W-S from the Chicago area this summer. After house hunting last weekend we have narrowed our search down to two houses that are the same price. One is in Greenbrier Farm and one is in Waterford (new Waterford.) I'd love some feedback on these two neighborhoods.
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 104,379 times
Default I'd pick Waterford..

We live about 1/2 mile as the crow flies north of Waterford.. you would be
inside the city limits of the Town of Clemmons,,, we are in unincorporated
Forsyth County.

Waterford is very close to I-40 which wlll be your major transportation vein going anywhere East, West. or SW toward Charlotte..

I need monthly treatment at BAptist Hosp and I am about 10 minutes away
which is fabulous.

Clemmons is also a great little town though the layout with one major road
heading to Lewisville is awfully crowded and unruly at times... but nothing
like Chicago or Milwaukee where I grew up in the '50s..

I think your properties would be very comparable in both subdivisions --- both have quite good public schools nearby.

We lived in Winston Salem for 15 years prior to moving to Clemmons and while i was hesitant, we now love it out here---and we're still very close to just about everything we were before... as I said, access to I-40 is my key here,
but it might not be yours! Good Luck!

Last edited by badgertim; 06-13-2007 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 28,004 times
Greenbrier Farm and Waterford are both great neighborhoods. Great schools for both. It can be a little tougher to get from point A to point B from Greenbrier Farm, but to most residents, it's worth it! But if you'll be working more on the north side of town, it's a fantastic location. I'd also venture to say that if you think you might possibly relocate again in the short term, I'd lean towards Greenbrier Farm as I think the values there will appreciate at a more rapid rate than Waterford. Buyers, particularly those relocating from other parts of the country, love the feel of Greenbrier and the open space, walking trails, etc.

You'll probably get more square footage for the money in Waterford, if that's an important consideration. I live in Clemmons myself and it's great for my needs - I agree with badgertim that if you think you'll spend time on the road, you can't beat the location.

We're always happy to have new neighbors, and I hope you're ready to slow the hectic pace!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 AM

Thanks to both of you for the information. We feel like we can't go wrong with either neighborhood. My husband will be working off of University Parkway; I think we'll go for the 4 mile commute from Greenbrier rather than the 22 miles from Clemmons.
Its nice to have a choice! We're looking forward to the slower pace too.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM

18 posts, read 104,379 times
Default Good choice...

Though I am partial to SW Forsyth County... you made the right
choice with your commute in mind..

When we moved to north of Waterford I worked near the Triad airport and
still made it there in 40 minutes... it all depends where you have to "get to" ...

Hope you enjoy W-S !!!!

tim

Old 06-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Hi Badgertim,
We actually re-mapped the route to my husband's office and it is only 13 miles from Waterford. Turns out the seller in Greenbrier was not as "motivated" as their ad said since they would barely budge on the price. We ended up with the house in Waterford- a little farther away but a fantastic house tht we'll be happy in for many years.
Thanks for the input. We are looking forward to the move in 3 weeks!
Any thoughts on St. Leo's versus Southwest Elementary for our first grader?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:24 AM

72 posts, read 291,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boso614 View Post
Hi Badgertim,
We actually re-mapped the route to my husband's office and it is only 13 miles from Waterford. Turns out the seller in Greenbrier was not as "motivated" as their ad said since they would barely budge on the price. We ended up with the house in Waterford- a little farther away but a fantastic house tht we'll be happy in for many years.
Thanks for the input. We are looking forward to the move in 3 weeks!
Any thoughts on St. Leo's versus Southwest Elementary for our first grader?
Why Southwest? Is Clemmons elementary not in your zone?

I live in Clemmons for 2 years now but my daughter still goes to Sherwood Forest as we moved from there and did not want to change her school up on her as she loves it there. If I had to choose a different school it would be Clemmons elementary . Sherwood forest ranks tops in elementary in a newest report I saw, Clemmons and Southwest both got an overall 8 ranking but Clemmons inched out Southwest due to the smaller class sizes.

I'm Catholic but let's just say I would not put my children in St Leo's, not due to rating or nothing but in a relocating situation it would be a more beneficial situation for the children and for them to grow up in the schools with their neighborhood new friends to make the transition easier on them.

The public schools in this area are pretty good.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 AM

I heard great things about Sherwood Forest school but we could not find a home that suited us in that area. The woman who owns the home we are buying told me the Waterford kids go to Southwest. Her children go to St. Leo's and she spoke very highly of the school. Our son is an only child and has missed out on having neighborhood friends here in Chicago. Unfortunately we did not know the area well and found that most families around us have older kids. We have been very happy with the Catholic school he went to the past 2 years. The smaller class sizes and loving discipline are good for him. We will miss that but I think that getting him socialized in our new home is more important at this point.
We're leaving an area with some of the best public schools in the country so I guess we are worried about the public school education he may get in Clemmons. We'll probably give it a try though; we can always make a change later if we feel he is not getting what he needs.
Thanks for the good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point