U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2006, 12:49 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times

Advertisements

Interesting. From the W-S (Wipe) Journal http://www.journalnow.com August 4

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,107 times
I just moved here from SoCal and I was shocked at how many Mexican specialty products are in the local grocery stores! They even have the different Mexican candy and nuts that you don't always see in CA stores.

Now here is a story - I was driving on a country highway near Winston-Salem yesterday and this truck was tailgating me really close. It was scaring me it was so close and I looked in my mirror and saw it was a Tijuana looking truck full of these Mexican guys. I thought it was weird they were on my bumper when everyone else has been so easygoing with their driving and I was even going 5 miles over the speed limit! I kind of tapped on my brakes and waved my hand to indicate to back off. They continued riding me and when I went to turn left onto my street they yelled, "This isn't California" with a thick Spanish accent. I promptly went to get my license plates changed today. We have been here a few weeks and have had not one problem with anyone with our CA plates. We have actually been enjoying the slower pace. What the heck??? I wanted to yell so badly, "this isn't Mexico!" I refrained, but I couldn't help but laugh. What freaking hypocrites. It annoyed me pretty bad especially since my baby was in the car and the HWY has tons of places where people turns off it and you have to brake at moment's notice. Of course, this isn't a true indicator of how every Hispanic person drives or treats people, but I just found it to be surprising since I have never encountered such behavior growing up my whole life in CA. I just shook my head and told my husband the story kind of cracking up because they said CA with such a strong Spanish accent it didn't even sound right.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:04 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I just moved here from SoCal and I was shocked at how many Mexican specialty products are in the local grocery stores! They even have the different Mexican candy and nuts that you don't always see in CA stores.

Now here is a story - I was driving on a country highway near Winston-Salem yesterday and this truck was tailgating me really close. It was scaring me it was so close and I looked in my mirror and saw it was a Tijuana looking truck full of these Mexican guys. I thought it was weird they were on my bumper when everyone else has been so easygoing with their driving and I was even going 5 miles over the speed limit! I kind of tapped on my brakes and waved my hand to indicate to back off. They continued riding me and when I went to turn left onto my street they yelled, "This isn't California" with a thick Spanish accent. I promptly went to get my license plates changed today. We have been here a few weeks and have had not one problem with anyone with our CA plates. We have actually been enjoying the slower pace. What the heck??? I wanted to yell so badly, "this isn't Mexico!" I refrained, but I couldn't help but laugh. What freaking hypocrites. It annoyed me pretty bad especially since my baby was in the car and the HWY has tons of places where people turns off it and you have to brake at moment's notice. Of course, this isn't a true indicator of how every Hispanic person drives or treats people, but I just found it to be surprising since I have never encountered such behavior growing up my whole life in CA. I just shook my head and told my husband the story kind of cracking up because they said CA with such a strong Spanish accent it didn't even sound right.
Next time report it to the cops.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 PM

20 posts, read 59,853 times
Oh wow Marygirl, such strong feelings. I've yet to see a Mexican child act out in a store...Like most people I believe in the freedom of speech, but at least be respectful with what you say. I've seen people in different religious sects "reproduce like rabbits" and they aren't of Mexican descent. Ir just sounds as if you've had one too many bad experiences with Mexicans, or perhaps you were having a bad day and needed to vent...just when I thought I saw the silver lining! Oh well, you can't win them all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point