Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times

Advertisements

I took a trip through Greensboro, passing through briefly last year, and commenting how beautiful it was. I am taking a trip June 15th and 16th to be in Greensboro and check out areas. How commutable is Winston-Salem, High point and Greensboro to eachother? I obviously dont know much about this area.
1)We are looking for something in a more rural area within commutable distance into the city.
2) We will need a realtor who does rentals: Prefer realtor with kids in school
3 bed/ 2 bth
Fenced Yard
2 car garage
good schools
up to $1300/mo
3) What are the universities in the area? I can do community college for the last half of my AA credits, but will then need to transfer to a University for my BA
4)Can anyone recommend an area that fits what we need?
- Fiance is a Master collison Technician
- I am a legal Secretary

We have a 4 year old so schools are important, but most of all, we want to be a little bit in the "country". Any help is greatly appreciated to narrow down where we look. DM's requested for referral as to a rental realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM

273 posts, read 950,139 times
If being central to all those areas is important, than I would say look at Kernersville. K-ville is in the middle of W-S/GSO/HP. You can get rural, but still be convenient to all the shopping you'll probably need. As far as school goes, you have Forsyth Tech, and Guilford Tech respectively and for 4yr schools, there's WFU, WSSU in Winston; UNCG, NCA&T, Guilford College in Greensboro; HPU in High Point. I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but those are the larger schools.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM

And as far as elementary-high school, what is that school district like in Kernsville??

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

We dont necessarily need to be in between the three areas, I just didnt know how commutable they were to eachother? I need to find a good rental realtor in the area and rather go by word of mouth than google...

Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM

47 views and one response? Can anyone reccomend me to a realtor at least??? ahh, this is stressful enough as it is. I feel like everyone is thinking "if we just ignore her, she'll forget we're here, and wont move here." LOL.. dumb yes but I still would like to see some rentals while in town next month.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,917 times
[quote=LiLShorty4lyfe;14112261]I took a trip through Greensboro, passing through briefly last year, and commenting how beautiful it was. I am taking a trip June 15th and 16th to be in Greensboro and check out areas. How commutable is Winston-Salem, High point and Greensboro to eachother? I obviously dont know much about this area.

1)We are looking for something in a more rural area within commutable distance into the city.
Greensboro to Winston Salem is 30 miles. High Point to Greensboro is 10 miles, and High Point to Winston Salem is 16 miles.

If you're working in Greensboro, you might consider Siler City which is a 30 minute commute from the the southeast on 421. If you're working in High Point, check out Asheboro which is about 20 minutes southeast via 220 and 311. If working in Winston Salem, look at the areas to the north such as Pilot Mountain which is 25 miles north on US 52. If these distances are too far for you, bear in mind areas just outside the city limits here can often have a rural feel also.

2) We will need a realtor who does rentals: Prefer realtor with kids in school
3 bed/ 2 bth, Fenced Yard, 2 car garage, good schools, up to $1300/mo

You can probably bypass a realtor and look at Craigslist. A quick look in your price point and with your criteria pulled up a dozen listings in the area. The realtors who handle rentals tend to have listings in town and not so much rural.

3) What are the universities in the area? I can do community college for the last half of my AA credits, but will then need to transfer to a University for my BA
Forsyth Community College in Winston Salem has a good reputation, so check that out for the remainder of your AA. In terms of four year colleges, there are several. Assuming you want a state school so you can pay a more reasonable in-state tuition, the choices are UNC-Greensboro and Winston Salem State University (which is a historically black institution). UNCG has a good reputation and has many classes/degrees to choose from.

4)Can anyone recommend an area that fits what we need?
- Fiance is a Master collison Technician
- I am a legal Secretary
Your fiance can probably find a job anywhere in the Triad. You should probably focus on either downtown Greensboro or downtown Winston Salem.

We have a 4 year old so schools are important, but most of all, we want to be a little bit in the "country".

For schools, check out the Great Schools website. Once you have an idea of where you want to live, you can start narrowing by school scores.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point