U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,092 times

Advertisements

Please, please don't do it! I have found some of my older posts when I first was exploring NC and they are so funny to me now! I left SO CAL in 2006 during the height of the housing market because we couldn't afford CA anymore. We were going to move to AZ and all of a sudden the houses that were in our price range in 2005 were non-existent in 2006! I guess that was when AZ was getting really inflated and we ended up randomly picking NC instead because we could still get a great house for under $200k. I don't regret our move to Winston-Salem because we didn't buy an inflated house and get upside down on our mortgage like we would have had we ended up in AZ. However, we are SO homesick to get back west, even if that means AZ (a place I have never lived) just to get back to our western roots. I don't think the south will ever feel like home. I have met some great friends, but 4 years later I still feel like an outsider. This winter was horrible, but even the normal milder winters kill me and I don't have your medical situation. People always talk about how mild the southern winters are and that is true if you aren't from AZ or CA. This is a dream compared to a MI or NY winter. But, it gets cold even if the snow melts by noon. The humidity is also really bad if you aren't use to it. It wipes me out and I have now grown to only like April, May, September and October. Otherwise, most of the others months are pretty bad. Our goal now is try to get as close back to home as we can in the next few years. If you can stay put, I would. The cost of living is pretty much the same as AZ. The 2 friends I know from AZ that now live here are also very homesick and wish they could go back to Phoenix. They are also active in a church here and still feel out of place. I always assumed it was either to assimilate in NC if you were Christian! I honestly think there is a bigger difference from west to south - probably stronger than east to south. I think at least if you are from the east, the weather seems better and you aren't as far from home.....

Last edited by enlightenme; 05-21-2010 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,826 times
The point seems to be that NC and AZ are two very different states. If weather is the major catalyst, and you need dry, warm and no humidity, your decision is made. Mentions above about the people being "different" is a crock. Meeting people and making friends is the same in all locations. If one blah-blahs on and on about how "things are different here" in the new location, or "we always did it this way" back in fill-in-the blank it's highly unlikely the new people you're trying to make friends with are going to find that endearing. One needs an open mind when making a long distance move and the ability to adapt. This kind of brings to light why American tourists are so not welcomed in the rest of the world for the most part, we want everything to be just like it is back in....

Old 05-24-2010, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 12,395 times
Default Arizona to Greensboro?

(FYI, I am a NC native who lived in Oregon for six years, came back for family ties)
Cross-country moves are a big deal, and the culture is different here. Due to your medical condition you should visit here first. This winter was colder than normal buy typically we'll have several days in the 20s and a couple in the teens, with 2 or 3 snows of 5 inches or less. Snow usually doesn't stick around more than two days or so.
There's racism here just like there is everywhere else. Most of it is not overt. There are several colleges so there is some culture. Plenty of housing. Greensboro has more parks and green space than most cities it's size in NC.
Housing costs I am guessing are a little lower than AZ, not a huge amount. Greensboro's taxes have been going up for several years but if you live in a suburb you can escape some of that.
My beefs with Greensboro:
Spread out, lots of car time required to do anything unless you live really close in;
There is a bus system, but no benches or shelters at stops. I think it's institutional racism, whether intended or not (an exception to my racism comment above).
Greensboro sometimes suffers from identity issues; trying to keep up with Charlotte or Raleigh. City leaders should try to concentrate on being the best Greensboro they can.
I hope you can make a visit, spend some time and make an informed decision - good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,320 times
You would love Greensboro and the Triad as a whole. 3 hour to beach and mountains. Great lakes, All four seasons. Schools are also great in the jamestown or Summerfield, oak ridge areas. Check out a YES! Weekly - our version of your New Times and the Jamestown News or North West Observer.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,333 times
I'm from the west also and am now living in Summerfield. I live in a country setting and prefer this area far above "city living" in Greensboro. However, I plan on selling my house in Summerfield ASAP and getting back out west. I may settle in the high desert area of AZ - don't know yet - but gotta get out of here. Best to you.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,907,337 times
Agree completely....I am a NC native but FYI, just moved further south due to winter weather. I gained longer hot and humid summers but LESS cold, rainy, sleety, snowy, gray winters!!

VISIT if you think you are still interested. I have visited Phoenix and I just don't think Gboro can hold a candle to your city overall! The 4 seasons are nice (well we discussed the winter already) and the proximity to the mountains and also the LOVELY coast are the best this place has to offer....maybe stay where you are and

VACATION in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycondo View Post
NCCitySeeker, I wouldn't recommend you move. For one thing: North Carolina has some pretty cold wintertime temperatures. Lows sometimes in the 20s and occasionally teens. I have known it to get down to 9 degrees in the Triad in January or February.

For another thing: summers are very humid. Not as humid as, say, south Florida, but MUCH more humid than anyplace out west. Humidity makes the air stay warmer, so you won't get any relief come nightfall. It'll still be 85 and 90% humidity at 10 p.m.

Lastly: you've lived out west for 40some years. It's hard to make a transition to a new area of the country, take it from me. We were in our 40s when we moved to another state and the transition was very hard. The culture is different west to east (and, in our case, vice versa).

I adore NC, but then I was born and raised here. You may not realize how much you love the west until you move east.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I honestly think there is a bigger difference from west to south - probably stronger than east to south. I think at least if you are from the east, the weather seems better and you aren't as far from home.....
Just a point of order: NC is the "east". Go to the edge of NC and what do you find? Atlantic Ocean. Can't get more east than that!

Why do people say "The East" when they mean "The Northeast"? It's kind of like saying Washington state is not "The West".

Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM

56 posts, read 129,617 times
I'd like some info too... I'm thinking about moving to NC from MICHIGAN. I want to get away from the continual gray skies and bitter, wet, slippery and snowy winters.

It' 92 here right now with pretty high humidity. NC probably isn't much worse than that is it?

It seems to me, for my situation, I would be way better off in the NC winters than MI winters, and the summers probably wouldn't be all that different. Besides, you all have WONDERFUL pottery communities - and I am a potter - and there's still places to ride your horse more than 5 months a year (I have horses too).

So, what about the mosquito question... we have West Nile problems here, how about in NC?

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,333 times
I live about 5 minutes north of Greensboro, NC in a quiet country setting called Summerfield. The schools are rated high, horse ranches & boarding facilities, a beautiful area. I live across from a lake that is good for swimming and other forms of recreation. There are also many larger recreation lakes in the area. I prefer Summerfield to living in Greensboro, as I don't care for cities. However, as far as cities go, Greensboro was well designed - not too much sprawl.

The weather.... well there is 5-6 months humidity, lots of sunshine and winter snow doesn't usually stay on the ground for more than a few days. Temperatures in the summer can get into the 100s, but usually they are in the 85 to 92 range. Temperatures in the winter months are usually around 35 to 45, with the coldest in my 5 years here in the mid teens - but not as a rule. In my opinion, the best seasons are fall and spring.

Mosquito season in the Summerfield area don't seem very serious. They are out there and dogs should be protected from heart worm. Of course around the water they are more prevalent. In the time I've lived here my biggest biting insect problem is with chiggers. However, as long as the grass is kept cut low, the problem isn't as bad.

I do not like the humidity here as I am from the west coast and have lived in the southwest as well. My plan is to sell my house and get back out west where I have more familiarity with the environment and friends. I hope to put my house on the market sometime within the next year if possible.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
If the cold weather bothers your health moving here may not be in your best interest. Typical winters are comparitively mild, but every 8-10 yrs it can rival, sometimes out do the northern states. I remember a few Christmas' where I was able to wear a light jacket. Similar to Phoenix there are many transplants here, so if you feel like an outsider it's probably your own fault.
Though Greensboro is not a large as Phoenix, IMO it is not nearly as sprawled out. I love the lush green and the rolling hills here, the 2hr drive to the mountains, the fall colors, and the 4hr drive to the coast. My wife's job is relocating there (AZ) next year and during our visit I was not the least impressed. The adobe brown, mud hut, stucko motif is worse than the vinyl villages here. But I digress.
The cultural differences can be a bit of a jolt. I found the white people out west to be odd, though I really can't put my finger on it, and I am white. No offense meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point