Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM

56 posts, read 152,183 times

Advertisements

I was looking really hard at New Mexico before I thought about NC... and my research sort of turned me off from there (nm)... from what I could see and grasp from the forums, it's almost always brown to some degree with no actual grass/lawn unless you plant it and can afford to water it... which isn't going to work for my horses. Although... they have tons of horses out there, so I have no clue what they do to let them graze... the people seemed nice, but a little defensive or maybe reserved?

Either way, I was looking for a change from Michigan. I felt that the southwest was extremely appealing EXCEPT for the lack of green AND the wildfires were unthinkable! How do you load up 7 horses and make a run for it - and to WHERE come to think of it ! So I'm thinking that perhaps North Carolina will be just enough of a change PLUS still be green and have 4 seasons and be just enough more moderate in the winter that it will make up for a little bit too much heat in the summer.

As far as I can tell, the people in NC seem extremely friendly and helpful and accepting of newbies... so now I just have to find my spot and I'll be packing up and heading south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,083 times
Default The Southwest...

I lived in Santa Fe for about 1.5 years and that is where I came to a fond appreciation of the High Desert (2500 to 4000 feet). The summers and winters are both milder than the lower desert areas generally. The outlying areas I much prefer to city living as it is less expensive the further one gets from the cities.

Getting used to the "brown" landscape is often a problem for many people. I like it myself because each season brings a unique glory to the landscape. For example the summer is brown with subtle "desert pastels" in brush and trees alike. And, spring brings with it beautiful desert colors in abundance with cactus blooms and gorgeous wild flowers. If one just sees the brown (what used to look to me like "waste land"), then one misses the subtlety of plant life in the High Deserts.

Unfortunately, for many of us, the most popular high desert places of the Southwest are expensive. I am researching a number of high desert places in NM, AZ, OR, CA and WA. There are still affordable places out there I believe. Also, one other great advantage of the high desert areas is the amount of sunshine days per year - most boast around 300 days. For me this is important because of the potential for solar energy use.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
@Mama Miiagi-this forum is for one specific area of NC (the Triad area, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point). Your questions seem more geared to the state as a whole, so you should start a thread on the general NC forum, one level "up".

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM

56 posts, read 152,183 times
Sorry, didn't mean to post out of place. I actually have been trying to collect information specifically about Seagrove, but since there doesn't seem to be a topic for just that area I thought this would be the best I could find. I also thought that the coast and mountain areas would be not very similar to the Seagrove area - so "general" questions in this particular forum might get me closer to Seagrove answers. I figured it would help to ask questions in the basic area where Seagrove is so I'd get I feel for some the people that live around there too - and I guess I have... thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point