U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,030 times

Advertisements

We are 40ish year old CA natives who have lived in Phoenix, AZ for 14 years for hubby's job, my family & affordable house. We are considering the option of moving to Greeneboro, NC with hubby's employer. We can also just stay put.

He wants cooler weather, 4 seasons and more green. I am very wary of the cold, humidity and leaving the known. I have a muscle disorder, Fibromyalgia, so am unable to work. Cold makes my muscles more tense and painful so I think I'd be crazy to move were it is colder and wetter.

Any advice is very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 PM

61 posts, read 170,601 times
North Carolina is gorgeous! You won't have very much cold but you will have humidity. Maybe you should go visit Greeneboro this summer and see how the humidity affects you.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM

80 posts, read 151,719 times
Ive lived in High Point, just a few miles from Greensboro and loved it. It is a very nice place in so many ways.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,436,891 times
If I suffered from bad RA, fibromyalgia or MS, I would choose to live in a warm city. You have to understand that even places like Greenville, NC have a winter season. People seem to be under the impression that if it's not Midwestern cold then it's not cold. This isn't true. I lived in Dallas for three years and they had winters. Sure, we didn't get a lot of snow but we got our fair share of cold wind and ice and those cold mornings were not fun for 4 months out of the year.

Maybe Phoenix isn't right for you but I would encourage you to live in a city that has no winter season such as Houston, Southern California, most cities in Florida!

Also, consider the huge culture shock of moving to the South. If you think Phoenix is conservative like many Californians do, wait until you get to the South. Phoenix looks like Portland compared to North Carolina. Racism is open there and it makes our anti-immigrant laws seem racially benign by comparison. That area is also very much a part of the Bible Belt so there are a lot of conservative Christians that seem like more conservative version of Mormons.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,927,572 times
To answer your question, with truly good intentions.....DO NOT COME TO NC. This is funny. I am trying to relocate myself to the Southwest...preferably Phoenix(fingers crossed)..Charlotte is a married town....very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM

85 posts, read 209,540 times
Dear OP -- Couldn't help but put my 2 cents in on this to correct a few misconceptions put forth by other responders.

Last September we visited Greensboro on our trip to consider where to retire. It's a nice, friendly city with the four seasons and green as per your husband desires. In September it was certainly warm, but not partiularly humid, but I don't doubt it can be quite humid at other times.

Although the area is probably rather conservative in the rural areas, that is not necessarily true in the more urban vicinities. Both the Triad and Triangle are among the most liberal areas of NC. In the last presidentila election, NC went blue.

While we were there, we visited with former neighbors from Syracuse, NY who are living in Elon, about 30 miles East of Greensboro. They told us that in their 6-7 years there they have possibly pulled a snowshovel out to clear the drive not much more than once or twice a winter, if that. Generally, what little snow they might get is gone by noon. (This past winter may have proved an exception to that, but then it was a very stange winter in the East.)

Taxes in Greensboro are much lower than we pay in NY. Chances are they'll be lower than you pay in Phoenix too. I know your real estate market has crashed there (we have family in Phoenix) so I'm not sure what to tell you about the cost of housing in the Triad. It's definitely lower than our area of New York state (the Hudson Valley), but I'm not sure how it'll compare to your market. We found we could buy a very nice home in the mid- to upper- $100s, but then since we're downsizing we need less of a home than your family might.

Greensboro has several colleges either in the city or in other Triad cities and towns. Major Broadway shows and concerts stop in the area, but the culture is quite different from Phoenix to be sure. Still it has a lot to offer.

Bigotry is no worse there than in Phoenix. Sure, it exists, but it's not the 1950s there anymore either.

So do go visit and assess it for yourself before you make a decision. No one can tell you what is right for you except you. Don't be discouraged about what folks say about Greenville, NC (a military town) or Charlotte, NC (yes, a more conservative city) -- those towns are not Greensboro.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,096,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Phoenix is a married town....very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...
I fixed your quote for you. ........ok, I guess Phoenix has better nightlife, cultural, and arts scene..if you don't mind driving an hour.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,030 times
Thank you all very much. We will continue our research and try to plan a visit. If we go this summer, we could get a very good, first hand experience with the humidity and heat combined. Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM

196 posts, read 403,019 times
Having lived in Phoenix and Cincinnati, I would say definetly come here in the summer and winter if you have that much time. My wife has similar issues to yours and I have had 3 knee surgeries and the past 2 winters here my knees have really bothered me. We have been here for 3 years and will probabl y be leaving soon to come back out to Phoenix. Housing here is not less then there since the market has come down. We can say NC is nice but we as a family like AZ better for sure. Try it and see. It has been harder to make friends here for us for some reason. Not sure why. Good luck though.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 43,564 times
NCCitySeeker, I wouldn't recommend you move. For one thing: North Carolina has some pretty cold wintertime temperatures. Lows sometimes in the 20s and occasionally teens. I have known it to get down to 9 degrees in the Triad in January or February.

For another thing: summers are very humid. Not as humid as, say, south Florida, but MUCH more humid than anyplace out west. Humidity makes the air stay warmer, so you won't get any relief come nightfall. It'll still be 85 and 90% humidity at 10 p.m.

Lastly: you've lived out west for 40some years. It's hard to make a transition to a new area of the country, take it from me. We were in our 40s when we moved to another state and the transition was very hard. The culture is different west to east (and, in our case, vice versa).

I adore NC, but then I was born and raised here. You may not realize how much you love the west until you move east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point