U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 PM

18 posts, read 43,608 times

Advertisements

I really miss living in Greensboro. I had to move out of state last year due to a job transfer. When I lived in NC I used to take so much for granted -- the gentle weather (relative to other places), the friendly people, the light traffic and good roads (again, relative to other places), the wealth of great shopping, cultural activities and museums, historical attractions and farmers markets, the low sales tax rate, the short drives to both the mountains and the beaches...the list goes on and on. Every day I wish I were back in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 9,262,721 times
Me too sometimes. Where are you now?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM

331 posts, read 692,161 times
I do too! Some people complain about the slow pace of life there but it was fine for me. Pretty neighborhoods, lots of community spirit and plenty of people who are nice to you and expect nothing in return (unlike Raleigh, where the majority of people are friendly only if they think they can get something from you. There, I said it).

Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 43,608 times
I live in an adjoining state now, and it's amazing to me how different the culture is there. It's still the south, but it's not nearly as friendly. I don't want to talk disparagingly of the place I live now, but just to praise North Carolina -- because when I lived there I took a lot of good things for granted.

For instance, my ideal vacation to NC would include the following:

1. Spend a day in Asheville. Tour Biltmore House, spend a few hours browsing in the funky shops downtown, go to Malaprops bookstore and have a coffee.

2. Spend a day in Asheboro. Go to the zoo, maybe drive on down 220 and go to some Seagrove potteries.

3. Spend a day in Winston-Salem. Go to Old Salem, buy lots of Moravian sugar cake at the bakery, visit Reynolda Gardens.

4. Spend a day in Greensboro. Visit the excellent public library, have lunch at Yum Yum or Jack's Corner, go to the Weatherspoon Museum, go shopping at Friendly Center, have dinner at Saigon or Binh Minh.

5. Spend a day in Raleigh. Go to the Museum of Art. Go to the Museum of Natural History. Have lunch at a brew pub. Go see an IMAX.

6. Spend a day in Lexington, the only place I know where you can get a barbecue salad. Tour Childress Winery. Walk around downtown, window shopping and viewing the Pigs on Main Street. My favorite: the Lanier Hardware pig, all covered with nuts and bolts.

7. Spend a day (or more) at the beach. Carolina Beach or Emerald Isle, maybe. Walk along the shoreline, watching the waves come in, just like they did before we were born and will continue to do after we're gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point