U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times

Advertisements

It's strawberry season in NC! So tell me about your favorite pick-them-yourself farm. I usually get them from local farmers markets or roadside stands. In fact, I got some very good ones last week at the Mostly Local Market in Lewisville. But I know there are several farms around the area, and I'd like to patronize them. Anyone have recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 AM

583 posts, read 2,606,437 times
Our own patch of strawberries is producing more than we can eat! Yummy

For others wanting to get their strawberries, etc. this site will help you find local markets and farms close to you...
NC Farm Fresh

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM

^ Awesome. I've grown strawberries in the past, but the birds, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. always got them before I could. I suppose I should invest in some netting next time.

Thanks for posting the NC Farm Fresh link--it's a great resource! I had checked it out a few weeks ago, and there are 3 farms listed in Forsyth County. Two are in Kernersville and one is in Belews Creek. I'd love to find somewhere a bit closer to my house (Clemmons), but if not I'll probably go visit one of them this weekend.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Awesome. I've grown strawberries in the past, but the birds, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. always got them before I could. I suppose I should invest in some netting next time.

Thanks for posting the NC Farm Fresh link--it's a great resource! I had checked it out a few weeks ago, and there are 3 farms listed in Forsyth County. Two are in Kernersville and one is in Belews Creek. I'd love to find somewhere a bit closer to my house (Clemmons), but if not I'll probably go visit one of them this weekend.
Are you close to Fry Bridge Rd in Clemmons where you can get onto Hwy 150 by turning right at the gas station? Just a few miles up Hwy 150 on the left side of the road is a great little U-pick patch. There is a little white house in front and a field on side of the road, you go up there dirt driveway and there is stand where they give you the buckets or have already picked flats. It technically becomes Lexington by a mailing address, but I am pretty sure they may be part HWY 150 in North Davidson county that is still Arcadia. I think it is either Arcadia or just becoming Reedy Creek. If you keep driving HWY 150 past that patch, there is another one a few miles up, but you have to turn left off Hwy 150. We went to that one last year, but found it by the little signs off Hwy 150. Their berries were awesome last year! The 1st one I just wrote about weren't as sweet May 1st, but it was the first weekend they were open. I want to try for more tomorrow to see if they have sweetened up. If you want to send me a msg, I can try to give you better directions! In July there is also an awesome blueberry field on Ebert St. in W-S.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Okay, I just went on the NC farm website. I am pretty sure Wood Farm is the one I went to that is up Hwy 150 and then you turn left following some signs. I still think it may be close to you in Clemmons if you take Fry Bridge Rd off Hampton I think. The blueberry place is Reich's. It is pretty small, but it is an easy location and they are organic!

Wood Farms
View Listing
253 Hoover Road
Lexington, NC 27295
Davidson County
Office Phone: (336) 731-4631

Reich's Blueberries
View Listing
4875 Ebert Road
Winston Salem, NC 27127
Forsyth County
Office Phone: (336) 764-4748

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM

222 posts, read 848,988 times
The Fishel's have the strawberry farm on 150 and we called today and the man said they were 'all picked down'. Bummer for us.

Wood Farms is on Hoover Road close to Arnold Rd which is closer to Lexington/Welcome area. I called them and the recording said they were closed but still had greenhouse tomatos.

Our favorite patch off Enterprise Rd closed years ago. I've gone to Mabe's in Germanton. Great patch but a good drive from Arcadia.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
The Fishel's have the strawberry farm on 150 and we called today and the man said they were 'all picked down'. Bummer for us.

Wood Farms is on Hoover Road close to Arnold Rd which is closer to Lexington/Welcome area. I called them and the recording said they were closed but still had greenhouse tomatos.

Our favorite patch off Enterprise Rd closed years ago. I've gone to Mabe's in Germanton. Great patch but a good drive from Arcadia.
Oh no! Thanks for the information. If it wasn't raining tomorrow I was going to try the Fishel's farm. I can't believe I only got in one picking this year!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 AM

Well, Saturday's rain got in the way of my berry hunting. Maybe I can find some next weekend, but it sounds like many places are already picked out. Oh well, there's always next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point