U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 15,437 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is being relocated from Houston, TX to the new outlets in Mebane, NC and subsequently we are looking at our housing options in the surrounding areas. Neither of us have lived outside of Texas, and have no insight into the area.

He will be working in Mebane, and I will need to find employment. Here are my questions:

-What is the work commute like to Greensboro vs. Durham?
-Living in Mebane vs. Burlington?
-Safe communities/neighborhoods and crime?
-Any areas/neighborhoods to stay away from?

Any insight you can give us into the area would be so greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
yeay outlets!! lol
ok well first off, if he will be working in Mebane, he is going to love the fact that you can actually live in Mebane. it's a great little town with lots of small town stuff going on.
commute to greensboro and durham depends on where in those 2 locations, but about 30-45 minutes in either direction. Mebane is right in the middle.

Mebane is a safe small town with lots of great neighborhoods to choose from. there really isnt a place/area to stay away from that i know of.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM

598 posts, read 1,521,098 times
Mebane is fine, but depending upon your "outside of work" interests you might consider Durham or Greensboro. Coming from Houston where there are things to do, living in Mebane could be a bit of culture shock. The commute to either is about equidistant. Durham/Chapel Hill provide a bit more to do than Greensboro but they're also a bit more expensive than Greensboro. If I were you, I'd probably opt for Durham (or Hillsborough, which is on the Mebane side of Durham).

Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,354 times
Mebane is nicer than Burlington. You will be driving to Burlington and Durham for most things. I'm not aware of any unsafe areas in Mebane. I do like Mebane (I live about five minutes away in Efland). BUT, as niceguy mentioned it is a drive to everything. In a couple years after our three years is up in our house we're moving to Hillsborough. It is more expensive than Mebane, but it is closer to Durham which is where I pretty much go for everything, yet still a small town with lots of charm and with most of what I need right there. (better restaurants and has Weaver St. Market)

Anyways, if you don't mind a longer commute and drive for most things then you may enjoy the small town. It's very affordable and with the new outlet mall opening up there will be more out there. It is a great location for more job opportunities since it is within commuting distance to both Durham and Greensboro. Most people I know in Mebane drive into Durham more so than Greensboro, the drive seems to be a bit shorter/less traffic. Burlington is closer to Greensboro, has more stuff, is more affordable, but just isn't as nice. You could also consider Graham which is between Mebane and Burlington, but it isn't that nice either. Graham and Burlington could be great if you aren't to picky, and looking for very affordable housing that isn't WAY out in the country.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 27,045 times
We currently live in NC (about two hours south)but are moving to Mebane as soon as our house sells and they build our new one.. We are very excited! Mebane seems like a great place to live.. The one thing I would highly suggetst is to make sure you are on the Alamance side not the Orange county side.. The schools are WAY better.. Just go to greatschools.net for the proof.. Our realtor would not even show us the Orange county side once we said we had young children.. I love the small town feel of Mebane and the fact that there are stores and restaurants right in town yet Burlington is only like 10-15 minutes and Burlington would have just about anything you need.. Good Luck...

Old 05-29-2010, 02:36 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananyie View Post
We currently live in NC (about two hours south)but are moving to Mebane as soon as our house sells and they build our new one.. We are very excited! Mebane seems like a great place to live.. The one thing I would highly suggetst is to make sure you are on the Alamance side not the Orange county side.. The schools are WAY better.. Just go to greatschools.net for the proof.. Our realtor would not even show us the Orange county side once we said we had young children.. I love the small town feel of Mebane and the fact that there are stores and restaurants right in town yet Burlington is only like 10-15 minutes and Burlington would have just about anything you need.. Good Luck...
oh dear...just so you know, everyone around here thinks the Orange county side has better schools. the school system has more to offer. yes you will pay more taxes.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,924 times
I have to agree with Bananyie.. You want to be on the Alamance side.. Years ago parents from the Orange county side even paid for theirs kids to go to the Alamance schools.. They no longer allow this with really upset many people on the Orange county side.. Plus its really nice that all the schools on the Alamance side are right in Mebane.. South Mebane Elementry is rated an 8 (Alamance side) Efland Elementry is rated a 4 (Orange county side)... I do feel bad for the people who bought on the Orange county side.... the schools don't even compare...

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 36,205 times
Hello,
We are looking to relocate to Mebane as well. We are currently looking at building in two subdivisions. One is CopperStone the other is Asbury. Any thoughts/opinions on either of these?

thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM

43 posts, read 99,375 times
We moved to Graham last summer and enjoy living here. No experience with schools because our child is grown up. We have found Graham to be a very nice place to live - everyone is friendly, the library is great, and where we live seems very peaceful and safe. We looked at Copperstone and also considered Ashbury but we wanted a one story three bedroom townhouse with garage and there were none available in those developments. I suggest looking at each town before you decide.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 PM

116 posts, read 331,913 times
Schooldigger ranks school districts. Orange ranks 38th for the state and Alamance 65th. That being said, South Mebane Elementary (Alamance) is considered a "4 star" school and Efland Cheeks (Orange) is considered a "2 star" school.

But, no one can argue the taxes in Alamance is way less than Orange.

(Note: I own a lot in Orange county SW of Mebane that I plan to build on some day.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point