Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjerseyite
Now that the downtown is revitalizing, the most "real" place to move is into an older neighborhood, with 5 miles downtown. That includes Starmount, Hamilton Lakes, Fisher Park, College Park, Sunset Hills, Guilford College area. ....

.... Also, if you're not used to it already, there is real culture shock for a Northeasterner moving into the Bible Belt. Evangelical Christians right and left . Politeness is refreshing though. If you're not religious and you'll need to build a social circle through your other interests, people tend to socialize here within their church circle.
If you're interested in urban neighborhoods, those are some nice ones. Sunset Hills is probably my favorite.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about "Evangelical Christians". Greensboro is large enough that you won't feel excluded if you don't follow those beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 03:04 PM
JAS

Default ZIP codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie
...When you mentioned the NW part of the area, did you mean up around Summerfield? We have an ADC map and I also see some ZIPS in that direction - 27358, 27409, 27410, 27455,etc. Were these the areas you had in mind? If I have zip codes I'm able to look up houses on REALTOR.COM! You also mentioned bad areas around Four Seasons Mall - is that the main mall in the area? Do you feel safe shopping there? I noticed a lot of shopping areas on the map on West Wendover - how is that area? ( P.S -When I used the term "crime-ridden" about UNC I didn't mean for it to sound that harsh!! I had already used the term "crime levels" and was trying not to repeat myself!!! ) Thank you again for all of your help - we really appreciate it!!
NW Greensboro is 27410, Oak Ridge is 27310, Summerfield is 27455 and maybe 27358 (not sure). The city neighborhoods west of downtown may be 27409, but I'm not sure.

I feel safe shopping at Four Seasons. Use common sense, however - the High Point Rd and Coliseum area is known for crime and grime. As long as you're not walking across the parking lot at 11:00 at night by yourself, you won't experience any trouble.

West Wendover is the primary "big-box" thoroughfare in GSO, as well as the auto mile w/car dealerships. Again, nothing to worry about crime-wise as long as you use common sense. Most crime in that area would be that typical of large shopping areas - don't leave your new computer in the back of your car while stopping to shop elsewhere, common sense stuff like that. Nothing any different than most shopping areas.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
JAS

Default Smw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW
Thank you both for your posts. You probably don't realize how helpful your contributions to these posts are for people who can't employ any of their own senses and judgment to an area yet so Thank You again!!

I'm glad to hear from someone who lives in the Military Park area. I'm considering buying a townhouse in the area. I don't have kids so schools are not an issue, but I'd still like to buy something that would appeal to someone else should I decide to sell or rent it out later on.

I hear a lot about the NC friendliness and friendly neighbors (which I actually have now as well.) Does that seem to be true for "city dwellers" and apartment/condo/townhouse dwellers? Do people reach out to neighbors there or do they keep to themselves? It's seems to be here that the higher the crime rate of an area is, the less friendly and helpful people are to each other, a sort of self-protection I suppose.
We walk around Guilford Courthouse and Country Park frequently, but I can't comment too much about living there since I haven't experienced that side of it. There are a lot of apartments and townhouses in that area, and it's certainly convenient to a lot of things. Also check out Bur-Mil park a few miles north of there for extensive hiking trails, community swimming pool, other recreation.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 PM

34 posts, read 110,563 times
To SMW & Lillie--
Feel free to email me if you want to pick my brain--I'll email my phone number. You know, everything is relative. I have friends that live all over Guilford county, far and wide, and they like where they are just fine. But me, I prefer the older neighborhoods.

There is some really nifty development going on right downtown. A neo-traditional neighborhood, and the Southside neighborhood, and more stuff. In 5 years the downtown went from dead to booming, with people on the streets on Thurs, Fri, Sat nights.

I think once the Civil Rights Museum is finished downtown it will be an important draw. I'm v. proud that the Woolworth lunch counter sit-in was in Greensboro; it started the entire sit-in movement. The Smithsonian is involved now, so hopefully the funding will be found and the project will get finished.

But, I'd never move anywhere (again) without renting first and getting to know tje place. We made the mistake of purchasing a house in a cul-de-sac neighborhood after 3 days of house shopping in Guilford Cty. Ended up disliking the section of town, the schools, the lack of trees, etc etc.

There is a sizeable newcomers club that you could join. Also, many people move South and find religion--It's certainly a great way to meet people, have an instant social network, and feel like you belong. I'm not religious but did try the Unitarians for a time.

On the street, people will greet you, even kids do it, they make eye contact; it's almost shocking at first. Then you get used to it and you go back north for a visit and can't believe how rude someone was who passed you on the street without saying 'hey' or 'g'morning' or smiling! And get this, instead of ramming you with their cart at the grocery store, people say excuse me, smile, and patiently wait for you to get out of the way.

You have a huge choice of condos, apts, and townhomes everywhere in town. There is a glut. New cul-de-sac neighborhoods are popping up everywhere too. [My real estate agent friend says she's expecting to see lots of builders declaring bankruptcy this year.] No rhyme or reason, no master plan that is enforced; developers have free rein here. Don't buy next to a forest and expect it to remain there for very long!

Plus, northerners are seen as suckers too, and we are, coming from a tight housing market. Don't get taken. Don't offer the asking price!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:17 PM

36 posts, read 218,989 times
To JAS - Thanks again!! I will check all of those Zips on REALTOR.COM. - that should keep me busy for awhile!! Again, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to help - really appreciate it!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM

36 posts, read 218,989 times
To exjerseyite - Thanks again for all of the wise advice!! You have been very helpful!!

Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Quote:
I'm v. proud that the Woolworth lunch counter sit-in was in Greensboro; it started the entire sit-in movement.
Me too. I'll be glad when they get it done.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 56,540 times
Angry Don't do it!

I'm from NYC - bronx area. This place sucks. It is too quiet, there is nothing to do, and there are no jobs. I'm not trying to downplay the area, but it really is unbelievable.

1) I can't seem to find anything to listen to on the radio ( besides country and dirty south hip-hop ). I've heard that this is a "college-town" but it is not diverse.

2) The public transportation sucks. Areas out of the "downtown" area can not be reached without a car. Everything is very far away.

3) There are no nightclubs for people with different cultures. ie. Lots of NYC clubs have reggae, hip hop, pop, r&b and latin sections. I've been to many places like this, but they at least had a rollerskating rink with teen nights and stuff.

4) I've applied to every retail / personel company I could find, and still there are no jobs. In other cases, even with educational background, the salary isn't enough for a working mom.

5) The colleges down here...

I hope that helps you out with your decision.

~~ Seriously missin the city

Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christi9 View Post
I'm from NYC - bronx area. This place sucks. It is too quiet, there is nothing to do, and there are no jobs. I'm not trying to downplay the area, but it really is unbelievable.

1) I can't seem to find anything to listen to on the radio ( besides country and dirty south hip-hop ). I've heard that this is a "college-town" but it is not diverse.

2) The public transportation sucks. Areas out of the "downtown" area can not be reached without a car. Everything is very far away.

3) There are no nightclubs for people with different cultures. ie. Lots of NYC clubs have reggae, hip hop, pop, r&b and latin sections. I've been to many places like this, but they at least had a rollerskating rink with teen nights and stuff.

4) I've applied to every retail / personel company I could find, and still there are no jobs. In other cases, even with educational background, the salary isn't enough for a working mom.

With all due respect, you knew that you were moving to the South, right? There is NO place like NYC, no place that is the international melting pot that is NYC.

In the back of your mind, you had to have understood that there would be a trade-off, right? Even a cursory visit of NC should have uncovered that.

I would recommend ATL for you, which has a higher pay scale than NC and is a bit more diverse in things to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 159,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christi9 View Post

Well have you gone to any of the triad career fairs that they hold every spring and fall? Get your face in front of the recureters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point