U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,509,310 times

Advertisements

Usually I see deer in November or during mating season in the Fall. Recently in the past few weeks I have seen several packs of deer and tonight one was walking down my sidewalk. I don't live in the country but there are some wide open fields nearby that are undeveloped yet some busy roads and even stores within a mile as well. What was interesting is I was going out to put something in my mailbox around 11PM when I saw the deer. It did not seem afraid of me and I did make noise walking before I saw it. The deer just stared at me and kept walking past me within 20 feet not considering me a threat. Of course my son told me I was nuts because deer can charge at you but what do I know! I also usually don't see a lone deer as they tend to travel in packs. Is anyone experiencing these sightings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 AM

583 posts, read 2,606,933 times
We've been seeing a lot of deer too!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 AM

201 posts, read 519,441 times
do you live near area that has been recently cleared or is being developed?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,077,851 times
This is the time of year when fawns are born.
And the ones that were born last year are now about a year old. Those are striking out on their own and finding their own territory and groups.
It's a new cycle. Mama has a new baby. The ones that were born last year are leaving Mama and looking to be on their own.
There are actualy two heavily active deer seasons. In the fall when they are in rut, and about this time of year when the yearlings go out on their own and start roaming.
You may see a larger amount of road kill than you have since last fall so be carefull on the roads especialy at dawn and dusk.
The yearlings may not be in groups yet but they will before long when they start banding together with their own little clans.
If you should see a new born fawn, stay away. Mama is very protective.
This time next year Mama will chase off this years crop when she is about ready to give birth again. The cycle continues year after year.
My daughter was in W.va this past weekend on an old rural road. She saw a deer and stopped to let her kids see it. Then she noticed a beautiful little spotted new born fawn. She zoomed in with the camera and got a picture. Great picture. I don't know if there is anything cuter than a new born fawn in the animal world.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,509,310 times
I expected it to be frightened but it did start to walk towards us then we freaked and ran LOL Isn't that uncommon or is it just not afraid of humans yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point