U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,454 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I just accepted a job offer in Greensboro, NC. I will be relocating with my children from LA. I'm attracted to the area because of what it offers the children, but I'm a bit concerned about what the move will mean for me in terms of a social life.

I love outdoor activiites but I'm also very social.

Are there any transplants who can share thier experiences? I'm also interested in hearing the local perspective.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM

598 posts, read 1,521,353 times
Congratulations on the new job! Besides a great opportunity for your children, it will be a nice change from a major rat race like LA (I'm assuming you mean Los Angeles and not Louisiana). I haven't relocated to Greensboro yet, but know the area from having lived there in the 90s. There are social opportunities for singles here, despite the preconceived notions of the area as being all about families all the time. You hit the nail on the head with the mention of outdoor activities, check out the various clubs/organizations geared toward running, cycling, hiking, etc. You'll meet some great people and fill up your social calendar.

Greensboro Running Club : Over 30 years!
The Greensboro Velo Club - Greensboro Original Cycling Club
Piedmont Hiking and Outing Club - Home
Greensboro Ski & Outing Club
Greensboro Sports and Social Club | Greensboro Adult Sports | Greensboro Coed Sports | Greensboro Social Sports

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 26,343 times
Hello,

I just arrived in Greensboro three weeks ago, also for a new job, m oving from the Los Angeles area. I have not had time to start venturing out with the exception of looking at houses so I also am interested what everyone has to say and their suggestions.

Me, single and 50.

I can suggest you go to meetup.com. No not a dating sight but a place to find groupes for different outings. I signed up for hiking, kayaking and anything outdoors.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks for replying.

Niceguy - I feel better already just hearing people in/from the area speak of a single scene. At first glance (and based on my realtor), it very much seemed dominated by families, which is great but I also want to meet single friends and date.

Ontheway - Congrats on the move and new job. I wish you all the best as you begin to venture out.

Do you know which areas of Greensboro are most appealing to you? I was taken around the NE section. I will explore more when I arrive in 2 weeks.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,353 times
The most appealing area for me is the west side...the Friendly Avenue/Guilford College area east of I-73 and north of Market Street.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,928,968 times
I know that you are moving from LA for job reasons but Im curious...even with the housing bust..I would think housing would be now more affordable in that area with all the foreclosures and what not....and way,way, way way way more stuff to do out there as opposed to here. All I can say is get ready for culture shock....Had two friends move here from San Diego the other from Denver during NC "BOOM" years....Did not work out for them...Could not find high paying jobs..and it was not enough diversity for them.Needless to say they ended up moving back and found good jobs....Go figure and are much happier. As a native..who's trying to relocate out west.....NC is not all conservative, but mostly conservative..... very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...Good Luck to ya.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I know that you are moving from LA for job reasons but Im curious...even with the housing bust..I would think housing would be now more affordable in that area with all the foreclosures and what not....and way,way, way way way more stuff to do out there as opposed to here. All I can say is get ready for culture shock....Had two friends move here from San Diego the other from Denver during NC "BOOM" years....Did not work out for them...Could not find high paying jobs..and it was not enough diversity for them.Needless to say they ended up moving back and found good jobs....Go figure and are much happier. As a native..who's trying to relocate out west.....NC is not all conservative, but mostly conservative..... very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...Good Luck to ya.

[+] Rate this post positively
In my opinion, you are pretty right on the money. I grew up 90 miles north of LA where it is a bit more quiet/less diverse and it is still a shock to my system living in Winston-Salem. Plus I am part of that familyville soccer mom crowd and it still doesn't feel right for me. I know a lot of it is a state of mind (my mind wants to go back to CA!) and you can be happy anywhere if you make your own happiness, blah, blah. I can convince myself of being happy here a lot easier in the spring/fall, but find it harder to stay positive in the summer/winter months. There is nothing wrong with it here and it is a fairly decent place to raise a family, but it feels like I am settling. I think dating is hard no matter where you live, but I think the hardness factor may go up a notch in the Triad area. I agree with the other poster who said to go on meetup.com - I have met the majority of my friends through groups on that website. It is a good resource to meet people. I have one friend here from LA and she loves it so far, mostly because the traffic was taking such a toll on her. 2 other So CA friends lasted 1-2 years and moved back. We are ready to move back as soon as we can get our house sold and a job lined up in CA. So, realistically I will be retiring here!!! Good luck. You may be so burnt out on the drama of living in LA this may feel like heaven to you....it is definitely a slower pace of life.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Default willing to lend a hand

Hi, another single professional mother here. I have been working in Greensboro for years and have very recently moved here from a neighboring county. I can't speak much to having a social life (yet), but PM me if you have questions about finding a good neighborhood, etc. I will do my best to help.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I've since finished my relocation and I'm trying to fnd my niche. For some reason, this relocation has been tough...one thing after another going wrong & it turns out my new boss is a bit of a nightmare. I've done LOTS of moves in the past and this one has been the toughest. I'm hoping things settle down so I can get a real feel for life in GSO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point