U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 16,284 times

Advertisements

Hello to all you local residents:

Found a great little house for sale built in 1909 and recently renovated and in good aparent condition. The neighborhood is Pomona Park, by Spring Garden St and Merritt Dr (27407). I'll be attending UNCG for the next 3 years to complete my degree in Architechtural Design. Instead of renting, my boyfriend and I + Pit Bull, are contemplating buying this home. The asking price is about 70K which is in par with comps and 35K more than what we budgeted as rental costs for 3 yrs.

It turns out that this area is part of a Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) to help communities that have suffered from foreclosures and abandonment. Low income families are given special incentives through HUD & FANNIE MAE and authorized under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Question? How safe will we feel there? Is it a question of an older neighborhood with older & low income residents or a more serious problem of criminal activity? Is there an ongoing effort by the local gov to make improvements? Would you live there if you owned a nice house, close to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM

627 posts, read 1,865,468 times
Hi Tastychat-

I live on Brevard Street which across the street from Pomona Park. According to the Greensboro Police crime map (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Police/Statistics/crimemaps.htm - broken link), Pomona Park it is a high crime area. My area, right across the street is a low crime area, which is weird. We've never had any problems.

I think the area is possibly on the upswing, two years ago a $25 million dollar student housing complex was built where the Cotton Mill Square mall was and UNCG was looking at the available land to build an athletic field. And UNCG is looking at extending the Heat bus (student busing) to the area. But there are a lot of big "ifs". Another option to look at is the Glenwood neighborhood across the street from UNCG. There are low cost houses there too.
donny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point