U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 19,420 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I wanted to know if the Winston Salem/Greensboro Area have tornadoes, if so, how often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM

273 posts, read 850,323 times
Tornadoes...........

Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 AM

138 posts, read 367,039 times
Here's a great page from the State Climate Office of North Carolina:

Tornadoes | State Climate Office of North Carolina

Basically, we have a relatively low occurance of tornados, and the ones we do have, tend to be weaker tornados.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM

231 posts, read 610,013 times
I wouldn't say "relatively low" occurence.
On that same site, I'm more interested in these maps:

Low compared to Oklahoma, maybe, but as you can see on the national map, we have a medium to high risk of tornadoes.
They do tend to be weaker, but even weak twisters are dangerous.

All that said, if I were considering relocating to this part of NC, tornado activity would not even factor into the equation.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 19,420 times
Default Tornadoes in the Triad

Thanks everyone for the information!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 PM

84 posts, read 191,187 times
We're not in a good area to get tornadoes. Mountains tend to break up supercells, and the higher rain content of storms here makes tornadoes weaker and less common. We're more likely to get wind damage then tornadoes.

That higher rain content also makes them harder to observe. (BTW, current news is that the observation site at PTI as safe- which should save about 6 jobs)

Eastern NC, most of those are also weak tornadoes spawned off by tropical cyclones. The actual cyclone itself and its effects are more dangerous then those tornadoes usually. When I was in the service, one of the dudes on my squadon was going for his pee test (you get those randomly), and the tornado landed right on his car. The car managed to live- that should tell you something.

That's not to say F0's can't be dangerous/deadly, but we're not in a favored area for it.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,038,023 times
They are about on par with hens' teeth. They happen, but....you could go old and grey waiting on one.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
An EF2 touched down in Clemmons & Colfax area 3 yrs ago. Two months EF3 tornadoes touched down in Davidson county & northern High Point & caused about 10 million in damages.
While its true they aren't frequent I wouldn't be dismissive about it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM

138 posts, read 367,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
While its true they aren't frequent I wouldn't be dismissive about it.
Guilford county averages 1 observed tornado every 5.89 yrs, with 2 injuries in 53 years that's .038 injuries per year. There are ~500,000 residents of Guilford county. So in a given year your odds of being injured in Guilford county by a tornado are 1 in 1.3 million. Let's put that in perspective with some more odds:

Odds of being attacked by a shark in the US: 1 in 8.0 million
Odds of dying from a wasp, hornet, or bee sting: 1 in 5.9 million
Odds of drowning in your bathtub: 1 in 800,000
Odds of a deadly fall down a flight of stairs: 1 in 200,000
Odds of death in a motor vehicle accident: 1 in 6,000

So I'd worry about a tornado about half as often as I worry about drowning in my tub.

And thanks to April's tornado I won't have to worry again for quite some time.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 43,562 times
Soon2BNCN, I guess it depends on where you're coming from. I am a North Carolina native who moved west of the Appalachians (to Tennessee) a couple of years ago. North Carolina is protected in some ways by the mountain range -- there are fewer tornadoes, fewer scary-strong thunderstorms, and less flooding in the Piedmont of North Carolina than in Tennessee. That isn't to say tornadoes never happen in NC -- they do, sometimes. But when I moved I was very surprised to learn how mild NC weather is compared to Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point