Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,791 times

Advertisements

I think there are an awful lot of people that fall into gsupstates description of social liberal / financial conservative. I'm one of them!

No harm/ no foul........

You need to pay a visit to Greenville. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised to find that the generalized labels placed on us southerners are not applicable to all.

At least in the circles I run, Greenville is progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
scott,
I think that you unintentionally opened a can of worms with your assesment of conservatives. Ironically I've felt for a long time that "liberal tolerance" is the biggest oxymoron in the US. I'm pro-life yet to a liberal I'm against a womans right to choose. I'm against affirmative action, so therefore i must be a racist. I'm strongly opposed to illegal immigration, again I'm a bigot, despite the fact that I'm the son of an immigrant and the husband of one. I belive in God, family and country, what a backwards, right-wing bible thumper I must be.

I don't know what "progressive" means. If you mean progressing towards a secular fundamentalist, godless society, then no, G'ville isn't for you. If you're asking if there is an arts scene here with local music and theater and a strong sense of family then the answer is a resounding yes.

My wife and I moved here almost 3 months ago from LA, one of the most "progressive" cities in america. However it was almost solely populated by group think and divergent opinion wasn't wanted. We moved here because Greenville still by and large shared my ideals on what a "community" should be. It's a great place to raise a family and belong to something greater than yourself. I love it here but it's really important not to wish the place you moved to is just like the place you moved from. That would be intolerant.

Asheville is similar in climate and scenery to Greenville but leans more to the left where as G'ville does lean to the right despite some claims from others. We should never be ashamed of who we are. Visit them both and talk it over.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 AM

63 posts, read 180,880 times
Scott,

All I can say is, if you get to the area look us up/ let us know. We too are 30 somethings without kids and it sure would be wonderful to get together with other kidless couples. By the way, I'm originally from the Jersey Shore so "Hey neighbor!"

Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
DD,
Where in the Jersey Shore are you from? I tell people that I'm originally from South jersey and they so , "oh, where, Manasquan, Point Pleasant?" I respond, "That's not South jersey, that's central jersey." lol I'm from waaaaaaay down in SJ, grew up in Linwood and lived in Ocean City and Ventnor and spent a lot of my wild early 20's in Margate and AC.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM

63 posts, read 431,620 times
Default Try the Handelbar

for music in Greenville, quite simply it rocks.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott71 View Post
Hi,
I am a songwriter as a trade, and can do it just about anywhere, but would you consider Greenville a musical community? I don't really mean cover bands in brew pubs, but more so venues/bars for original music?
Greenville has lots of places to listen to live music and even more local artists playing original music (granted, we're no Austin or Nashville, but I suspect we may get there eventually). We do have our share of cover bands, too, unfortunately, but I suspect many of them are simply honing their talents on covers until they can write their own material (hopefully with help from a great songwriter ).

If you're interested in recording, check out Edwin McCain's OMG Studios.

There are many restaurants downtown which feature live music (The "G"athering Spot, Wild Wing Cafe (http://www.wildwingcafe.com/greenville.html - broken link), Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria, The Acoustic Seen (broken link) at Coffee Underground, and many many more).

A couple of the more popular listening rooms:
  • The Handlebar
  • Carpenter's Cellar (http://carpenterscellar.com/homepage.htm - broken link)

Of course, the big venues:
Summertime offers several music series:
  • Music by the Lake (http://www.furman.edu/depts/music//degreesandprograms/MusicbytheLakeSchedule2007.pdf - broken link) at Furman University
  • Reedy River Nighttime Concert Series (http://www.greatergreenville.com/visitors/rrncs.asp - broken link)
  • Rhythm on the River
  • Downtown Alive
  • Main Street Jazz

Most of the major festivals also feature lots of live outdoor music:
I think even the USA Cycling Pro Championships (http://www.usacyclingchampionships.com/ - broken link) have a concert or two

If you're looking for something perhaps more up-scale, check out:

Last edited by RestedTraveler; 06-20-2007 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
RT, how could you forget our two full-time downtown jazz clubs?

The Brown Street Club - True upscale atmosphere (think NYC) in an intimate setting.

Roper's Jazz Caverns (broken link) - more casual in nature with plenty to eat and drink.

Also nearby on Coffee Street is Addy's Dutch Cafe & Restaurant, featuring live jazz on certain evenings.

High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill has live music in the evenings as well.

There are many restaurants around town featuring live music, but I can't begin to name them all in one post.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
RT, how could you forget our two full-time downtown jazz clubs?

The Brown Street Club - True upscale atmosphere (think NYC) in an intimate setting.

Roper's Jazz Caverns - more casual in nature with plenty to eat and drink.
You know, I had both of those listed, believe it or not. I think I inadvertently deleted them during some cut/paste of URLs when providing all those hyperlinks. Thanks for filling in the gap.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Other music venues around town that deserve mentioning include:
I should have simply directed you to GreenvilleScene.com instead. It provides a relatively comprehensive guide for the music lovers in Greenville.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:05 PM

Didn't the Pickin' Parlor close back in March? That place was great, too!

Also not far away is Ground Zero (broken link) over in Sparkleburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area