U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 PM

857 posts, read 4,471,075 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently "retired", which sounds better than "unemployed" (we were in the construction business, and there is no work anymore) and we are looking into scaling down and moving to either Alabama or So. Carolina. He is originally from NC, I am originally from NY, and we have both been in the Atlanta area for almost 20 years. We are looking for a nice place to retire to, and a low cost of living is very important.

Here are some of my priorities...
I like a place that has a fair number of transplants so that we aren't the only "outsiders". Someplace that welcomes strangers and has activities or ways to meet new people. Hubby grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business, and he definitely doesn't want that again, but we don't want too big either.

I don't care about proximity to a large city (I never even go into Atlanta anymore) but I like a good size town with a nice "downtown" area (maybe 20,000 - 50,000 people)

Someplace pretty. I love the charming old New England towns that looked like something from a Norman Rockwell painting. I couldn't live in a run-down area.

Decent shopping. By that I mean good supermarkets, Lowes & Home Depot, Target, the type of shopping centers that would have a Barnes and Noble in them, etc.

A good rental market. I like to buy fixer-uppers and renovate them. If I can't sell them then I will have to rent them and I need a positive cash flow.

Some place where we could find a nice ranch, about 2,500 sf on 1/2 acre or more for less that $200,000. Condition isn't important as we both know how to fix just about anything. I wouldn't mind buying the worst house in the nicest neighborhood, but if the rest of the neighborhood was a mess I wouldn't want it.

Some of the areas on our list to research are Greenville, Easley, Clemson, Anderson and a few places near Charleston (so I will post this there too). We would love to hear from anyone familiar with these areas, as well as anyone who has other suggestions.

The reason I asked for feedback from people from other states is because it is easy to love your hometown where all of your childhood memories are. It is a completely different perspective moving there as a stranger in a strange land from someplace else and having to adjust to your new surroundings.
We are going to start making some trips soon and I want to use our time and gas wisely.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 PM

10,354 posts, read 20,632,869 times
Well, I haven't retired to SC from someplace else but I would check out the area around Woodruff Road/I-85. There's a shopping center there (Shops at Greenridge) that includes a Lowe's and Barnes & Noble. There is a Home Depot, Whole Foods Market, Costco, Target, and soon to be Trader Joe's in that area too. It's also a nice area with lots of homes and parks.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:49 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,966,272 times
I would think that Anderson and Easley might be on the lower end of the cost-of-living scale. Both areas are growing rapidly, but still have lots of homes on decent amounts of land, as well as plenty of "fixer-uppers". Easley is convenient to most anywhere in Greenville, while Anderson has most any "essential" you'd need, plus is convenient to Lake Hartwell. Clemson is in a scenic area, and as a college town, has attracted its fair share of retirees. It and its sister city of Seneca are probably more expensive, but also probably worth it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,859,089 times
Reading your initial post I immediatly thought of Simpsonville.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,271,547 times
$200,000 for a 1/2 acre and 2,500 sq ft?

I think you may need a time machine, stranger.

Well, you can find some like that, but you need a realtor and you might have an old house (but you two seem capable to upgrade and maintain it being in construction).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM

9,905 posts, read 11,918,964 times
Easley

Simpsonville

2 very beautiful peaceful towns .

Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM

I've never been to Easley but I see the name pop up a lot. What is it about Easley that attracts people to it? Is it charming? Are there things to do there, or do you go from there to other towns for entertainment ( not that I require much entertaining these days!)
I guess the best thing I can do is wait a week for more suggestions and then just drive up there for a day or two to look around and try to get a feel for the are.

Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM

9,905 posts, read 11,918,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I've never been to Easley but I see the name pop up a lot. What is it about Easley that attracts people to it? Is it charming? Are there things to do there, or do you go from there to other towns for entertainment ( not that I require much entertaining these days!)
I guess the best thing I can do is wait a week for more suggestions and then just drive up there for a day or two to look around and try to get a feel for the are.

Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks.
Easley is so safe , quiet , low crime , low gas prices , low car insurance , low housing prices , .

There are many shopping opportunities . We have Home Depot , Publix , Lowes , Ingles , Bi-Lo , tons of stores ( many I did not name ) and restauraunts , and even a Movie Theatre although I go to the Greenville/ Woodruff Rd. Theatre....

And if Easley does not have what you need, in Greenville they have Woodruff Road , which has TONS of BIG BOX name brand stores , anything you can think its there

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM

How about Clemson? I would guess that it would be a good area for owning rental properties (if you don't mind renting to college students). How is it for living there if you are in your 50's?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,219,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
How about Clemson? I would guess that it would be a good area for owning rental properties (if you don't mind renting to college students). How is it for living there if you are in your 50's?
Clemson has a rapidly growing retirement population. Clemson would be a good choice. Great homes on the lake and solid cultural events in town, thanks to the university. Close to Greenville for good shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area