Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,980 times

Advertisements

Hmm... I could SWEAR I'd heard about both these things quite a long time ago. Not necessarily the LOCATION, but the EXISTENCE of a cellphone lot for people awaiting incoming passengers, and I thought I read that when they added the 2 new boarding bridges at the end of A Concourse, that they had already budgeted and were moving ahead with upgrading the other boarding bridges. Once again, nice to see proof that all is apparently happening, but I could have sworn that this had already been done. I guess it's that pesky ESP messing with me again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Monthly Traffic Report. Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. May 2011-

Category: Airlines

May 2011: 951

May 2010: 395

Percentage Change: 140.8%
BTW - what on earth do these figures mean? Certainly we had more passenger boardings and/or arrivals than that in the indicated months (even on a daily basis), and no airport has that many airlines, so what do the 951 and 395 represent?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,642,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Hmm... I could SWEAR I'd heard about both these things quite a long time ago. Not necessarily the LOCATION, but the EXISTENCE of a cellphone lot for people awaiting incoming passengers, and I thought I read that when they added the 2 new boarding bridges at the end of A Concourse, that they had already budgeted and were moving ahead with upgrading the other boarding bridges. Once again, nice to see proof that all is apparently happening, but I could have sworn that this had already been done. I guess it's that pesky ESP messing with me again!
It's been in the works for a while so you probably have heard about all of these before. The airport is finally getting around to awarding construction contracts and getting everything built/installed now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
BTW - what on earth do these figures mean? Certainly we had more passenger boardings and/or arrivals than that in the indicated months (even on a daily basis), and no airport has that many airlines, so what do the 951 and 395 represent?
I was hoping you could tell me. I think it's the number of arrivals and departures. Does that seem right? It was listed as "airlines" under "aircraft operations."

Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 PM

58 page document presentation from GSP Airport on the project: http://gspairport.com/site/user/file...esentation.pdf

October 12th – Cost Estimates
November 14th – Final schematic design review with the Task Force
November 21st – Seek final approval of schematic design from full Commission
and seek approval to move in full design development and construction
documents
January 9th – Seek construction approval on the enabling projects and start
commencing enabling project construction
March 12th – Complete design development and ask for approval to move
forward with construction
October 2012 – Enabling Projects completed
October 2014 – Estimated completion of construction. This is for a 2 year
construction cycle which we will be discussing with the Commission as to
whether this is a 2-3 year construction project or a 4 year depending on cost and
amount of construction disruption.

Last edited by g-man430; 11-21-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,448,103 times
I don't like this nearly as much as a few of the prior renderings. While it looks more updated overall, it doesn't have the clean, open, mountainous feel I thought we were going for.

Pros:
Better than what we have
Feels more streamlined
One security checkpoint
Concessions after security, rather than before

Cons:
Does not seem like a design that will age well
I would prefer more space for concessions AND retail (isn't this supposed to get us through 2030?)
Exterior, check-in, and terminals appear to be almost the same

I realize that this is just a basic concept video, and I am hopefully reading way too much into things, but for the time and money involved I find this to be an underwhelming proposal.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I don't like this nearly as much as a few of the prior renderings. While it looks more updated overall, it doesn't have the clean, open, mountainous feel I thought we were going for.

Pros:
Better than what we have
Feels more streamlined
One security checkpoint
Concessions after security, rather than before

Cons:
Does not seem like a design that will age well
I would prefer more space for concessions AND retail (isn't this supposed to get us through 2030?)
Exterior, check-in, and terminals appear to be almost the same

I realize that this is just a basic concept video, and I am hopefully reading way too much into things, but for the time and money involved I find this to be an underwhelming proposal.
I agree with your assessment that the renovations, at least for now, appear to just update what was already there, but that's not really a bad thing! I was hoping for a more dramatic ticketing area and "face" for the new design, but I can definitely live with what's depicted here quite happily!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,405,072 times
Any new information pertaining to the renovation/expansion of GSP?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Not sure about the status of the redo, but GSP is still posting double-digit passenger growth, even 1 year after Southwest's entry into the market.
http://www.gspairport.com/passengerstatistics/

Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Preliminary construction bids are going out right now for the project: GSP International Airport :: Advertisements for Bids and http://www.gspairport.com/site/user/...tive_final.pdf

Some food related establishments to expect include Green Beans Coffee, Dunkin Donuts, and possibly a few MSE branded companies: http://www.msebranded.com/brands/

Last edited by g-man430; 05-13-2012 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area