U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 28,086 times

Advertisements

We live in Boiling Springs and have a medium-size lawn of Bermuda grass which has never really looked good since the house was built in 2004. We used TruGreen off and on for some years which kept the weeds at bay but the lawn has never been lush and green. We cancelled them, got the back yard completely resodded ($$) and the front cored, aerated, sanded. We've been trying to take care of it ourselves and not only is it too much work, but today I noticed big dark brown patches on the new sod and the front looks awful too! FUNGUS!!! I've been searching the internet all morning for a lawncare company for weed, disease, fungus control and fertilization but I'm just unsure. Not enough customer reviews. I'd also like to use eco-friendly, natural remedies instead of a bunch of chemicals that make the lawn chem-dependent. Am I being too hopeful? At this point though, watching the health of our new sod go downhill fast, not to mention the cost, I'm feeling desperate! Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM

30 posts, read 37,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qegma View Post
We live in Boiling Springs and have a medium-size lawn of Bermuda grass which has never really looked good since the house was built in 2004. We used TruGreen off and on for some years which kept the weeds at bay but the lawn has never been lush and green. We cancelled them, got the back yard completely resodded ($$) and the front cored, aerated, sanded. We've been trying to take care of it ourselves and not only is it too much work, but today I noticed big dark brown patches on the new sod and the front looks awful too! FUNGUS!!! I've been searching the internet all morning for a lawncare company for weed, disease, fungus control and fertilization but I'm just unsure. Not enough customer reviews. I'd also like to use eco-friendly, natural remedies instead of a bunch of chemicals that make the lawn chem-dependent. Am I being too hopeful? At this point though, watching the health of our new sod go downhill fast, not to mention the cost, I'm feeling desperate! Any recommendations?
I feel your pain!! I don't use a lawn service (yet) but recommend that you use Angie's List to find a reputable contractor.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM

97 posts, read 163,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeInSpartanburg View Post
I feel your pain!! I don't use a lawn service (yet) but recommend that you use Angie's List to find a reputable contractor.

Try TopTurf, they are really good - we have been getting ours treated by them for over a yr and many in our neighborhood have followed suit after seeing our grass...I think their site is www.topturfgreenville.com

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,038,408 times
Have you tested your pH? Pretty simple to do with a $10 kit from Lowe's. Grass usually needs lime. Those $35 a month services just through out fertilizer and weed killer from what I recall. If your pH is too low (acidic) from being a forest not so long ago, it needs lime to make it more "basic" or neutral.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 28,086 times
Default qegma

(I hope I'm doing this right! This is the first time I've used city-data.) Can ya tell I like the smilies? Anyway...
Thank you for your responses to my problem. I have checked Angie's List as well as Service Magic but was unsure. Not enough customer reviews for the companies I was considering. However, I was quite interested in Top Turf of Greenville. The reason I hesitated was because the reviews for the one in Atlanta were awful and I couldn't find any for Greenville. I was hoping to hear something good about the one in Greenville. Thank you. Also, I WILL test the ph of our soil. I'm sure it's terrible, or way off, or whatever. My husband says our soil is "crap".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area