Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 27,583 times

Advertisements

I would love some feedback on what's going on at the Summit at Pelham Springs... we were looking into buying a condo there but in doing a search it appears that 18 of the 30 are investor owned and probably rental property and the sales prices have been all over the place (from 185k to 385k.) It's hard to get a feel for the neighborhood as our time there has been very limited since it's a gated community. As someone seeking to relocate to SC, I'd sure appreciate a little insider perspective. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM

14 posts, read 55,840 times
For one thing, it's a blight on the landscape. You can see its ugliness from many viewpoints.

Also, it was built prior to the housing crisis and I would suspect that the higher for sale prices reflect an unwillingness to confront reality.

Finally, in addition to the mountains it overlooks the Publix parking lot.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzthecat View Post
Finally, in addition to the mountains it overlooks the Publix parking lot.
...and the City of Greenville. While Greenville doesn't have the skyline of Atlanta or Charlotte, the view from up there is wonderful. The units are huge and very nicely detailed. If I could afford one, I'd be up there in a heartbeat!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 AM

93 posts, read 165,943 times
did your agent or mortgagor do the search? If you're getting a loan you might not be able to regardless

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreenvilleGuy View Post
did your agent or mortgagor do the search? If you're getting a loan you might not be able to regardless
No, unfortunately, my buyers agent has been very limited on info beyond what's on the sales sheets, I found the info on the Greenville GIS tax site. I still love the security, views and lifestyle the condo's offer and the prices are much more in line with our needs than the condo's downtown.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc10 View Post
No, unfortunately, my buyers agent has been very limited on info beyond what's on the sales sheets, I found the info on the Greenville GIS tax site. I still love the security, views and lifestyle the condo's offer and the prices are much more in line with our needs than the condo's downtown.
That would be an extremely convenient location as well. It's a very central location in the city/area, and most anything you could need or want is within a decent walk (necessities like grocery stores, restaurants, etc) or a brief drive at most.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Nice views, walking distance to Publix and more. There is a lot to like. There are also some nice eateries right there near the Publix (Brick Street, Bruster's ice cream)

Of course the condos have upstairs and downstairs neighbors, so there could be noise issues from that. I am guessing the upper corners are commanding the highest price due to this (least noise).

Small planes fly fairly close to those condos on their approach to the downtown airport. It's loud and fairly scary if you're not expecting it. Of course, whether this matters to you is a personal preference.

Also, the apartments across from these have been known to be a crime "hot spot" due to low rental prices and aging buildings which cannot command higher rental fees. You are somewhat insulated from that with the gate, but beyond the gates, you may have some issues, especially at night. A woman was murdered there a few years back and some other sordid things have happened. I have advised friends to avoid that particular stretch of apartments for their own safety, despite the low, low rental prices. A young woman was shot to death in the bi-lo grocery near there not so long ago. You could make an argument that it is still a fairly low to medium crime area, but there are even lower crime areas within the Greenville Metro area.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Nice views, walking distance to Publix and more. There is a lot to like. There are also some nice eateries right there near the Publix (Brick Street, Bruster's ice cream)

Of course the condos have upstairs and downstairs neighbors, so there could be noise issues from that. I am guessing the upper corners are commanding the highest price due to this (least noise).

Small planes fly fairly close to those condos on their approach to the downtown airport. It's loud and fairly scary if you're not expecting it. Of course, whether this matters to you is a personal preference.

Also, the apartments across from these have been known to be a crime "hot spot" due to low rental prices and aging buildings which cannot command higher rental fees. You are somewhat insulated from that with the gate, but beyond the gates, you may have some issues, especially at night. A woman was murdered there a few years back and some other sordid things have happened. I have advised friends to avoid that particular stretch of apartments for their own safety, despite the low, low rental prices. A young woman was shot to death in the bi-lo grocery near there not so long ago. You could make an argument that it is still a fairly low to medium crime area, but there are even lower crime areas within the Greenville Metro area.
I can't thank you enough for the info.... with safety being one of the biggest reasons I loved the condos, knowing about those apartments is a huge factor for me. Your post was very, very helpful. Is there any place you might recommend that would have nice views, safe area and priced in the low to mid 200's. My buyers agent is really great about sending links to homes but she isn't any help with details and unfortunately, I've signed a contract and must work within those parameters

Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Hmm, I thought of one place and it is apartments only, no condos. I also thought of another place but it's way out of your price range. Sorry, I'll leave this to your real estate agent. I might try a search for you on realtor.com...

i like the location of this one:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...615_1119458111

It's also near "Pelham Road" but much farther away from the crime hot spot.

Also, this search turned up a few more in the same area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...me-co-op?sby=2

The views from your living room may not be awe inspiring, but you can get in the car and drive 20 minutes and get a great view.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Hobo7396; 07-20-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area