U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,061 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to South Carolina and would like to live on a lake within an easy commute to the Carolina Country Club. Is Lake Bowen the best option for this? I need a good middle school/high school also. I will consider private school if necessary but would rather spend the money on housing if the schools are good. Is it possible to find a rental on Lake Bowen? I would like to check it out before I buy. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM

112 posts, read 223,375 times
Great question. We too would like to find a home on one of the nearby lakes that’s in close proximity to GV and SP but in a child friendly neighborhood with sidewalks and a club house but so far no lucky... I've given up on the public school system on account of the political correctness they have to teach and adhere to so only private schools will do for my two but back to the lakes, at this point I don’t know if it exists. The first week of August I’m spending a week with a realtor seeing all that the area has to offer us, I’ll report back if I find Shangri-La. Carolina Country Club is on our list but not sure we want the hole golf style living. We'll see. We may have to rent until we can decide.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM

748 posts, read 1,760,668 times
You'll probably want to check out Woodfin Ridge. It's a golf course community on Lake Bowen--kind of like the Inman/Boiling Springs version of Carolina County Club. I've got several friends who live in there and really like it. Not sure if it is in school district one or two.

There are going to be other subdivisions around the county that have there own smaller self-contained lakes within them--I'm thinking of places like Twin Lakes in Moore, Woodlake on the westside, Lake Emory in Inman (nice newer homes).

The other larger lakes in Spartanburg for boating/fishing that are somewhat similar to Bowen are Lakes Blalock and Cooley. Not sure about housing options on either. There are other housing options on Bowen other than Woodfin Ridge as well--that just sounds like some place you might be interested in.

Last edited by innovator82; 07-19-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 AM

93 posts, read 135,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystaVeronica View Post
I am relocating to South Carolina and would like to live on a lake within an easy commute to the Carolina Country Club. Is Lake Bowen the best option for this? I need a good middle school/high school also. I will consider private school if necessary but would rather spend the money on housing if the schools are good. Is it possible to find a rental on Lake Bowen? I would like to check it out before I buy. Thank you for your help!
might be tough. Are you only looking for rentals or are you willing to buy? if buying what is your price Range. That might make a difference in what you're looking for?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 AM

93 posts, read 135,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4au View Post
Great question. We too would like to find a home on one of the nearby lakes thatís in close proximity to GV and SP but in a child friendly neighborhood with sidewalks and a club house but so far no lucky... I've given up on the public school system on account of the political correctness they have to teach and adhere to so only private schools will do for my two but back to the lakes, at this point I donít know if it exists. The first week of August Iím spending a week with a realtor seeing all that the area has to offer us, Iíll report back if I find Shangri-La. Carolina Country Club is on our list but not sure we want the hole golf style living. We'll see. We may have to rent until we can decide.
Same questions, what's your price range? I too was thinking of a couple of areas but it will depend on how much you want to spend.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM

112 posts, read 223,375 times
$350,000 - $450,000 range

Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

302 posts, read 661,559 times
I have plenty of friends who live in the Carolina Country Club and they also have lake houses on Lake Bowen... so I'm sure it isn't a terrible commute. Though the CCC is in the middle of everywhere.

One of my friends complains about how it takes her 20 minutes to get anywhere. (20 minutes to the westside, 20 minutes to the eastside) I'm not sure how far BS is from CCC.

But for schools... Boiling Springs is supposedly a good district, but it has been growing extremely rapidly. It probably depends on the age of your kids as to whether or not it is a good fit. I'd tend to think that the elementary schools are much better than BSH. But since you're looking for middle/high schools... It really depends on what your definition of adequate is. And I would say that a LOT of schools are taking HUGE cuts due to the state budget, so what might be available currently, might not be available in the next couple of years. I know of a lot of students all over the state complaining about how AP classes, art classes, clubs, upper level Spanish classes, and other things are getting cut. I'm not really sure what the situation is in Spartanburg, though. I'd imagine Spa County is getting hit just as badly.

For schools... I probably wouldn't recommend the lake in Chesnee. But again, it is what you define as a good school. Everyone has different needs and wants.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,061 times
I am thinking in the $300,000's. I can buy but I think I would prefer to rent first to see if I really like it. I am coming from Southern California and am in for a big culture shock. I live near San Diego and am used to city living, but I really think I will prefer lake living. But I won't know until I try it.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM

3,230 posts, read 4,512,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystaVeronica View Post
I am thinking in the $300,000's. I can buy but I think I would prefer to rent first to see if I really like it. I am coming from Southern California and am in for a big culture shock. I live near San Diego and am used to city living, but I really think I will prefer lake living. But I won't know until I try it.
Very good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area