U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM

46 posts, read 113,903 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to move from Florida for a few years, and I am determined that this is our year! We have narrowed our search to four areas. Greenville, York County, Union County, NC, and Mooresville, NC. We would like to stay around 500k., Good public middle school and high school are the top priority. After that, newer home with a basement,3000-4000 square feet, 4 Bdr, family oriented neighborhood , with a golf/country club for social purposes, and ideally, at least .5 acres. Close to shopping mall would be nice, although that is not nearly as important as the school. We will be in Greenville next week and want to drive the area. Suggestions? Most interested in the school situation. Yes, I am reading old posts, but just had to ask for myself....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM

548 posts, read 1,710,526 times
500K buys a lot in Greenville. Eastside in my opinion regarding schools. Particularly in the Riverside High, Riverside Middle and Brushy Creek or Buena Vista Elementary areas. Eastside is close to all shopping. Basements are hard to come by but not impossible. Golf club your looking at 1M or far away as in Pebble Creek. If school is most important forgo the golf.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 PM

177 posts, read 565,334 times
When we were looking for an Eastside home, every basement had a musty damp smell. Also in the 9 years we have been in the area, several of my coworkers with basements had them flooded.
Now these were $200K homes not $500K homes but I would suggest checking out a basement very carefully. BTW, it is too cold here for DW, we plan to move to Florida next year.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,044,564 times
realtor.com is more effective for your search. research the schools on the greenville county schools website. They have their own school report cards which are very insightful.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM

511 posts, read 1,255,043 times
Default homes

You should not have any problem. Realtor.com is good, you may also want to check out journalhomes.com. You can get a lot of good info from either site. 500k will buy a lot of house here!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,194,723 times
...Anything you could want! Unless you're looking for a mountaintop retreat or acreage.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM

909 posts, read 2,022,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
...Anything you could want! Unless you're looking for a mountaintop retreat or acreage.
Well, not anything, but...

Overall, $500,000 will give you a great selection of communities in the Eastside and Simpsonville areas. The eastside (Pelham Rd area) is more established, while the Simpsonville area has seen tremendous growth in the past 5-10 years.

It is important to realize that only about 9% of single-family homes sold in 2009 had a basement. They are not easy to come by, but they are out there.

Check out GreatSchools.org if you haven't already, in combination with the Greenville County School District website.

Realtor.com will likely give you the most comprehensive home search, and JournalHomes.com can be great for information on subdivisions. The home search on JournalHomes.com is good too, but is restricted to homes listed by advertisers in the Greenville Journal.

Based on $450,000-$550,000, minimum 4BR, 3,000-4,000sf, minimum 1/2 acre; there are 61 homes currently listed in the Greater Greenville MLS. 20 of those homes have a basement.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,724,591 times
Looking at your criteria I found 6 properties in which you may be interested on the Greater Greenville MLS. Send me a PM and I will send you the listings to see.
They are listed from $425,000 - $499,999.
The all have basements.
.6 - 7 acres
Several different schools are represented in the listings.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 AM

216 posts, read 310,746 times
Don't just consider the east side of the city. If everyone moves to the newly-created "East side", there are going to be two separate and distinct Greenvilles - one for the wealthy newcomers and one for the less wealthy natives. Even the middle class natives aren't as wealthy as the newcomers. There are some nice homes in safe neighborhoods on the so-called west side of Greenville. As I have reminded some of the transplants in the past, up until maybe 10-12 years ago there was no "East side", like today, because it was mostly all woods.

But, at any rate, if you just want to be around other transplants, while shunning the very people who made it possible for the "East side" to be built up and developed, and who created the famed "family-friendly" environment that so many newcomers relish so much, then by all means stick to the "East side".

Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

46 posts, read 113,903 times
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. DH and I spent a few days last week just driving around getting a feel for the neighborhoods and also looked at a couple of schools. We really liked the "feel" of the downtown, spending one night there looking around. What a beautiful downtown you have there! When the time comes for our move (hopefully sooner rather than later) we are going to get more serious about the home search. Also, I now think maybe a basement, while it would be nice isn't a huge consideration. We definitely would have much more to choose from! Thanks again, everyone for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area