Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:23 AM

26 posts, read 201,144 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I have found some wonderful resources on the internet about things to do in Greenville.

What I want to know is...in your opinion what are 10 things that every new resident should do? What should we check out?

We will be moving the end of July/ first of August...

thanks everyone

Katy and Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,791 times
I'm not going to prepare this, let's see what comes up with a quick answer.

1. Main St.
2. Reedy Falls Park
3. Drive up through Travelers Rest and out to Caesar's Head and Table Rock
4. Boating on Jocasse and Keowee
5. Weekend in Charleston
6. Friday night at Greenville/Pickens Speedway!
7. Early morning walk at Furman
8. Canoe on Lake Robinson
9. Burgers and a Shake at North Main Soda Shop
10. Drive to Highlands,NC for day of window shopping.

Interesting, as I typed the list (tried to do it as fast as possible), I realized most of what popped into my head was actually going to surrounding towns. That doesn't mean Greenville lacks anything, just means there is some cool stuff around us.

I'm sure you'll get better lists that include more restaurants, etc. We're not restaurant people.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
1. Take in a dinner and play at "Cafe and Then Some"
2. Sun and play on the rocks around Reedy River Falls.
3. Go to a Drive game at West End Field.
4. Have evening cocktails in the lobby bar of the Westin Poinsett then do dinner at Restaurant O, followed by late night jazz at Brown Street.
5. Spend a morning on the greenway trail....explore all the different paths through all the parks.
6. Have lunch at Northgate Soda Shop or Tanners Big Orange.
7. Take an afternoon drive up to Caeser's Head.
8. Have a theater evening at any of the downtown professional theaters: Warehouse Theater, Little Theater, Centre Stage Theater.
9. Attend the US Pro Cycling Championship (the Superbowl of cycling) on Labor Day Weekend in downtown Greenville.
10. Shop and eat your way down Main Street and through West End.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Oh boy, a really fun post to make! Now how do choose only ten out of so many fantastic options? I'll stick with the free or affordable attractions and events, so that everyone is included.
  1. Stroll up and down Main Street, stopping into various shops and galleries. Mast General Store in particular would be a great place to check out.
  2. Stroll through Falls Park on the Reedy, over the internationally-acclaimed Liberty Bridge, and along the RiverPlace Riverwalk.
  3. Visit West End Field during a Friday night Greenville Drive home game and stay for the fireworks afterward.
  4. Moonlight Movies at the Dow Amphitheatre (Peace Center for the Performing Arts) and/or Shakespeare in the Park at the Carolina First Amphitheatre in Falls Park
  5. A Broadway show or Greenville Symphony Orchestra concert in Peace Concert Hall (Peace Center for the Performing Arts)
  6. Any of the many annual outdoor cultural festivals downtown
  7. Visit the BJU Museum & Gallery on a Sunday afternoon (free)
  8. Drive or stroll around Furman University and its beautiful lake.
  9. Drive over Paris Mountain on Altamont Road (Breathtaking!)
  10. Drive to Ceasar's head State Park overlook and then hike to the Raven Cliff Falls (not too strenuous or long, but definitely gorgeous!).

Old 06-23-2007, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 201,144 times
Awsome list so far... we are so excited to move there!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 AM

63 posts, read 431,620 times
Default 10 from a Long Islander

Take in a Greenville Drive Game
Take in a Clemson Football Game
Go Karts, Batting Cages and Games at Franky's Fun Park
Reedy River
Golfing at Bonnie Brae or Crosswinds Par 3 Course
Concert or Hockey at the Bi Lo Center
Live Music at The Handelbar
Beer and a Pulled Pork Sandwich at Blue Ridge Brewing Company
Main Street Jazz on Friday Nights
Mast General Store on Main Street

Geez...that 10 went quick and I don't even live in Greenville (yet!!!!)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
1) Hamburger/half and half/ and sweet tea at the Clock, corner of 291 and Wade Hampton
2) Freedom Weekend Aloft
3) BBQ at Little Pigs on 291 across from Bob Jones in lake Forest Shopping Center
4) Hiking Raven Clift Falls
5) Sliding Rock at Pisgah Forest
6) Biltmore Estate
7) Reedy River Duck Derby
8) Fall For Greenville, A Taste of Our Town
9) Go to a Greenville Braves Game
10) Go to the 4th of July celebration at the Greenville Braves Stadium

Liz

Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Greenville Braves??? They've been gone for three years now. We have a much better team in town now, with an incredibly nice ballpark in the West End. The field is a mini-replica of Boston's Fenway Park, complete with the "Green Monster" in left field and the "Pesky Pole" in right field. The new ballpark, called West End Field, won the "2006 Ballpark of the Year" from baseballparks.com. It is definitely a top 10 "must do" in Greenville.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:00 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Well, it HAS been 11 years since I have lived there but the rest of the list is valid. Liz

Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
And I work for the Greenville Drive too. Also, last time I checked Biltmore Estate was NOT in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area