Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,981 times

Advertisements

My family wants to relocate to SC from RI, my wife works in the medical field and is applying at Greenville hospital. We are looking to sell our house and get away from the long in between seasons of new england and slow things down. And not to mention the cost of living in RI. We have a son starting kindergarten so the school dept. is taking into consideration. We love hiking, xc skiing, outdoor activities. Upon reading posts here and other research its seems like an overload of information regarding the counties. I was looking a Simpsonville, Pickens county, travelers rest and also open to suggestions. I have never been to SC so I only have google maps and the websites to go by. We plan to get some information and check out the area very soon, just want to have places of consideration in mind. The towns looked nice but don't really know the pro's and cons for my situation. We don't want to live in the city but have a house with atleast 1/2 acre 3+ br 2+ ba for around 100-150k in a quiet neighborhood. We dont mind traveling a 1/2 hour 45 minutes to Greenville. Trying to stay away from the "cookie cutter" spots. Also a community playground & pool for my son would be nice. Looking for a place to raise a family. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Just based on a quick scan of your criteria, I'd suggest Travelers Rest. It's very close to the mountains and 10-15 mins to shopping, restaurants, movies, etc in Greenville, plus is getting more necessities of its own. Plus, TR is on one end of the Swamp Rabbit (cycling/walking/running) Trail that leads into downtown Greenville. Simpsonville is very nice too with more of its own necessities & shopping, but not as close to the mountains and tends more toward the "cookie cutter" style. Easley in Pickens County is growing, and kind of splits the difference in proximity to mountains (that is, most outdoor activities) and charm. GHS (Greenville Hosp. System) has satellite campuses in TR and Simpsonville, and Baptist Easley is in Easley.

Others can chime in with more info on residential properties, but the type you're looking for should be plentiful in/just outside of all these areas. Oh, by the way.... Welcome, and best of luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
I don't think you'll find much XC skiing in the southeast. There might be some in western NC, but natural snowfall is pretty rare. Upstate SC is great for outdoor activities, with a number of parks along Hwy. 11, which runs along the base of the Blue Ridge mountains. This is waterfall country, with many falls all over the upstate. There is an extensive trail system in and near the mountains, with everything from easy 2 mile day hikes to strenuous multi-day trips. If you're into any type of boating or swimming, there are three large lakes about 45 min. or so from Greenville- Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee, as well as a few smaller lakes in close, such as Robinson, near Travelers Rest.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
try searching with realtor.com. You will find some houses in that price range, but they likely won't be recent construction and might be in less desirable parts of town. TR is known for crummy schools. The best elementary schools and schools in general are on the east side of town (or downtown, which you said you don't want).

Simpsonville has the most transplants from the Northeast and has some quiet neighborhoods. You will find a lot there and it is a 20-35 min commute to the main parts of Greenville. So, if you wanna drive and make the world a "warmer place", then Simpsonville should work. It seems people want "new" when they move to town, too. There is a lot of that in Simpsonville. Plus, the neighborhoods over there have a lot of pools. You say "cookie cutter" and I guess you mean you don't want all the homes to look the same. Not sure, but you will probably find what you want even in Simpsonville, where there is some of that.

Try looking for keywords "eastside" or "simpsonville" or "mauldin". Mauldin is also a popular place for couples with kids and the schools are pretty good.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,172 times
I did a search for you using your criteria and Simpsonville which is my home town. I found 8 homes but only 2 I would recommend. The 1/2 acre lot is hard to find.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM

207 posts, read 555,955 times
If schools are a concern for you, then greatschools.org is a good resource. Also, journalhomes.com allows you to fill in your criteria and gives you neighborhoods that meet your needs. This website will also tell you what schools are assigned to certain neighborhoods.

good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM

I want to thank everybody for your advice, this forum has been a tremendous place for information.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

22 posts, read 44,536 times
Once again, depends on your criteria. We live in Greer and the middle school and high school is one of the best in the state. And we don't even have any kids at home. It's also filled with transients and subdivisions.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM

I will be visiting the Greenville area next week. With what being said in the first post, I am looking for some places of interest to check out. I wanted to get a feel for the area before I sold my home in RI. I was thinking of living outside of the city, not sure what town yet. I have 2 days to explore and just looking for some advice.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,172 times
If you get into Simpsonville, check out Heritage Park, our local ampitheater and ball park complex.
If it is not too hot while you are here drive up above Travelers Rest to Table Rock State Park. Swimming and hiking there. You will need to bring food and beverage. There is not a lot of concessions there. Of course you have to go Downtown Greenville and walk through the park there.
Good luck while you are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area