U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (lives vicariously on a beach south of 30-A)
1,672 posts, read 3,198,941 times

Advertisements

Does anyone feel that the "Native" car stickers are somewhat offensive? I have lived in Greenville for over 2 years and consider this area my home now - I suppose only my children are allowed this sticker since they were born here. Perhaps there should be a "Non-Native" sticker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,173,376 times
Are you talking about the palmetto/crescent moon stickers? I've had one on every vehicle I've owned since moving here 10 years ago. I see it as more of a "S. Carolina pride" symbol.

Now, I believe there are some versions with the word "Native" added, but I don't begrudge anyone that.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (lives vicariously on a beach south of 30-A)
1,672 posts, read 3,198,941 times
Nope - just the bumper stickers that have the word "Native" - I feel it's a little unwelcome for those "Non-Natives" - I actually like the Palmetto/Crescent Moon stickers

Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM

5,063 posts, read 5,659,882 times
There is still a lot of anti-northern-ism here in SC. I've lived here for over 6 years now and very much consider it my home.

My only concern about non-natives moving here is that if they do, they need to blend into the culture of SC and help to carry on some of the good traditions that the south is known for, like hospitality, food, family, etc...

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,720,538 times
I for one have a "Native" decal on my vehicle. I am just proud to have been born and raised here. Chances are most people that have them are the same way. If you have a question about something in the area ask someone with a "Native" decal. Most will be glad to help.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,540 times
I wasn't born in SC. The Native stickers don't bother me a bit. And I hate about 90% of the tacky, stupid, silly things people put on the cars, lol!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM

748 posts, read 1,761,914 times
I think the Native stickers are kinda dumb...but I also think the Palmetto/Moon made to look like a martini glass or the scales of justice on people's cars is dumb too.

I still remember (and it wasn't that long ago) when NOT every car on the road had some variation of the Palmetto/Moon...and if you wanted to show state pride, you actually had to go out and find an SC State Flag sticker to slap on your window.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM

4,414 posts, read 2,950,075 times
The "Native" sticker thing is a copy of the Colorado version that's been around for years.

I had the Palmetto Flag tags or stickers on several cars for years. However, they have been recently retired as every minivan driver that makes a trip to Myrtle Beach now slaps some different colored version on their back window. It went from being a SC pride thing to an obnoxious display of "look where I went on vacation," so I took them off. Kind of sad really...

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,173,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The "Native" sticker thing is a copy of the Colorado version that's been around for years.

I had the Palmetto Flag tags or stickers on several cars for years. However, they have been recently retired as every minivan driver that makes a trip to Myrtle Beach now slaps some different colored version on their back window. It went from being a SC pride thing to an obnoxious display of "look where I went on vacation," so I took them off. Kind of sad really...
Eh, that doesn't deter me - makes my plain white understated one look better by comparison!

Similar things have happened with the oval "Euro" stickers. We used to have a "D" one (what German cars have on them in Europe) years ago when we had a German car, but those have been so bastardized it's ridiculous.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,038,788 times
For every native sticker, there is some non-native who trashed the state and it's people within earshot.

Examples:

"the people around here don't know how to drive!" "OMG, I know, right!"
"You're the only guy in the office who is actually from here. The rest work out in the factory."
"The only businesses in SC are redneck and can't do a quality job."
"People from here can't drive in the snow." (when it is actually our lack of investment in snow plows and salt trucks)

Some natives are too easily offended, but natives are used to being trashed. Saying they are native contradicts that and says they are proud despite all the negativity. I think it's good to live where you were born. It shows some loyalty and persistence.

I like the state flag more than the native sticker. You don't have to be a native to have it on the car, and I like to show where I am from and where I live. It's in answer to all the UK, Mexico, Canada and international flags you see. SC has some things to be proud of, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area