U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM

8,471 posts, read 10,219,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
My daughter got breakfast-for-dinner everytime we went to Cracker Barrel the entire first 2 years we were living here. I'm glad she finally switched over to dinner for dinner.
I did that Breakfast for Lunch too ! I had a huge menu but I wanted that BlueBerry French Toast sooo much ! ( it was 11:30 am on a Sunday, Busy ! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM

951 posts, read 1,405,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippin View Post
Hands down...Grits and Groceries. Be sure to try the praline bacon.

It is a little bit of a drive but completely worth it.

Grits and Groceries - Belton, South Carolina
Went there on Sat. morning - fried grits w/tomato gravy is excellent!
Be prepared to wait a bit but it is worth it. They do not accept credit or debit cards so bring your cash or check!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM

5,072 posts, read 7,100,577 times
From http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_18114950/:

French Toast. What do you expect when you dip bread in an egg-and-milk mixture and fry it in shortening? Even without the butter (which most of the French toast we ordered came with) or margarine on top, it's got about 5() percent more fat and saturated fat than unadorned pancakes, and nearly three times the cholesterol. Add the butter or margarine and the fat equals what you'd get in three Dunkin' Donuts Boston Kreme Donuts.

Typical Platter: Three slices of French toast with butter or margarine and syrup, plus four strips of bacon or sausage links. At Denny's it's two strips or links. Eat the four-link breakfast and you'll waddle out of the restaurant 1,300 calories heavier. and with room for no more saturated fat until lunch tomorrow. This breakfast makes two Dairy Queen Banana Splits look like diet food.

That breakfast in the OP of this thread is well over half my calories for the day, my fat intake for at least two days, and I'm an active 6 foot tall man. Just sayin'...

South Carolina obesity rate now fifth in U.S.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,208,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

French Toast. What do you expect when you dip bread in an egg-and-milk mixture and fry it in shortening? Even without the butter (which most of the French toast we ordered came with) or margarine on top, it's got about 5() percent more fat and saturated fat than unadorned pancakes, and nearly three times the cholesterol. Add the butter or margarine and the fat equals what you'd get in three Dunkin' Donuts Boston Kreme Donuts.

Typical Platter: Three slices of French toast with butter or margarine and syrup, plus four strips of bacon or sausage links. At Denny's it's two strips or links. Eat the four-link breakfast and you'll waddle out of the restaurant 1,300 calories heavier. and with room for no more saturated fat until lunch tomorrow. This breakfast makes two Dairy Queen Banana Splits look like diet food.

That breakfast in the OP of this thread is well over half my calories for the day, my fat intake for at least two days, and I'm an active 6 foot tall man. Just sayin'...

Ah, let 'em enjoy a great breakfast! Most folks who do eat these kinds of breakfasts are doing it VERY rarely these days, as opposed to the way most of us grew up! Once in a while won't do much damage. However, I've recently grown fond of scrambled egg substitute (Egg Beaters, etc) and veggie sausage links with whole wheat toast at home. Surprisingly tasty and better for you!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM

8,471 posts, read 10,219,494 times
Quote:

Art , I rarely eat breakfast, at least out . My friend treated . If I do breakfast at home its usually cereal

Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Art , I rarely eat breakfast, at least out . My friend treated . If I do breakfast at home its usually cereal
That's cool. I just thought I'd note that the french toast is probably the worst thing, health-wise, on an already horrible menu there at the Cracker Barrel. And by judging by the look of the folks in line at Cracker Barrel on Sundays (when I am headed to Whole Foods), there are quite a few regulars that eat this stuff on a regular basis.

I'm amazed that people let their children eat this crap. Would you let them have two cheeseburgers for breakfast or dinner? Two large banana splits? The french toast is 1300 empty calories full of sugar, not to mention being a cholesterol bomb.

BTW, most cereals are also crap. Just sugar-carriers devoid of any actual food. There are a few good ones, but they are probably not even available at regular grocery stores.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,208,675 times
Quote:
That's cool. I just thought I'd note that the french toast is probably the worst thing, health-wise, on an already horrible menu there at the Cracker Barrel. And by judging by the look of the folks in line at Cracker Barrel on Sundays (when I am headed to Whole Foods), there are quite a few regulars that eat this stuff on a regular basis.

I'm amazed that people let their children eat this crap. Would you let them have two cheeseburgers for breakfast or dinner? Two large banana splits? The french toast is 1300 empty calories full of sugar, not to mention being a cholesterol bomb.

BTW, most cereals are also crap. Just sugar-carriers devoid of any actual food. There are a few good ones, but they are probably not even available at regular grocery stores.
C'mon Art, lighten up..... I find most folks are trying to eat healthier these days. Myself, I take it in increments. I WON'T deny myself the things I love, but I just enjoy them less frequently. Heck, the last time I went to the doctor, I'd lost 15 lbs!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM

972 posts, read 1,555,980 times
Art123, please don't be one of those food nazi's. I like Cracker Barrel and eat there quite often. I love their chicken and dumplings. The french toast is good too. I consider myself to be in very good shape. I eat what I want and where I want, in moderation. It looks like you must eat crap yourself. You can't be having much fun. Come on. Why don't you live a little and go on down to the Cracker Barrel and fill up on a couple of pieces of french toast, a couple of eggs and a couple of pieces of crispy bacon? Have a little fun. Besides, you may live a few months more than I. But, I bet you I will be die happier, not having deprived myself of the finer things in life. Gosh, I just made myself hungry. Cracker Barrel, here I come! There is nothing like a good breakfast meal for dinner. It soothes the soul!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,048,677 times
Long ago, I ran a 5K race at Furman. I was nervous that I would come in dead last. I showed up and I saw an overweight runner wearing a "Cracker Barrel" baseball hat.

At that point, I knew.... I would not be last.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Art123, please don't be one of those food nazi's. I like Cracker Barrel and eat there quite often. I love their chicken and dumplings. The french toast is good too. I consider myself to be in very good shape. I eat what I want and where I want, in moderation. It looks like you must eat crap yourself. You can't be having much fun. Come on. Why don't you live a little and go on down to the Cracker Barrel and fill up on a couple of pieces of french toast, a couple of eggs and a couple of pieces of crispy bacon? Have a little fun. Besides, you may live a few months more than I. But, I bet you I will be die happier, not having deprived myself of the finer things in life. Gosh, I just made myself hungry. Cracker Barrel, here I come! There is nothing like a good breakfast meal for dinner. It soothes the soul!
Haha. You're funny. I sincerely hope that your post is supposed to be dripping with sarcasm and that your idea of "the finer things in life," "living a little," and "having fun" is not a meal at the Cracker Barrel! If you were being sincere, I don't really have to think too hard about who is living life larger between the two of us.

Also, you don't eat better to live longer, you eat better to live better. The food I eat is tastier than anything you can find at the Cracker Barrel, and, yes, includes a healthy amount of hormone and anti-biotic free bacon. I'm in better shape now than I was ten years ago - easily. And I owe that largely to eating well. Eating better makes you feel better which makes you want to do more active things. You can't eat at the Cracker Barrel often and have good things going on in your body. Sorry. I know you'd like to think that you can, but you can't. You have antibiotics and hormones running through you and your kids if they eat there. Hormones that make them reach puberty early and you a slave to hormonal mood swings. Not to mention sugar-related mood swings, and contributing to more anti-biotic-resistant bacteria out there in the world. How does it feel to be part of a giant science experiment inflicted on the American people?
Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change? - About the Issues

FWIW, for dinner a few nights ago, I made delicious savory waffles. Yes, waffles for dinner. Whole grain with fresh herbs from our own garden, fresh peas, chicken, gravy and a growler of microbrew (thanks Community Tap)! Yummy, yum, yum. Talk about soothing the soul! Beer and waffles, it's what's for dinner...at my house last weekend. So maybe that's my suggestion for this thread, the best breakfast in town is at my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area