Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM

170 posts, read 878,049 times

Advertisements

Living in Florida and thinking of Greenville area. Can you please tell me what made you choose the town you live in and the pros & cons of the general area. How long have you been there and do you like. Seems like a very nice laid back beautiful area.

Thanks for any info.
Fallgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:27 AM

63 posts, read 431,543 times
My parents moved from Massapequa Pk to Simpsonville 8 years ago and have loved it ever since. I've visted alot and maybe moving their myself, it's a great place.

They will tell you they miss NY Pizza/Bagels and being 20 minutes from the Ocean but those are small prices to pay for the quality of life improvement.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
The owner of the street vendor called, 'Dogs On Wheels' is from Long Island. You can find him on Main Street most days of the week. He has a cart at the corner of Main and McBee, and one in the West End. His name is Chris Vicino and his dogs are awesome.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Ahh the New York food !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
My parents moved from Massapequa Pk to Simpsonville 8 years ago and have loved it ever since. I've visted alot and maybe moving their myself, it's a great place.

They will tell you they miss NY Pizza/Bagels and being 20 minutes from the Ocean but those are small prices to pay for the quality of life improvement.

I guess no matter what state you come from there is always something that you cannot get in another state. It will give me a reason to go back and visit. Glad your parents like it there.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Talking Thanks for answering as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The owner of the street vendor called, 'Dogs On Wheels' is from Long Island. You can find him on Main Street most days of the week. He has a cart at the corner of Main and McBee, and one in the West End. His name is Chris Vicino and his dogs are awesome.
Thanks Skyliner - I should just e-mail you directly with all of my questions ! You seem to be the Travelers Rest / Greenville Maven. The next time I visit Greenville I will check him out. I am planning to make another visit in August to compare the hotest part of the summer to the wicked Florida temps in August. It is always good to know that there are a few people that are from the same place that you came from no matter where that is. We are really thinking more and more about the Greenville area. After a visit to Long Island last week and looking at houses up there I don't think I can justify the cost for what you get and taxes of a minimum of 6500-. I am only paying 2200- in Florida because I bought my home over 8 years ago. Also I understand that insurance companies are pulling out of LI and making it more difficult to get ho insurance just like Florida. So off to the upstate to look again.

Thanks again,
Fallgirl

Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
where in Fl are you moving from?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Smile Aren't you from Long Island????

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
where in Fl are you moving from?
Port Orange - it is about 15 minutes south of Daytona Beach. It is a very nice, clean family oriented town. They have a very strict police department and very tight code enforcement. Some people don't like it but it really is a good thing because it keeps the town clean and your property values up (ha, ha not in this real estate market). I just really miss the change of seasons and don't want to deal with the hurricane threat and rising insurance rates.

If you want info on PO I will be happy to tell you as much as I know.

Fallgirl

Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM

63 posts, read 431,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
I guess no matter what state you come from there is always something that you cannot get in another state. It will give me a reason to go back and visit. Glad your parents like it there.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
I totally agree, it is definetly a reason to go back and visit but if you want the things you miss you find a way to get them. One time I flew down to my parents in Simpsonville with some fresh bagels from NY in a Tupperwear container. Well the cabins air pressure caused the top of the lid to pop open and soon the plain smelled like warm hot bagels! It was funny, it made everyone hungry. My point is you can always find a way to get a NY bagel but living somewhere where the quaility of life is better is what's its all about. I hope to move to Greenville or Charlotte in 08'. What part of Long Island are you from?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Funny story, I can relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
I totally agree, it is definetly a reason to go back and visit but if you want the things you miss you find a way to get them. One time I flew down to my parents in Simpsonville with some fresh bagels from NY in a Tupperwear container. Well the cabins air pressure caused the top of the lid to pop open and soon the plain smelled like warm hot bagels! It was funny, it made everyone hungry. My point is you can always find a way to get a NY bagel but living somewhere where the quaility of life is better is what's its all about. I hope to move to Greenville or Charlotte in 08'. What part of Long Island are you from?
Dr. I too have many funny food smuggling stories. I am originally from Baldwin but lived at one time in Hauppauge and back in Baldwin again. Two different people that I work with told me about the Greenville area and it intrigues me. Of course I am checking out other areas including LI because I don't want to make the same mistake I made moving to Florida. Yes, it is all about the quality of life and I don't think I can have that on LI any longer. In my head I think I can but when I start crunching the $$$ I know I will be working myself to death just to keep my head above water. I had actually looked at properties in Wading River when I was there last week. Talk about sticker shock. $379k for about a 1300 sq ft ranch built in the 60's with taxes of 6100-. By LI standards actually not a bad house but looking at it in a realistic point of view totally insane. No offense to anyone but I would rather be in Greenville than Charlotte because I don't want to have to deal with the race car fans. I have had enough of that in Florida. I live about 15 minutes south of Daytona Beach in Port Orange which is a very nice town. Just tired of the heat and no change of season.

Fallgirl

Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
The more you describe what you are looking for, the more I am resolved in my feeling that Greenville is the place for you. Here you will be able to relax and enjoy life all year without most of the headaches you mentioned. You can do so many fun and free outdoor activities when living here, plus the shopping and dining options are not lacking in quality at all. If high quality of life is your goal, you are aiming in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area