U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 15,314 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I recently got a good job offer in Greenville and might be preparing to move there from NYC. I have lived in NYC for the last 8 yrs and love it here so I'm really stressed about moving away.

Having been to Greenville just once, for the interview, I was not able to get a good feel for the place and am really nervous that I won't like it in Greenville.

Has anyone else here moved to SC from NYC?....or can anyone offer a realistic picture of what it's like living there?

I'm a single 29yr old female and very used to my lifestyle in New York. Am just looking to get a better picture of what I might be getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,179,684 times
It really depends on what you're looking for/your priorities. Greenville is a very nice city/area, but a world different from NYC. Not so much the North vs South thing, but this is a much more suburban & car-oriented area overall.

We do have a transit system, but don't expect a bus on each route every 20 min! There is a good bit of urban (downtown) living, and downtown is something of a showplace with upscale restaurants, shops, arts venues & other things to do, but you'll probably need a car to do any serious grocery or retail shopping.

We have a respectable arts scene here (visual & performing), and there are sizable Hispanic, Indian & other Asian communities in the area. There are also MANY transplants from the Northeast & other regions here. In fact, there's about a 50/50 chance that you won't hear a Southern accent at all if you go to a grocery store, etc.

Let us know any specific questions - there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this board who can answer them!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM

126 posts, read 331,825 times
Where else have you lived besides NYC (so Greenville can be compared) and what lifestyle have you had that you are afraid of losing? These two questions are so locals can have some leverage in describing this place.

Any move is going to change you. My general guideline is "welcome the change" because its going to happen, regardless. Look forward to new points of view, new activities, and of course some great new friends.

One thing I always suggest to a new arrival, especially in advance of arriving, is go to Meetup.com for Greenville and see what groups of people are doing around here. There's hardly a quicker way to meet people and make friends, short of attending a church. If you can't find anything on Meetup that matches your current interests, you can always start a Meetup!

Best of outcomes to you.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you both.

Thurx, to answer the questions you pose, I have only ever lived in NYC and before that in Mumbai, India, so have always been used to the busy big city environment. I lived for a bit in Central Jersey but always commuted to NYC for work.

What I am afraid of is I don't know a single soul in Greenville, so it a whole big fresh start....it's kind of nerve wracking. In terms of lifestyle, I understand that Greenville is not NYC so in terms of public transportation I can adjust my expectations.
I'm just very used to the crowd here, everything literally at your finger tips and having a whole lot of options for things to do, esp in the summer. I'm sure Greenville can offer much of this, I guess I'm really nervous about the change. I do a lot of volunteering with hospitals in NYC, which I'm afraid I won't have the chance to do there.

One other thing I was wondering about, is there a good Motorcycle culture in or around Greenville?

Thank you for all the information, it definitely helps to get a picture of what Greenville is about.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,179,684 times
It shouldn't be too bad for you here then. The main hospitals here have multiple campuses all over the area, so being able to volunteer at one shouldn't be an issue at all.

There are plenty of regularly scheduled markets/concerts/free outdoor movies during the summer months in & near downtown (and some suburbs offer similar things too), as well as several major festivals during the year (Fall for Greenville, the St. Frances Christmas Market, Artisphere, etc.)

BTW - there appears to be a fairly decent crowd of professional 20-and 30-somethings. I see them frequently around town when I go out to lunch, and they tend to hang out at downtown and West End pubs & restaurants after work.

You see LOTS of motorcycles/bikers in this area - everything from Harley to Indian to Aprilia.. Maybe it's the proximity of the mountains(?).

Keep the questions coming!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheart View Post
Thank you both.

I have only ever lived in NYC and before that in Mumbai, India, so have always been used to the busy big city environment. I lived for a bit in Central Jersey but always commuted to NYC for work.

What I am afraid of is I don't know a single soul in Greenville....

I'm just very used to the crowd here, everything literally at your finger tips and having a whole lot of options for things to do, esp in the summer....

I do a lot of volunteering with hospitals in NYC, which I'm afraid I won't have the chance to do there.

One other thing I was wondering about, is there a good Motorcycle culture in or around Greenville?

Thank you for all the information, it definitely helps to get a picture of what Greenville is about.
pinkheart: I too lived in Central Jersey - N. Plainfield and Highland Park. Didn't commute though.

For meeting the other "souls" just check Meetup.

For volunteering, here's a link to all types in Greenville:

greenville.com community guide -volunteer opportunities

There's another group which I couldn't search out, but its called the "Aroundtowners" I believe, and its all about volunteering. Anyone else have any information on it?

For crowds at your fingertips, and things to do, especially in the Summer, you have to see Main St. to believe it. Mostly city sponsored. Warm months, its closed down Thursday, Friday evenings for a party, food, music atmosphere plus there is music Wednesday, Thursday on the river just off Main and Friday several spots on main. Saturday morning, Farmer's Market at the West End of Main (the West End is a good place to find an abode if you like "downtown, compact").

All year you have the Falls Park / Cleveland Park system which allows you to step right off Main and other streets and enjoy the river and beautiful flora all at the city's expense, plus it extends past the parks as a bike/jogging trail for 15 miles to the North and 3 miles South, so you can still get "out" of town without a car or public transportation. This is know as "Swamp Rabbit Trail" because of the swamp it proceeds through about 10 miles to the North.

Not into the motorcycles any longer, but I do know just East of Greenville there's a shop that builds those custom 3 wheelers that are so popular these days. Definitely a lot of bikers here, and the place to ride is on the roads that lace through the Blue Ridge Escarpment, about 20 miles North of Greenville and comprising more or less the N. Carolina / S. Carolina border in these parts.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM

pinkheart:

Forgot to mention: if you like live theater there are at least 4 regular venues within walking distance of Main: The Peace Center (the large auditorium, plus a smaller one) for all types of events, including concerts and plays; the Warehouse Theater, Centre Stage, and Greenville Little Theater for mostly plays, each with their 5-6 show seasons.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,031,912 times
This is all very good information. Let us know if you have more questions. BTW, will you be working downtown?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

wow...amazing information guys!

Upstatebooster - that's good to know that there is a good group of 20-30 somethings, I think that's what I was most concerened about coz a lot of the posts i was reading here were from young families with kids or older couples. Nothing wrong with that, it's just I was hoping for a crowd ard my age grp too!

Thurx -Thank you soo much for the link to the volunteer opps, I definitely see opps that I am interested in and that mirror what I do here in NYC. I'm definitely into biking and motorcycles and the Greenville area seems to be very appropriate for that.

I'm excited for my visit there now and to experience downtown in it's full glory.

So, the job that I am considering accepting, the office is located i think on south main street, I'm assuming that is heart of downtown. With that in mind, can you guys recommend potential areas to live in?
I would be renting a 1 bdrm or maybe even a 2 bdrm apt depending on the rent. I was looking at craigslist and see that there is more of renting homes or part of a home as opposed to renting in a modern apt building. Is that true? Are there good apt complexes around downtown?

You guys are amazing! Thank You

Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM

49 posts, read 76,236 times
The best way I have found to pic an apartment is look on apartmentfinder.com and then check the ratings on apartmentratings.com. Then....ask someone on this forum. I almost chose an apartment that turned out to have a bad roach problem or as some like to call them "Plametto bugs".

I'm moving from Ontatio to Greenville Sept 1st. And I'm 20 something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area