U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM

41 posts, read 130,610 times

Advertisements

Would someone be able to tell me the advantages of living in either Anderson County as in Powdersville area vs any other town in the Greenville area being it is a different county yet it seems to be so much a part of Greenville as does Easly in Pickens. We traveled there about 2 years ago and stayed a few days. We seemed to be drawn to Powdersville but didn't have much time to really spread out and look. We are now possibly in a position to look at the Greenville area again as it always has stayed in the back of our minds. We have two children a girl 11 and a boy 6 so schools and activites (espcially theatre and sports) is a something I wonder about not living in "Greenville county" for recreation etc.

I have found alot of interesting info on this forum about Greenville but not much on the Anderson County side of things?......just wondering is there a reason ...anyway any thoughts, info and tidbits would be appreciated....like someone said of course the internet sights are going to tell you everything is perfect in their town and on real estate sights but you really need to just go there and get as much info from people to learn the issues....so if anyone has anything to say untill we get there for a visit I would appreciate it.....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM

76 posts, read 265,771 times
Default Anderson

I too, have looked at Anderson. I haven't found much info on the job situation there. Everyone mentions Greenville as the place to be for jobs. Does anyone have info on jobs/schools in Anderson? Is it more expensive to live there as opposed to the suburbs of Greenville?
thanks.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 PM

257 posts, read 277,831 times
Most people who live in Powdersville (Anderson Cty) work in Greenville. Anderson is a nice small city, but does not have a lot of things that Gville has. There are some good schools in Powdersville area. It is closer to the I-85 corridor. Easley is a pretty nice town, especially on the southern side of town, but the DT area is older and could use some improvement. The farther north you go, the better the scenery gets, and the temps even come down little. It just depends on what you want, and where you want to be.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,864 times
My husband and I moved to Anderson this past November. Actually, I moved here in November and my husband followed in December. He builds and repairs computers for a living and it took him about a month to find a job here in Anderson. Probably would have taken him less time had he not been helping me get the house in order. We had moved from a similar sized city in Virginia which was going downhill at a rapid rate and we were amazed at how much Anderson and the surrounding towns have to offer in the way of shopping, entertainment and other things to do. I had posted a message before our move voicing concern about allergies. I am allergic to almost all trees, weeds, grasses and mold. Was taking 6 different medications in Virginia and considering allergy shots. Since moving here I've been able to throw out my allergy meds and get by just fine with taking an OTC decongestant and antihistamine a few times a week. Mold count was high where we lived in Virginia and so far it's been quite low here. Our chief complaint about living in Anderson is there is always something to do! We're both veterans and belong to the VFW and American Legion here. Both organizations have different things going on. We also love going to auctions and flea markets. There is always an auction going on around here and the Jockey Lot flea market will keep you busy on weekends. There's another flea market near Greenville but we haven't been there yet. We also love to go fishing. There's Broadway Lake, Hartwell Lake, catfish ponds, Saluda river, plus various streams and ponds to fish in. We now have a "social calendar" to keep things straight. We have two grown children who live in Memphis and Delaware so I can't tell you too much about activities for younger children. We live just outside the city limits in a quiet subdivision. We had looked at homes inside the city, but decided that it was nicer here. Our home won't increase in value like the homes in North Anderson but that's OK. We don't plan on moving again. If Anderson doesn't have what you are looking for in the way of stores or restaurants, Greenville is a quick trip up I85.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 AM

5,408 posts, read 13,246,667 times
As some of you may know from various replies in other threads, I am a big fan of the Powdersville area in metro Greenville. Below are a few positive reasons some people have that you may wish to consider:
  • Comfortable suburban lifestyle with more open country to move around in
  • Decent shopping and dining options (Ingle's is a 24-hr. supermarket)
  • Easy access to all Upstate locations via I-85, I-185, S.C. 81, or U.S. 123
  • Lower property taxes than Greenville County
  • Very good schools (always among the best in SC)
  • High quality dance studio and a very nice 24-hour gym
  • County office and Library branch
I'm sure that if you check out the area today, you'll find exactly what you are looking for. There are several great things I left out in hopes that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM

77 posts, read 225,995 times
Hi Skyliner,
We are interested in the Powdersville area. When I look it up online to do a search of houses, it doesn't come up. do you know why? Also, what neighborhoods would recommend? Does Powdersville have established subidivisions? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,246,667 times
Most of Powdersville (http://www.powdersville.com/default.aspx - broken link)'s growth has occured within the past 10-15 years, so there aren't as many "older" established subdivisions as you'll find in the city of Greenville. Most of the Powdersville area was farmland and pastures not too long ago.

Below is a short list of subdivisions that I recommend (though there are others that are fabulous and you may like more):
  • Acadia
  • The River Reserve
  • Birch River (Hood Road, right at "Y" fork)
  • Kensington (S.C. 81, a couple miles west of "downtown" Powdersville)
  • Chestnut Springs
  • Middlecreek
  • Rose Hill (http://www.poinsetthomes.com/Communities/Community.aspx?comm=14 - broken link)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM

9,999 posts, read 19,811,947 times
I live in Powdersville and work in downtown Greenville. There is at least one established older neighborhood along Highway 153 in Powdersville called Sedgewood. It was built in the 1980's I believe and is a very nice neighborhood. There is also Pendleton Plantation and Hickory Run in Powdersville. They're both new neighborhoods. I definitely recommend taking a look at Acadia. It is a very nice mixed-use development going up here.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2007 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,286,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyNJ View Post
Would someone be able to tell me the advantages of living in either Anderson County as in Powdersville area vs any other town in the Greenville area being it is a different county yet it seems to be so much a part of Greenville as does Easly in Pickens. We traveled there about 2 years ago and stayed a few days. We seemed to be drawn to Powdersville but didn't have much time to really spread out and look. We are now possibly in a position to look at the Greenville area again as it always has stayed in the back of our minds. We have two children a girl 11 and a boy 6 so schools and activites (espcially theatre and sports) is a something I wonder about not living in "Greenville county" for recreation etc.

I have found alot of interesting info on this forum about Greenville but not much on the Anderson County side of things?......just wondering is there a reason ...anyway any thoughts, info and tidbits would be appreciated....like someone said of course the internet sights are going to tell you everything is perfect in their town and on real estate sights but you really need to just go there and get as much info from people to learn the issues....so if anyone has anything to say untill we get there for a visit I would appreciate it.....Thanks
My wife and I live near the Anmed Health Campus in Anderson. It's not bad around here and from what I hear the schools are pretty good. There isn't much nightlife for younger folks unless you go to greenville, which isn't to far away. I don't work in Anderson I work in Spartanburg.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:11 PM

282 posts, read 658,941 times
When you are doing your search for the Powdersville area you will find that homes have an Easley, Piedmont and even a few Greenville addresses. The common factor is that they are in Anderson County. I hope that this helps!

Sheri Sanders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area