Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 18,856 times

Advertisements

Relocating to the Greenville area and looking to rent a house in Del Norte. Can anyone tell me about this subdivision? We have 2 children 5 and 12 and one on the way. Is this a good family neighborhood?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
Well, I lived there for 18 years so I should be able to tell you. It's a very large fairly nice middle income neighborhood built mostly in the 1970's/1980's with 1 and 2 story brick homes. Del Norte has a pool also which you can join to use in the summer. There is also the Pavilion right next door which has various different things from soccer fields to tennis courts to an ice skating rink. Oh and it's in the nice part of Greenville County too so crime isn't much if any of a problem.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 AM

Thank you for your response. Do you know anything about the schools in this area?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

347 posts, read 976,063 times
Hello! I live in a 4 year old house in Eastgate, which I think is part of Del Norte. I really like it here. My step-son can walk to school (Eastside High), and the YMCA, which is awesome. In my experience it's been a nice and quiet place to live, and there seems to be plenty of children/teens of all ages for your kids to make friends with.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

I went and checked out the home today and really liked the area. What is the large recreation center? Is that the YMCA? And what about the community pool?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,649,309 times
You are probably looking at the "Pavilion" as the large recreation center. It is not the YMCA. The YMCA does not border Del Norte, but is further up East North Street and then Old Spartanburg/Brushy Creek Road, I forget which. Brushy Creek I think.

Del Norte had a reputation among real estate agents as "avoid" a few years back, mainly due to falling resale values and property upkeep inconsistency. You may want to see if that has changed. I would have no problem living there if I got the right price and it fit my budget. I would not buy if you can't get a good deal. It's no longer a "hot" place to live and will not command a big resale price, but for a place to live for awhile, it's probably a really good choice.

There were also some properties near the creek that would regularly flood when we got excessive rain. Avoid those properties for sure! and realize that your access to the pavilion may be limited during heavy rain by the creek overflowing the road there. I think they have improved the bridge there and there are less issues (if any), but it's something to ask around about. Ask an honest agent or some neighbors.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 56,927 times
Del Norte is zoned for Brushy Creek Elem (excellent) Greenville middle (OK, but not convenient, it is not close by) Eastside High (again, just OK, but so are majority of the other high schools in town). Overall it is a good place to live and raise kids. As stated earlier, I would not buy there because of property value (which is mostly hurt by the flooding issues), but for renting, I would highly recommend this neighborhood. Definitely in a good location.

Edited to add: I just remembered that DN is actually split on zoning for Elementary Schools. Part of the neighborhood goes to Mitchell Rd. Elem, which is also a good school.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM

I thought that Greenville Middle School was a magnet school? Will my son still be able to attend this school and I actually believe that we are zoned for Mitchell Road. I am in love with the area and can not wait to finally live in an area with a mall. We currently live 2 hours from any type of mall or city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area