U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM

548 posts, read 1,706,624 times

Advertisements

make sure every year you shop around for insurance and then go back to your insurance company with the price you are getting. I've found if you do nothing and just renew each year they increment you ever so slightly every year until you are paying premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM

372 posts, read 627,426 times
I pay for 2 vehicles here in NH. I have full coverage on both. One being a 4x4 truck. My combined insurance is just 716 year. I would love to see how far my policy would drop down there.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 AM

656 posts, read 1,094,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I would expect Peoria to have lower rates than Chicago any day of the week; but 40% more here? Maybe you need to shop around.
Yeah, I was shocked, but I shopped around and Allstate gave us almost the same rate that we had in Illinois. SF was surprised that AS was able to give us such a "low" rate and asked to see the statement of coverage...they still couldn't do any better.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,599,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
Twelve more days and my husband and I will officially call Greenville home!!! Because I am Canadian, I had to call around and get a new U.S. insurance company. Well...I called Geico. We don't get Geico here, but we do see the commercials every five minutes.

When the guy gave me the price for the same coverage I currently have I almost hit the floor!

In Canada, I pay over $3000 a year for 2 cars and we are preferred drivers, over 25 with no accidents or tickets! Geico is only going to cost me $918 a year! I can't get over it!!!! I also saved huge on my home insurance.

Now, I can honestly say "I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

I love SC!
Geico's actually one of the more expensive companies out there, when we were shopping around they were a good $300more than our current insurer. On a side note, of course car insurance is more expensive in Canada, just like everything else; how else are you gonna pay for your "free" health care.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
How on earth can mere mortals afford to drive in Canada? Wow... I know the major cities have really good mass transit, but GEEZ!
That's what we paid in Los Angeles. Anyone wanna guess what the common bond is between California and Canada? Let's just say, it's one of the main reasons that we moved here and one of the main reasons things are so much cheaper here: taxes.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
You crack me up... I am not sure how we afford it, we just do. Our property taxes here are also close to $3000 a year and even with all these expenses and sales tax etc....we have still managed to live relatively comfortable and we are by no means well off. I also priced out cable in SC vs Ontario and we will also be saving $30 a month.

I think the biggest shocker of moving to SC will be how much money we can save. And as a show of gratitude for our current decrease in expenses, I think I'll find a local charity to support. Gotta give to receive......
great attitude and welcome.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 AM

52 posts, read 177,165 times
3 cars, $138/month with State Farm....quite a bit less than GA when we moved here a little over a year ago.... I was so happy! 2 of them are 06/07 and one of them is a 1967 mustang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area