Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,113,685 times

Advertisements

I know the one on Wade Hampton near the Ryans in Greer, is doing this, anyone know which of the other stores in the area will be doing this as well. Isn't SAL like Aldi's in a way??? My Mom said she was told they were opening the middle of October, at least the one on WH.

ICSC: International Council of Shopping Centers

Rite-Aid and grocery chain Save-A-Lot are testing a co-branded store concept at 10 of the South Carolina area stores. Structured as a licensing agreement, the deal will see 10 Rite-Aid stores renamed Save-A-Lot Food Stores/Rite-Aid Pharmacy. Stores will continue to be owned and operated by Rite Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/3585...ve-a-lot?rss=0

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
Interesting stuff! Glad to see our market being used for this kind experimentation/innovation!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM

I'm not a big fan of Aldi's, though I know many are, will buy a few items there if I'm near one. This seems to be similar, mostly private label brands, at least on the SAL side. From the article, below it seems they will just be putting private label groceries in to the RA stores.

Rite Aid will continue to offer health and beauty products, including its private brand items, in these stores along with Save-A-Lot grocery products. The Rite Aid pharmacies will operate as usual.

Is there any SAL stores operating in the Greenville area? I've never seen one, but being new to the area, I may have missed them??? Anyone who's shopped in one care to comment about them, their products and pricing and how they compare to local grocery chains?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
I thought there was one somewhere on the westside or near Berea maybe but i've never been in it. Now however I have been in one in Chicago but that was a long time ago.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,649,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I'm not a big fan of Aldi's, though I know many are, will buy a few items there if I'm near one. This seems to be similar, mostly private label brands, at least on the SAL side. From the article, below it seems they will just be putting private label groceries in to the RA stores.

Rite Aid will continue to offer health and beauty products, including its private brand items, in these stores along with Save-A-Lot grocery products. The Rite Aid pharmacies will operate as usual.

Is there any SAL stores operating in the Greenville area? I've never seen one, but being new to the area, I may have missed them??? Anyone who's shopped in one care to comment about them, their products and pricing and how they compare to local grocery chains?
I think there are some Sav-a-lot stores in Greenville. One in Berea and one perhaps in Taylors or Greer. They do seem similar to Aldi. Only store brands, super low prices. They do a brisk business in Berea from what I have heard.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM

I know there's a SAV-MOR on WH not far from the intersection of WH and Pleasantburg, but have no idea about SAVE-A-LOT

Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Poked around on the SAL website and found that they say they do carry some national brands, along with the following info:

Grocery Store Bargains on National and Exclusive Brands | Save-A-Lot

Save-A-Lot carries both the national brands you know and love, but also brands exclusive to Save-A-Lot. All of them are sold at discount prices so you get what you need at a price you can afford.
Find discounts on Healthy Choice meals, Beech Nut baby food, Hunt’s ketchup and spaghetti sauce, Cheerios, Claussen pickles and other popular brands.
Save-A-Lot private label brands include:
  • Ginger Evans, for baking product deals
  • Discounted dairy products from Coburn Farms
  • Inexpensive bread options by Baked Fresh
  • Seafood savings from the Port Side brand
Personally, there's about 4 brands I buy from their list. If they sell eggs, milk and other staple commodities that you don't care about being name brand (like salt, or sugar) if it's cheap enough, not out of the way, I'd go.

There seems to be 3 in what they say is the "general area" Greenville on White Horse, one in Inman, and one in Spartanburg.

Also, FYI, if you sign up for their Smart Shopper Club, they give you a coupon for $5.00 off $25.00 or more purchase!

Save-A-Lot offers great food at great prices to save you money | Save-A-Lot

They also have printable coupons for their own brands, and they will accept manufacturer coupons for the national brands they do carry. I don't think Aldi's accepts any coupons, correct me if I'm wrong.

So SAL is looking a little better, but will have to check them out before I make a final judgement

Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Status: "I'm not MAGA, I'm an American!" (set 22 hours ago)

9,346 posts, read 9,642,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I think there are some Sav-a-lot stores in Greenville. One in Berea and one perhaps in Taylors or Greer. They do seem similar to Aldi. Only store brands, super low prices. They do a brisk business in Berea from what I have heard.
A former Bi-Lo exec is opening Sav-A-Lot's in the Upstate. There is one in Oconee County and one opening in Laurens.

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

The Rite-Aid concept looks like a good one. Make sure you buy your vitamins from Rite-Aid (Rite-Aid or GNC), since they are made right here in Greenville!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
A former Bi-Lo exec is opening Sav-A-Lot's in the Upstate. There is one in Oconee County and one opening in Laurens.

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

The Rite-Aid concept looks like a good one. Make sure you buy your vitamins from Rite-Aid (Rite-Aid or GNC), since they are made right here in Greenville!
Yup and I see at least one other former BI-LO coworker in that pic too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area