Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
It may be tougher for some people, but anyone can do or achieve anything if they want it badly enough. It's not always the "cool" thing to do, but hard work, perseverance & sacrifice are, as they say, their own reward. Education is the key. There are all kinds of need-based, athletic & other scholarship funds & grants out there for anyone who wants to rise from humble beginnings badly enough.
And that is a whole lot harder for some than others. The ones that things come very easy to are the ones unable to walk a mile in a less fortunate persons shoes. The rabbit hole runs a lot deeper than some know or care to know. Does everyone truly have equal opportunity? I'm not here to fight, just providing another angle to look from. Tell the homeless they had equal opportunity. Tell that to some of my family members who have worked harder than many who are so fortunate are capable of.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,490,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
And that is a whole lot harder for some than others. The ones that things come very easy to are the ones unable to walk a mile in a less fortunate persons shoes. The rabbit hole runs a lot deeper than some know or care to know. Does everyone truly have equal opportunity? I'm not here to fight, just providing another angle to look from. Tell the homeless they had equal opportunity. Tell that to some of my family members who have worked harder than many who are so fortunate are capable of.
Nonetheless.... If you want it, it's out there... GO GET IT! Not everyone starts from the same place. Some may very well have farther to go.... But it all goes back to setting goals, sticking to them, being willing to sacrifice (creature comforts, social life, whatever) for what you see to be a greater destiny for yourself ("you" and "yourself" being used in the rhetorical sense).

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,807,945 times
Quote:
Everyone in a free country has equal opportunity if they choose to avail themselves. It isn't just about working harder.....it is about working smarter. If a homeless person has a brain and smarts.....the ability to think, they can achieve just like everyone else. Does everyone have equal opportunity? Yes. Does everyone take advantage of the opportunity? No.

Not sure how any of this pertains to the excellent news that BMW is hiring 600 more people.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've experienced it before. Are you serious? I know many want to believe this, but once you experience it you realize it. You folks win.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,450,632 times
I hate it when people assume that successful individuals must have been given all of these great opportunities. To tell yourself that they grew up wealthy, were given the best of everything, and never had to face challenges or difficult situations is weak. Almost all successful people worked their butts off to get there. They made huge sacrifices, took calculated risks, and stretched themselves beyond their comfort zone to achieve what they did.

Besides, in our goal-driven and fast-paced society, there is something to be said for a monotonous, blue collar job that doesn't require much thinking and doesn't carry with it much stress.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've experienced it before. Are you serious? I know many want to believe this, but once you experience it you realize it. You folks win.
There IS no "you folks".... That's a "Red State" myth. It's all US, but some just won't believe it.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,294,067 times
Whatever amount of racism and prejudice exists today is insignificant in relation to the far greater problem of laziness and a disproportionate sense of entitlement to free handouts without responsibility. It is easier to complain about perceived problems and do nothing than to exercise self-discipline and rise above the culturally indoctrinated obstacles. Too many citizens look back with regret and become bitter rather than look ahead with determination to change their status. The Dream is possible, but it takes lots of hard work and self-sacrifice. The challenge then is to obtain true contentment.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 PM

98 posts, read 252,581 times
I agree 600 jobs is an awesome thing. No doubt. I guess the bottom line is the temporary workers are led to belive that they too will one day be a permenant worker. I heard that lie told a million times. Let me say this and I will be finished. The temp. workers are treated very poorly for the most part at BMW. I have witnessed downright mean treatment to some of these poor souls. Nobody deserves that especially on the job. In time they will be put back into the unemployment line and back to square one. I just want to caution anyone not to pass up a permenant opportunity to stay there. Like I said, I spent ten years there as a permenant associate. No harm meant to anyone in this post be it BMW or the posters in this thread.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
I agree 600 jobs is an awesome thing. No doubt. I guess the bottom line is the temporary workers are led to belive that they too will one day be a permenant worker. I heard that lie told a million times. Let me say this and I will be finished. The temp. workers are treated very poorly for the most part at BMW. I have witnessed downright mean treatment to some of these poor souls. Nobody deserves that especially on the job. In time they will be put back into the unemployment line and back to square one. I just want to caution anyone not to pass up a permenant opportunity to stay there. Like I said, I spent ten years there as a permenant associate. No harm meant to anyone in this post be it BMW or the posters in this thread.
Just go into that kind of thing with your eyes wide open. You can still look for permanent work while while working there, no?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
In order to see this you would experience life in BMW, or know someone who is working there. But I guess jobs are jobs even if they make half what the associates make. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area