Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times

Advertisements

A temporary job is the perfect job interview! Work hard, do a good job, and you put yourself in great position to be a permanent hire. Why anyone should have a problem with this - especially someone who needs a job - is beyond ridiculous. Especially when we're talking about a company like BMW who pays its temp employees well.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
I agree 600 jobs is an awesome thing. No doubt. I guess the bottom line is the temporary workers are led to belive that they too will one day be a permenant worker. I heard that lie told a million times. Let me say this and I will be finished. The temp. workers are treated very poorly for the most part at BMW. I have witnessed downright mean treatment to some of these poor souls. Nobody deserves that especially on the job. In time they will be put back into the unemployment line and back to square one. I just want to caution anyone not to pass up a permenant opportunity to stay there. Like I said, I spent ten years there as a permenant associate. No harm meant to anyone in this post be it BMW or the posters in this thread.
If what you said is true than why don't the workers leave? They aren't forced to stay there. You're almost making it sound like BMW is located in China or something. BMW has labor laws that must be followed which they are doing. I've taken tours of the plant many times and it seems like a very nice clean facility where the workers are happy. Oh and some of these temps are going to become permanent employees. If you would have bothered to read any of the news articles on this latest jobs announcement, you would have noticed that.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,240 times
I can't speak for all, but I have worked both "temp" jobs and the non-temp. I preferred the non-temp. I think it is reasonable to temper our excitement over all these jobs when the new jobs are all of the temporary variety. Benefits and wages (and treatment) tend to be better if you aren't a temp worker. You always have to be looking out for the next job and it definitely does not give you the same sense of security and satisfaction than a full-fledged job would.

That said, at least BMW is hiring people and giving some a chance at permanent employment. I am glad they are here in SC and hope they continue to be.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I can't speak for all, but I have worked both "temp" jobs and the non-temp. I preferred the non-temp. I think it is reasonable to temper our excitement over all these jobs when the new jobs are all of the temporary variety. Benefits and wages (and treatment) tend to be better if you aren't a temp worker. You always have to be looking out for the next job and it definitely does not give you the same sense of security and satisfaction than a full-fledged job would.

That said, at least BMW is hiring people and giving some a chance at permanent employment. I am glad they are here in SC and hope they continue to be.
It's my understanding that this is the way BMW always hires new production workers. Someone with more direct knowledge, please correct me if that's not true.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
It seems like more and more companies are going to "temp to permanent" positions. I'm sure it's easier to get rid of a temp that's not working out than a permanent employee.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
...You always have to be looking out for the next job and it definitely does not give you the same sense of security and satisfaction than a full-fledged job would...
That is such basic common sense that it shouldn't need to be said, unless people reading this forum have tuned out from reality.

Temporary = Non-permanent = Insecure = Limited

Anyone looking for employment should be aware of the differences between permanent and temporary jobs. If you find temporary employment, you should already be prepared for the inevitable transition to a different job.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
It seems like more and more companies are going to "temp to permanent" positions. I'm sure it's easier to get rid of a temp that's not working out than a permanent employee.
SC is a "right to work" state - I don't think it matters much either way.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,291 times
So many people post in here spewing information out of an orifice of their body without any actual knowledge of it.

BMW does not hire temp workers with the impression that they will ever be permanent employees. In fact the opposite is true, it's quite well known that the majority of these people will never be permanent employees. This is for the assembly line of course.

A large portion of BMW's workforce in SC is "temp" workers (though temp is used loosely, many/most of these people have the opportunity to keep their jobs for a decade or more). Not just on the assembly line but in office areas as well. It is pretty rare when someone moves from a temp/contracting position into a permanent position, because most of the time this only happens when someone in a permanent position moves/leaves.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
BMW does not hire temp workers with the impression that they will ever be permanent employees. In fact the opposite is true, it's quite well known that the majority of these people will never be permanent employees. This is for the assembly line of course.
While some temps will probably become permanent employees thanks to the start-up of the new X3 plant, you are right in that most of them won't become permanant employees. Anybody who is hired by BMW who thinks otherwise probably shouldn't be working there in the first place. It's like having a seasonal job with the Greenville Drive. You know once the season is over, you'll be laid off.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
A temporary job is the perfect job interview! Work hard, do a good job, and you put yourself in great position to be a permanent hire.
Only if you work at the bootstrap factory.

Quote:
Why anyone should have a problem with this - especially someone who needs a job - is beyond ridiculous. Especially when we're talking about a company like BMW who pays its temp employees well.
It's that sad acceptance of poor employee treatment that has slowly killed the working class in this country. I've worked at a few manufacturing places as a full-time temp, and experienced firsthand how disposible workers are in an environment of high -unemployment, low education and low pay.

Good on BMW for offering benefits and higher pay, but realize they are certainly an exception. How do you think their German employees would react to having South Carolina style labor laws imposed on them?

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 10-06-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area