U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

5,474 posts, read 9,927,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I for one would prefer to have it on Saturday. Especially for the religious aspect of having it on Sunday evening, it also allows the little goblins to stay up later and enjoy the candy. If they go to church on Sunday morning, they still don't have to get up as early as they would on Monday for school.
The day of Halloween falls on more weekdays than weekends and the kids/parents handle it just fine on a weekday with school the next day. I don't get it. When I was a kid Halloween was on the 31st period.

If you show up at my door on Saturday it will not open. Sunday, maybe it will. Let's see, lights and electricity over candy for the kiddies?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM

105 posts, read 241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The day of Halloween falls on more weekdays than weekends and the kids/parents handle it just fine on a weekday with school the next day. I don't get it. When I was a kid Halloween was on the 31st period.

If you show up at my door on Saturday it will not open. Sunday, maybe it will. Let's see, lights and electricity over candy for the kiddies?
i dont think the opposition to having it on Sunday has ever been related to it being a school night but rather religious reasons, which i find equally ridiculous.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM

422 posts, read 641,446 times
I just want to be prepared...

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,513 times
so what is official night? i have heard sat and sun? can anyone list neighborhoods for saturday

Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,422 times
We have lived here (Spartanburg area) since the late 80's and there seems to be very little door to door trick or treating anymore. Most parents take their children to a church Fall Festival, the Mall, Boo In The Zoo or other organized, safe, fun events. Many churches have Halloween alternatives for those who don't like the Halloween theme and what is associated with it, but want the children to have a safe place to play games, and get candy and prizes. We are never home on Halloween because my husband is a children's pastor and has organized these events for over 25 years.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM

207 posts, read 312,526 times
We live in Simpsonville and our neighborhood is trick or treating on Sunday--as it should be!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 AM

11 posts, read 19,287 times
I am in Easley, but grew up in Greenville. As well as I remember, we always did trick-or-treating on Saturday if it falls on Sunday. The last time it fell on Sunday, all the kids in our area (including mine) were out on Saturday, but we did get one or two houses who were surprised to see all the kids out on Saturday instead of Sunday. Most people seemed to expect it on Saturday though.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 19,287 times
I found this video on WYFF's site. It's not really an answer, but it basically says that the day we trick or treat really depends on the neighborhood you are in. The countries are leaving it up to individuals. It says that many neighborhoods are getting together to make a decision as to what day to celebrate.

Trick or Treating: Saturday Or Sunday? - Video - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/video/25573191/detail.html - broken link)

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
The whole thing is rediculous if you ask me. Halloween is on October 31st. Not the closest Saturday/Sunday. The next thing you know, we'll be moving Veterans Day because the politically correct (insert vulgar name)'s that have moved down to this area think that it is an inconvenience.

My kids will be out on the 31st. Afterall, it IS Halloween night. Let the right and left wing extremeists have their weekends. We'll be waking you up on Wednesday.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area