Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times

Advertisements

I now work in Greer and just happened to try the new "Lebanese Restaurant" for lunch today on Wade Hampton. I'm a huge fan of Pita House (eat there weekly) and wanted to compare the food. I've never been to JuJu's.

Interestingly, there is really no name to this place (like the Pita House or JuJu's) - it's just "Lebanese" or "Lebanese Restaurant". Another interesting note (perhaps weird): this place is attached to a seafood market...and the entire place smells like fish. I was expecting an aroma similar to the Pita House but was slapped in the face with a fishy/ocean aroma. The menu is 1 page (double sided) with Lebanese dishes on one and seafood on the other. Those expecting similar dishes to the Pita House will be a little disappointed - they offer different items and platters. I ordered a "rolled pita shistawook" - the description: marinated char-grilled chicken tenderloins, tomatoes, turnips, pickles, and garlic sauce $5. Note: the pita for this item is thin (unlike thicker pita at the Pita House). I did order a side of hummus (for $3) which (disappointingly) did not include any pita. The rolled chicken pita was very good and flavorful - I did "dip" this into my side of hummus and the two were excellent.

I wanted to try a little bit of everything (falafel, hummus, chicken, salad/taboule, pita) but there was no platter that contained that (something similar to the Chicken Swarma with Falafel at the Pita House). Also, I'm unclear if they had any condiments (hot sauce, etc) and I was offered none at check out (this was a to go order).

I do plan to return to try one of the platters or perhaps one of the interesting Lebanese pies.

Overall: 7/10
(Pita House: 10/10 - probably one of the best restaurants in the Greenville area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM

8 posts, read 13,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Would someone please share a personal comparison between this brand new place, the well known Pita House, and the lesser known JuJu's on Woodruff Road?
Even though they offer some of the same items, they have a totally different taste. They are both absolutely delicious!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Just and fyi: the Lebanese restaurant in Greer now actually has a name and a sign. The name is "Rolled Pita Lebanese Restaurant", no, I am not kidding. lol

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Try his rolled shish taouk. It's seasoned chicken and other goodies wrapped tightly and toasted on the grill, with a garlic mayonnaise type sauce/dressing - it's delish!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I now work in Greer and just happened to try the new "Lebanese Restaurant" for lunch today on Wade Hampton. I'm a huge fan of Pita House (eat there weekly) and wanted to compare the food. I've never been to JuJu's.

Interestingly, there is really no name to this place (like the Pita House or JuJu's) - it's just "Lebanese" or "Lebanese Restaurant". Another interesting note (perhaps weird): this place is attached to a seafood market...and the entire place smells like fish. I was expecting an aroma similar to the Pita House but was slapped in the face with a fishy/ocean aroma. The menu is 1 page (double sided) with Lebanese dishes on one and seafood on the other. Those expecting similar dishes to the Pita House will be a little disappointed - they offer different items and platters. I ordered a "rolled pita shistawook" - the description: marinated char-grilled chicken tenderloins, tomatoes, turnips, pickles, and garlic sauce $5. Note: the pita for this item is thin (unlike thicker pita at the Pita House). I did order a side of hummus (for $3) which (disappointingly) did not include any pita. The rolled chicken pita was very good and flavorful - I did "dip" this into my side of hummus and the two were excellent.

I wanted to try a little bit of everything (falafel, hummus, chicken, salad/taboule, pita) but there was no platter that contained that (something similar to the Chicken Swarma with Falafel at the Pita House). Also, I'm unclear if they had any condiments (hot sauce, etc) and I was offered none at check out (this was a to go order).

I do plan to return to try one of the platters or perhaps one of the interesting Lebanese pies.

Overall: 7/10
(Pita House: 10/10 - probably one of the best restaurants in the Greenville area)
The fish market is being phased out, I think. Thankfully, no more fish smell!!! They now have tables in there to eat with some Hookahs and tobacco for sale.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
I actually eat at this restaurant about twice a month.

Yes, the fish smell is gone - thankfully. I get their Chicken Shistawook and it's great. In fact, their hummus is a little better than the Pita House (IMO). Also, I never knew how much I would like turnips!

This is a wonderful local restaurant and more people need to patronize.

Some suggestions: maybe change the name of the restaurant? I think the name "Rolled Pita Lebanese Restaurant" is not memorable. Also, there needs to be some sort of combo dishes to try various items or lunch specials. For lunch, I usually get the Chicken Shistawook with a side of hummus/pita and the total is over $9 (without a drink) - pretty pricey. However, the food is cooked to order, is fresh, and the owner(s) are very friendly. Additionally, I much prefer supporting a local restaurant rather than a chain.

Revised score: 8/10

Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Did you guys think the portions were a little small? We enjoyed the food, but I felt that Pita House gave a little more. I actually think that since the name is so odd, it becomes more memorable that way.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM

179 posts, read 462,523 times
I'll have to give it a try next time I'm out that way but I'm fiercely loyal to the Pita House. I even started a Facebook fan group for it.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
I'll have to give it a try next time I'm out that way but I'm fiercely loyal to the Pita House. I even started a Facebook fan group for it.
They're both quite good, but nothing beats our old stomping grounds in LA; Zankou Chicken. I even asked them if they were going to franchise, but they never responded to my email. lol

Zankou Chicken | Home | Home Page

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Ok,
This is now officially one of my favorite restaurant in the Upstate. We went here for dinner tonight (our first time eating in, other two times were take out) and the food was so good we were talking about it on the way home and told our neighbors across the street as we pulled into the driveway.

We ordered the chicken shishtawook platter; grilled chicken breast pieces marinated in lemon, garlic, olive oil and cardamom, it came with rice, hummus, pita and their garlic spread which is PHENOMENAL. The portions were huge, and the hummus is the best that we have ever had. The chicken was so flavorful that we were ripping off pieces of pita, putting some chicken in it and slathering in the hummus and garlic spread. We also orderd a baba ganouj (pureed eggplant) rolled sandwich; it was good, but I thought that it was going to be a hot sandwich, not cold, but it was still good, but the chicken platter was so good it didn't matter. Everything came to $15.

The owners are two Lebanese guys and they are both very friendly, eager to please and wanted to make sure everything was good. We kept raving about the food so much they gave us free desert, which was also delicious. I'm not exaggerating when i say that this place is better than Pita House, I like that they use chicken breast, where PH does not. The only thing lacking is ambiance, but who cares the food is so yummy.

Please, I beg you, if you have never tried this kind of food before, do not be afraid, it is very flavorful, clean and tasty. I mean one can only eat so much meat and 3, bbq and fried whatever, lol.

Give them a try, I promise that you will not be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area