Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 20,248 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My wife and I are strongly considering a move to Greenville to accept an excellent job offer. My wife grew up in Ukraine, and wherever we have lived we have enjoyed many friendships with former natives of Russian speaking countries. We have visited Greenville twice in the past couple of months (what a wonderful town!), but have not come across any Russian speaking people. I realize their won't be as many Russian immigrants as say in Columbia where USC is (although I am aware of a number of French and German immigrants due to the local business interests), but does anyone know of any Russian speaking people in the Greenville area? If my wife could make contact with someone who is from one of these countries, a conversation could go a long way to helping us finalize our decision on whether to accept the offer. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StL Cardinals fan View Post
Hello all. My wife and I are strongly considering a move to Greenville to accept an excellent job offer. My wife grew up in Ukraine, and wherever we have lived we have enjoyed many friendships with former natives of Russian speaking countries. We have visited Greenville twice in the past couple of months (what a wonderful town!), but have not come across any Russian speaking people. I realize their won't be as many Russian immigrants as say in Columbia where USC is (although I am aware of a number of French and German immigrants due to the local business interests), but does anyone know of any Russian speaking people in the Greenville area? If my wife could make contact with someone who is from one of these countries, a conversation could go a long way to helping us finalize our decision on whether to accept the offer. Thanks for your help.
Well actually, there is a decent amount of Ukrainians in the area.....much more so than Columbia (which is kind of simply black or white).
The Upstate has South Carolina's only Ukrainian church......just off I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg (about 20 mnutes from center city Geenville). There is also a Slavic festival that I think is driven by the Ukrainian community around the church.

I'll ask my friends for more specific info on the festival name, church name, etc. and PM you.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Honestly, your best option, in my opinion, would be to contact the International Center of the Upstate and inquire about any pertinent information they have. You could also contact the International Ballet Company. Their classical ballet academy maintains a tremendously rewarding international exchange program with the Ukrainian Academy of Dance in Kiev.

Related information:

Welcome to the International Center of the Upstate ~ Sharing a World of Cultures

Ballet Greenville, SC | International Ballet Company

International Ballet Academy - Home

Greenville Russian Language Meetup Group (Greenville, SC) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/Greenville-Russian-Language-Meetup-Group/?showFullDesc=true - broken link)

Edvard Tchivzhel

Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 20,248 times
Thanks to both of you. Skyliner, the links to the Greenville Russian meetup group and the International Ballet Academy were really helpful. They have provided us plenty of initial contacts to explore.

Also, Skyliner, I have to say you are an excellent ambassador for your community. I discovered Greenville this past spring through your photos of the beautiful downtown area, which eventually led to our initial visit. Greenville is a beautiful and prosperous town with lots to offer, including its great location. Hopefully we will be considering ourselves residents one day soon!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
I've run into a few Ukrainian immigrants from time to time in Spartanburg County. There is actually a significant Ukrainian presence around Inman in Spartanburg County
CityofInman.org - City of Inman, South Carolina

There is also a Slavic church in Inman:
Slavic Church of Spartanburg
511 Edwards Rd.
Inman, SC 29349

There is a Russian Orthodox church in Piedmont close to Greenville. Well, it says Orthodox Church in America which I think (?) is an outgrowth of Russian Orthodox. I went there once for a service and talked to some of the people who were Russian immigrants.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,337 times
I speak a bare handful of words and phrases. My mother speaks significantly better, and my grandmother is fluent. My grandmother, her sisters, and her parents, came over in the late 30's from Ukraine. Most of the family is in Philadelphia, but my mother is here in Greenville. I'll ask her this evening if she knows anyone else in the area who is fluent.

Incidentally, my wife is also of Ukrainian descent, but she knows nothing of the language.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
I overheard a couple of ladies speaking Russian in Trader Joe's this afternoon. One appeared to be in her fifties and the other in her late teens or early twenties.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

179 posts, read 462,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post

There is a Russian Orthodox church in Piedmont close to Greenville. Well, it says Orthodox Church in America which I think (?) is an outgrowth of Russian Orthodox. I went there once for a service and talked to some of the people who were Russian immigrants.
This is my church, St. John of the Ladder Orthodox Church, which is a part of the Orthodox Church in America. You're 100% correct in that it was an outgrowth of the Russian Orthodox Church. Basically, when the 1917 October Revolution happened and the Bolsheviks took over, all communication and support from Russia was dropped and the church here was cut off for a while. As a result it has drawn in lots of other ethnicities and is very evangelic in reaching out in the community.

We have around 5-10 Russian/Ukranian members who are regular attendees and another 25 or so that show up on Pascha(Easter) and Christmas. There are also Bulgarians, Romanians, and other slavs as well, but we're around 50% American converts.

I hope this helps. If you need any more information just send me an email or PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,914 times
we are an interpreting company and we are looking for Russian interpreters in Spantanburg area. Someone interested?\PLEASE EMAIL TO [email]PARLA@PARLATRANSLATING.COM[/email]

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM

129 posts, read 583,847 times
I am interested to know about Ukrainian Evangelical Churches in the area. I am Messianic Jew of Russian/Ukrainian descent. Considering, from my experience, that the Russian Orthodox churches are highly anti-Semitic, I avoid them. On the contrary, I have found a nice family in the Ukrainian/Russian Evangelical/Pentecostal, Non-orthodox churches. Does anyone know where any of these are located in South Carolina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area