Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Piggly Wiggly to close in Cowpens, Pacolet (yeah I don't know where that is either), and Union: Grocery Chain Closing Some Upstate Stores - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/25568248/detail.html - broken link) I didn't even know there were any Piggly Wiggly's in the upstate area. Apparently, we're not "big on the pig."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
I wasn't aware that Piggly Wiggly still operated stores in the Upstate. Aside from the lost jobs, this is probably a good thing. Hopefully a better grocer will replace each of them as needed.

Those areas, located in Spartanburg and Union Counties, are quite depressed right now.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I wasn't aware that Piggly Wiggly still operated stores in the Upstate. Aside from the lost jobs, this is probably a good thing. Hopefully a better grocer will replace each of them as needed.

Those areas, located in Spartanburg and Union Counties, are quite depressed right now.
The Pig is a great store. I wish we had one close by. You really need to read up on the history of this chain. Quite a story to read.
Sorry for these communities loss.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
The Pig is a great store. I wish we had one close by. You really need to read up on the history of this chain. Quite a story to read.
Sorry for these communities loss.
The ones shown in the television story looked like outdated stores from the 60s or 70s. Those can be convenient and effective.

I love the Piggly wiggly down in Mt Pleasant near Charleston. It's probably as nice as any grocery store we have in the Upstate.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Heck, I didn't even know The Pig still (or ever) had stores in this region!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
That's a shame. Piggly Wiggly is a icon of the south.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Unfortunately the trend is that food deserts are becoming more common, not less. New grocers typically are not filling the void when these stores leave an area. Access to healthy food is becoming more and more of a problem in rural and urban areas. The suburbs are where the profits are.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM

30 posts, read 77,711 times
The pig is Cowpens is a down right shame. I used to run over there for milk. The produce was never fresh and the meats looked awful. Their prices are high but I guess your paying for conveinence in cowpens when Ingles was 6 miles away. I always got stared down when I went in there because they knew I was a "yankee" Maybe Aldi will replace them, I like that store.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 PM

503 posts, read 926,775 times
Somebody told me that Dolly Parton bought Piggly Wiggly, as well as Big Star Supermarkets and Harris Teeters, and is going to call the new conglomerate Big Wiggly Teeters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area