Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 PM

83 posts, read 482,885 times

Advertisements

Wow - I'm impressed, Art. I've lived in Greenville 31 of the past 34 years, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Greenville is a mass of contradictions. But I love it here, because despite all the contradictions there is a shared quality of friendliness, hospitality and hope, and the location itself has a lot to recommend it. If you like advocating for change as a part of an active minority of progressives, you will never lack for causes in Greenville, but you won't feel ostracized, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 19,526 times
Default Greenville Area Houses

Art,

I just saw your post on here.. I'm a new member to this online community but am actually a Realtor in the Greenville Area... and yes, quite a liberal myself, who actually relocated to the area about 13 years ago! There are a few of us here and we always welcome some additional diversity. Greenville has really grown in the last few years and there has definitely been trend towards the Arts both in Greenville and several surrounding areas. Housing.. is great here! Lots of fantastic areas! Let me know if I can help you in anyway. be it mail you some listings to browse through or whatever else you may need! I'll be glad to help any way I can!

Adriana

Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 91,618 times
Actually Greenville is not as accepting as these people are trying to lead you to believe. It is still very much conservative for the most part. It has yet to become an anything goes community thank God.
The social climate has changed in the US now to where people have moved away from violently confronting people for their difference in ideas.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:41 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Actually, Greenville is a very accepting place where you can believe anything you want with little to no criticism. No one is saying that it is not conservative overall, just that people of all convictions (or lack thereof) are welcome to live without harassment from those who disagree with others' convictions. Obviously political views have yet to reach the position of places like Portland and San Fran., but that does not mean that everyone here is oppressed and forced into following a conservative value system. Individuals and groups of people are free to practice whatever form of ritual they choose. This is true tolerance in action - people with different viewpoints coexisting without regret.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,848 times
Default An invitation to Art123 to visit BJU

Art123 and your Buddhist girlfriend,

I'd like to invite you out to Bob Jones University. Sure we folks are unashamedly conservative, but you'll find that if you give us a chance we can be quite civil! We would love to have you come visit the campus; check out some of the student art exhibits, take in a play, and be sure to visit the Museum and Gallery.

We can disagree -- but disagreement does not have to equal hatred. I don't expect you to agree with me -- and I probably won't agree with you on a bunch of things -- but Greenville is for all of us. Our love for this place is one of the things that gives us a common bond. So, all other things aside, let's meet on that level.

I imagine this post might bring about some responses of all the reasons why what I've just said isn't so. However, all I ask is that you form your opinion based on your own experience. If we are a bunch of jerks after that, then I guess we are just a bunch of jerks.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespatude View Post

but Greenville is for all of us. Our love for this place is one of the things that gives us a common bond.
Well said!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,753,637 times
Hi vespatude,

Thank you for your offer. The people of Greenville sure are friendly! I assume you have some sort of affiliation with BJU. Perhaps you could send me a direct message and tell me a little about yourself? We would love to see the campus, especially with someone who really knows it well. But I am a little cautious when it comes to meeting people in real life that currently only exist as a new, anonymous forum id. So maybe a DM would make us feel more comfortable.

I refrain from any substantial comment because this thread died a nice, natural death awhile back and I do not really want to give it CPR at this point.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespatude View Post
Art123 and your Buddhist girlfriend,

I'd like to invite you out to Bob Jones University. Sure we folks are unashamedly conservative, but you'll find that if you give us a chance we can be quite civil! We would love to have you come visit the campus; check out some of the student art exhibits, take in a play, and be sure to visit the Museum and Gallery.

We can disagree -- but disagreement does not have to equal hatred. I don't expect you to agree with me -- and I probably won't agree with you on a bunch of things -- but Greenville is for all of us. Our love for this place is one of the things that gives us a common bond. So, all other things aside, let's meet on that level.

I imagine this post might bring about some responses of all the reasons why what I've just said isn't so. However, all I ask is that you form your opinion based on your own experience. If we are a bunch of jerks after that, then I guess we are just a bunch of jerks.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,071,488 times
I am a neo-lesbian-conservative-straightedge-alcoholic-krishna-yuppie-democrat who breeds snails for an underground snail fighting crime ring for a living. Can I move to Greenville too?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 20,325 times
Smile Hello Sonrise

So, I just picked up on your thread while doing some marketing research for my company. I just wanted to say "Welcome to Greenville!"

I know it must come as a bit of a culture shock to you at times. I grew up here and it still shocks me.

Anyway, my husband and I just moved back here from Yellowstone National Park, WY and we're always looking for people to hang out with. I will say, I'm Democratic and more liberal, he tends to be more consertative, but slowly, I've been working on him. LOL. We both LOVE the outdoors and camp and hike whenever possible. So if you ever want to see some awesome waterfalls around here, well, let us know! We know all the backwoods through here and can show you some of the most beautiful places in the upstate.

Find me on myspace. www.myspace.com/deliciathrasher

I hope you're enjoying it here. I can tell you, after traveling for the past year and half, it's good to be home. Once you learn to embrace the culture here, you will LOVE it! Bluegrass, camping, and apple flavored moonshine. I promise you, they're some of my best memories.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,944,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
No, I don't mean Asheville.

My Buddhist girlfriend and my agnostic self are considering a move to the Greenville area because of a job opportunity there. We are Progressives who are extremely dismayed with the hypocrisy of the neo-conservative regime currently in power in Washington DC. Will we find any others like ourselves? Childless, creative, unmarried couples who don't believe in a Christian god? We love our dogs and are looking to either live near downtown, or perhaps the Paris Mt. area. We also would like to be near any trails and/or parks to walk the dogs. We are not fond of strict HOA's, or communities where every third house is exactly the same. Any suggestions? Are we insane to consider moving to the home of Bob Jones University? Will we be chastised as "sinners" and paraded through the streets on Sunday as "heathens?" We basically keep to ourselves but want to be able to make a few good friends/neighbors that we can relate to.
Wow, pretty judgemental, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area